NY

D

dwood67

A friend of mine has a Michigan CPL. He travels to New York on occasion. He has been leaving his handgun at home, which is unfortunate.

My question is where he stands with his CPL once he enters New York ? He's able to carry through reciprocity agreement with other states he drives through but what about NY ?

Thanks,

D.W.

No reciprocity. Generally, it is unlawful for any person to carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he/she has a valid New York license (FOPA and competition exemptions aside).

So he couldn't even disarm before crossing into NY by enclosing his pistol in the truck ? May an out of state resident apply for a NY license and possess while in NY on business ?

Wow, ok thanks. Has upstate New York ever considered seccession from NY City ? : )

Many times. At least for me.
It is rather sad that one lone city has the political power to dictate how the rest of the state functions. You get 10 million anti gun liberals all packed onto one island and they seem to think that it's ok for them to tell the other 10 how things should be throughout the rest of this vastly conservative rural state. Makes alot of sense.

Last edited:
If his final destination is NY state, no.
NY does not issue non-resident licenses.

It is my understanding thru a lot of forum reading (I have not read the laws directly) that it is possible for an out of state business owner with business interests in NY to get a CCW permit.

Non-resident licenses are undefined in NY law, not forbidden so if you can make your case to the right judge you may prevail. Judge shopping is frowned upon.

I have not read anything directly from some one who has [sad2] (prevailed).

Bill

If his final destination is NY state, no.

NY does not issue non-resident licenses.

They use to, but the judge who was running that mail order operation was informed he lacked jurisdictional authority to do so by the county law department. I can prove this to anyone who doubts me, but it will cost you some food at a Chinese restaurant after some range time. Although the NY permit did not have a space for an expiration date, the judge had one typed in the margin of all non-resident permits he issued (mine expired in 1999, and does indeed bear a MA address).

There are rumors of "connected" people obtaining licenses based on temporary, or "one house of many", type addresses in NY.

It is my understanding thru a lot of forum reading (I have not read the laws directly) that it is possible for an out of state business owner with business interests in NY to get a CCW permit.

True in certain circumstances (see below), but I don't know how common it is.

Non-resident licenses are undefined in NY law, not forbidden so if you can make your case to the right judge you may prevail.

Actually, it's defined clearly. The only exemptions for non-residents are for:

1. Those working in NY; or
2. Those owning a business in NY

Bach v. Pataki (2005) said:
The only nonresidents eligible for a license are local workers, who may apply to the licensing officer in the city or county of their principal employment or principal place of business. See N.Y. Penal Law § 400.00(3)(a). Section 400.00(3)(a) provides:

Applications shall be made and renewed, in the case of a license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver, to the licensing officer in the city or county,
as the case may be, where the applicant resides, is principally employed or has his principal place of business as merchant or storekeeper. . . .

Id. The statute does not provide a mechanism for any other nonresident applications. One New York appellate court has explained that nonresident applications would be inconsistent with "the purposes underlying the pistol permit procedures, namely, to insure that only persons of acceptable background and character are permitted to carry handguns and to provide a method for reporting information on the identity of persons possessing weapons and the weapons themselves. . . ." Mahoney v. Lewis, 199 A.D.2d 734, 735, 605 N.Y.S.2d 168 (3d Dep't 1993). Nonresidents without in-state employment are completely excluded from the license-application procedure.[13]

[13]New York courts have limited resident applications to persons who are New York domiciliaries. See id. (rejecting application of a New York property owner with his principal residence in Toms River, New Jersey); cf. In re Davies, 133 Misc.2d 38, 41, 506 N.Y.S.2d 626 (Oswego County Ct.1986) (limiting application to locality "where the applicant maintains his or her permanent or principal home").

The only nonresidents eligible for a license are local workers, who may apply to the licensing officer in the city or county of their principal employment or principal place of business. See N.Y. Penal Law § 400.00(3)(a). Section 400.00(3)(a) provides:

Applications shall be made and renewed, in the case of a license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver, to the licensing officer in the city or county,
as the case may be, where the applicant resides, is principally employed or has his principal place of business as merchant or storekeeper. . .

I realize this is a thread from a couple years, back, but with the recent bumps I have to pose the question...

Has anyone here actually obtained (recently) a non-resident license for NY based on work? I'm considering a job that will put me in NY (Rensselaer county) roughly 50 hours a week.

I realize this is a thread from a couple years, back, but with the recent bumps I have to pose the question...

Has anyone here actually obtained (recently) a non-resident license for NY based on work? I'm considering a job that will put me in NY (Rensselaer county) roughly 50 hours a week.

Good luck with that. If it takes 6-12 months to get a regular pistol license in NYS, how long do you think they'll drag their feet on the non-resident one? I have no experience with the non-res license and have never heard of one being given, but I had a resident license for 18 years before I moved to MA.

YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom