Optics Question

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
hey guys i'm new here. thanks in advance for all of your help. and i hope to meet some of you at some shoots. i have a big questions about optics. i have a .308 bolt rifle that i want to do some tactical shooting with. but i just want a cheap scope with a mil dot reticle to practice ranging.
i wanna see if i like it, and see if i want to get into a little deeper. but don't want to break the bank before hand.

all i need is something to practice ranging basically. its not going to see anything but the range and a padded case. i would like something variable powered also. thanks in advance guys.

cool guys. i like the idea of that. but is there aything variable?

i'm working on a bunch of custom knives right now, so if i sell a good deal of them then i might just go with the nice piece of glass maybe a leupold or something

yeah i hear ya on that, but i don't have the cash to drop just yet, and i just need a piece of glass to get me usedto ranging things. that is if anyone knows of something that can hold true enough to do so without breaking the bank.

if not i'm gonna wait till next year untill i can muster up the cash for it

Super Sniper...

8d3e8876.jpg

Dscf0011.jpg

It brings out the in-expensive target shooter in you. [wink]

5 rounds @ 100 yards

9d40a0c7.jpg

I missed the shell once.

Super Sniper is supposed to be nice, but it isn't variable.

I have 2 IOR Valdada scopes, they are awesome. They are also expensive. But they are great, excellent glass (flat lenses, no air bubbles, some sort of NASA technology). Due to its construction with the nice glass, they are pretty heavy, but you can also use the as hammers, very tough construction. They reside on my .308 bolt action (the 4-14x50mm Illuminated) and my Loaded M1A (2-12x32mm Illuminated).

I also have a NightForce 3-15x56mm Illuminated scope. It is very expensive, but the best scope I've ever seen. The side focus/parallax adjustment on it the best I've ever handled, and it is extremely sharp. Not to mention, it works great in low light settings.

While I think the NightForce is amazing, the cost difference between it and my larger IOR Valdada might not be worth it. I think IOR Valdada scopes are better than the matching Leupold tactical scopes, the glass is just flat out better, resolution is nicer.

That is my take.

I also have

Most Mil-Dot scopes are fixed power, or if installed on a variable power, the accuracy of the ranging ability is only effective at one power setting... usually the highest.

I believe that there are variable power Mil-Dot scopes where the ranging ability of the reticle adjusts correctly in relation to the magnification (I'm willing to bet that they're anything but cheap/inexpensive).

Add my vote for the Super Sniper. For short money, they're worth every penny.

Practice Glass

It's tough to find a middle ground. Personally, IMVHO, poor quality glass is a bad investment. There's really no quality/great-value-for-the-money glass out there that is variable with a mil-dot reticle. If you're in dire need and can't wait to build up some more coin I'd say hit the BSA scopes. They have a whole range of variable power illuminated and non illumnted mil-dot scopes from 3-9 to 8-32 to 6-16(i think) and I think they're all 40mm. I still would go with a one piece base and quality rings(preferably from badger but again you get what you pay for.) Good luck.

If you don't mind fixed, go Super Sniper, people rave for them. Otherwise, spend more money and go for the Leupold or IOR.

Someone mentioned ranging on a variable scope. They are correct, on most variable scopes, the mil-dots and ranging only work on one magnification (usually 10 or something). But, if you get a FFP scope (Front Focal Plane), the reticle adjusts as well, so ranging is available at all magnifications. Unfortunately, since the reticle gets bigger at higher magnifications, on really high magnification the lines can get pretty thick, thereby obscuring the target. Thats the price of FFP.

thanks again guys. i think i just have to save up for something nice.

and in the meantime try to figure out how to use the mil dot, and make my calculations a little smoother. if anyone has suggestions on leanring info for mil dots i'd appreciate it very much. thanks again

Back
Top Bottom