Officer shot by friendly fire during shootout with Gang Banger

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Well, it would seem that a certain state police officer needs some target practice.

Cop’s wound in gunfight came from friendly fire
By Michele McPhee
Boston Herald Police Bureau Chief

Thursday, August 30, 2007 - Updated: 07:21 AM EST

A Boston police officer shot during a blazing gun battle with a reputed Dorchester gang member was hit by friendly fire and not by a bullet squeezed off by the suspect, a ballistic report showed.

Gang cop Stephen Romano, 38, was wounded by a bullet that passed under his Kevlar vest on May 23 after a confrontation with 21-year-old reputed Geneva Avenue gangbanger Antonio Franklin.

Franklin allegedly fired two shots from a .357 Magnum as he frantically tried to pedal away from cops assigned to the Youth Violence Strike Force. Cops returned fire, hitting Franklin in the shoulder.

Ballistic evidence shows it was a .40-caliber bullet that hit the Boston cop, and it was apparently the same bullet fired at the reputed gang member by State Trooper James Grasso.

But Suffolk District Attorney Dan Conley said, “That we now know Antonio Franklin’s shots missed Officer Romano does not change his culpability in the eyes of the law.

“The overwhelming evidence suggests that he chose to point a loaded handgun at a police officer and pull the trigger. It is he, and he alone, who is responsible Officer Romano’s injuries.”

Franklin is slated to be arraigned today on a six-count indictment charging him, among other offenses, with assault and illegal possession of a weapon.

Grasso could not be reached for comment last night, but state police Col. Mark Delaney said the incident shows the “split-second decisions” officers must make in dangerous situations.

Boston police Commissioner Edward Davis said Grasso acted appropriately. “The bullet followed a very strange trajectory,” he said. “It apparently hit the suspect, traveled through him and out into the officer.

“This was a close combat situation,” Davis said. “In a situation like this, the use of firearm is appropriate. Even the best case scenario - you can’t predict what a bullet will do after it strikes a body. This is one of the dangers that officers face when they are engaged in a life or death struggle. The threat is not just from the suspect, there is a potential for friendly fire.”

Romano, an 11-year BPD veteran, remains out on sick leave.

According to Conley’s office, the incident occurred when officers on patrol were keeping an eye on tensions from an ongoing feud between the rival Crown Path and Geneva/Castlegate gangs.

Ooops.....and yuck.....what if the gangbanger has aids or something. passed though the gangbanger and into the cop.....

1. Every weapon is loaded.
2. Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire.
3. Never point the muzzle at something you are not willing to destroy.
4. Be aware of your target and what is beyond it.

Maybe that Statie needs more than a couple of weeks of training in the academy and a once a year qual.

Boston police Commissioner Edward Davis said Grasso acted appropriately. “The bullet followed a very strange trajectory,” he said. “It apparently hit the suspect, traveled through him and out into the officer.

Well maybe it was a shot that went throw the gangbanger off the door..through the pain of glass ..off the backboard.....then struck the officer.....![thinking]

Come on the State troop was not aware of whom was passed his target! And needs alittle more target practice!!!!

We must all be glad it was a Trooper..If it was you or me defending ourselfs we would be up on charges and lose our LTC

Only if he was a Senator.[smile]

"ZING! Squared"

00i_zing2_1.gif

Last edited:
Unless I see video, and even then it's hard to pass judgement, I won't comment.

I agree, it's hard to pass judgement without knowing with accuracy
what happened....

The other thing people forget is how fast things change in an
altercation like this.... the BPD officer could have been in the
clear one second and a half second later he's in the line of
fire. Things move pretty fast in "gun time." This isn't like
plinking out in the woods where you get to ponder rule #4 with
a ton of forethought.

-Mike

The other thing people forget is how fast things change in an altercation like this.... the BPD officer could have been in the clear one second and a half second later he's in the line of fire. Things move pretty fast in "gun time." This isn't like
plinking out in the woods where you get to ponder rule #4 with
a ton of forethought.

-Mike

Not to mention his vision was probably cut down to a straw hole, had a loud ringing in his ears, couldn't feel his hands, and his pulse was shaking his entire body. Sounds easy to me. [wink]

Not to mention his vision was probably cut down to a straw hole, had a loud ringing in his ears, couldn't feel his hands, and his pulse was shaking his entire body. Sounds easy to me. [wink]

I want you guy on my jury! Not those (i believe the term used was) f***tards that are normally on the jury!

No judgment, since I don't know the exact location of everybody during the entire confrontation, but realistically, if somebody is shooting at both you and your partner, you're going to return fire, even if you're partner is close enough to get hit accidentally. Priorities.

Ken

Never heard of a pedal-by shooting before.

Pretty common in Boston and I'd guess in other cities. A lot of these criminals aren't old enough to drive. A bicycle is also a pretty agile way to get away if you know the neighborhood. Down the sidewalk, through a park or parking lot, and you're gone.

Gary

I wouldn't pass judgement either.

It should fall under the same sort of thing as the whole felony murder thing where anything that happens while you're committing a felony is dumped on you.

"Franklin allegedly fired two shots from a .357 Magnum as he frantically tried to pedal away from cops assigned to the Youth Violence Strike Force. Cops returned fire, hitting Franklin in the shoulder."

Maybe I'm spoiled, but since when does two shots constitute a "blazing gun battle"?

lol

"Franklin allegedly fired two shots from a .357 Magnum as he frantically tried to pedal away from cops assigned to the Youth Violence Strike Force. Cops returned fire, hitting Franklin in the shoulder."

Maybe I'm spoiled, but since when does two shots constitute a "blazing gun battle"?

lol

I think the bg was using "Blazer" ammunition.....you know how the media can be with facts....[rofl]

http://www.blazer-ammo.com/blazer_chart.aspx

When those two .357 Magnum rounds are coming towards you at a very high rate of speed from a very close distance. [wink]

My exact thought. It's like someone having a "minor heart attack". That's always the other guy, if you have one it's a "major heart attack".

Gary

Back
Top Bottom