Options for shooting in NH?

Are there any places to shoot around NH other than Manchester Firing Line that don't require a full membership?

I just got an AR-15 and love shooting it, but $16 an hour plus these insane ammo prices is prohibitively expensive. I have some parts coming in, and I want to be able to test them without spending $16+ammo every time. My friend also just got his AR-15 and wants to go shooting, but I can't afford to spend that $16 every single time I want to fire even just a few rounds.

Are there an other options for shooting indoors or out? Official or unofficial? Even a place we can go and just plink for an hour (and clean up after ourselves, of course)?

I'd appreciate some tips if anyone has some.

Thanks!

(I live in the Manchester/Hooksett area, but am willing to travel)

Join a real outdoor club, there are a bunch of them in NH and MA that cost less than $100 for a membership for a whole year.

-Mike

Join a real outdoor club, there are a bunch of them in NH and MA that cost less than $100 for a membership for a whole year.

-Mike

Yeah, it seems my best option long-term is to save up some money and get a membership (they are usually $200 for the first year).

Was hoping there were also some options for some short term plinking somewhere, whether it be a sand pit or an official range.

-Mike

Do you know of any that don't do the whole (sponsorship / read your name out one month, wait another month / you gotta beg to be in our club) sorta thing?

Deering fish and game in Hillsborough it a nice little club with a 100 yard rifle and 25 yard pistol range club fees are very affordable $70.00 a year , the club is very laid back and all the members i have meet seem to be very friendly

Yeah, it seems my best option long-term is to save up some money and get a membership (they are usually $200 for the first year).

Was hoping there were also some options for some short term plinking somewhere, whether it be a sand pit or an official range.

Maybe Pelham is $200 (not sure) but there are a lot of other clubs that are $100-$125 or less. (IIRC Londonderry is like $100ish 'pending on work credit).

There are plinking spots in NH but most won't post them here for obvious reasons.

-Mike

Do you know of any that don't do the whole (sponsorship / read your name out one month, wait another month / you gotta beg to be in our club) sorta thing?

Most decent clubs if you show up at a meeting and talk to a few people, someone will sponsor you. You can also ask questions about specific clubs in the threads here. Most of the clubs in MA and NH worth going to have at least a few members lurking around here. The ones that are a royal pain in the ass to get into are the exception rather than the rule.

-Mike

Deering fish and game in Hillsborough it a nice little club with a 100 yard rifle and 25 yard pistol range club fees are very affordable $70.00 a year , the club is very laid back and all the members i have meet seem to be very friendly

Hm, sounds pretty good... but I can't find any info on it. No website, no address, etc. I can call them, but odd, still.

Hm, sounds pretty good... but I can't find any info on it. No website, no address, etc. I can call them, but odd, still.

they are located on fish and game rd in Hillsborough. They do have a page on facebook and here is a telephone number that I pulled off the New Hampshire fish and game websites list of ranges (603) 464-5138 but i am not sure if it is a working number. You can also email the admin. Lou Ellen Beard at [email protected] for more info

The ones that are a royal pain in the ass to get into are the exception rather than the rule.

It's not whether it's a PITA to get into or not, I just find it stupid. Yeah, yeah, private, they can do what they want, but I feel that a lot of us here want to use these places like gyms. Go in, get your shooting done, get out. I'm sure some people like to go in there, shoot the shit rather than shoot lead, and really take an interest in members, but I've seen plenty of people on here wishing everyone would MTOFB at the range.

Sorry, just a rant on my part. Since it seems easy enough to get a sponsor and whatnot, I just don't see the point of going through the whole dog and pony show. Maybe I'm just blowing it way out of proportion.

If you don't mind a ride and a half, try Pemigewasset Valley Fish & Game Club of Holderness, NH. Only $20 for the year and they have/had an honor box to throw a coupla three bucks in each time you shoot. http://pemi.org/

Are there any places to shoot around NH other than Manchester Firing Line that don't require a full membership?

I just got an AR-15 and love shooting it, but $16 an hour plus these insane ammo prices is prohibitively expensive. I have some parts coming in, and I want to be able to test them without spending $16+ammo every time. My friend also just got his AR-15 and wants to go shooting, but I can't afford to spend that $16 every single time I want to fire even just a few rounds.

Are there an other options for shooting indoors or out? Official or unofficial? Even a place we can go and just plink for an hour (and clean up after ourselves, of course)?

I'd appreciate some tips if anyone has some.

Thanks!

(I live in the Manchester/Hooksett area, but am willing to travel)

$16 is nothing compared to the $30 an hour they charge you at Blue Trails Range in Wallingford, CT. You can't even stand and shoot......

It's not whether it's a PITA to get into or not, I just find it stupid. Yeah, yeah, private, they can do what they want, but I feel that a lot of us here want to use these places like gyms. Go in, get your shooting done, get out. I'm sure some people like to go in there, shoot the shit rather than shoot lead, and really take an interest in members, but I've seen plenty of people on here wishing everyone would MTOFB at the range.

Sorry, just a rant on my part. Since it seems easy enough to get a sponsor and whatnot, I just don't see the point of going through the whole dog and pony show. Maybe I'm just blowing it way out of proportion.

Agreed. I would rather shoot some seltzer bottles in the woods than pay $200 to shoot holes in paper or plank steel targets. :\

If you don't mind a ride and a half, try Pemigewasset Valley Fish & Game Club of Holderness, NH. Only $20 for the year and they have/had an honor box to throw a coupla three bucks in each time you shoot. http://pemi.org/

I saw that earlier. It is wildly out of the way but looks fantastic!

Unfortunately, with gas prices, it'd be quite prohibitively expensive to bother with, I think :\

edit: just did the math. probably about $20 of gas for the trip. may be worth it if i could get a full day of shooting out of it.

I'm going to look into it, regardless.

Last edited:
I saw that earlier. It is wildly out of the way but looks fantastic!

Unfortunately, with gas prices, it'd be quite prohibitively expensive to bother with, I think :\

edit: just did the math. probably about $20 of gas for the trip. may be worth it if i could get a full day of shooting out of it.

I'm going to look into it, regardless.

I don't know where you are in NH, but the club is great. All kinds of shoots, great people and minimal BS. Currently, they are in the planning stages to build a 1000 yard range.

I have a question about pemi, I am going to be moving up to that area soon and plan on joining. Do they do any newbie days or anything? I have always shot in sand pits or on private property my entire life and never really been to a formal range, and don't wanna be "that guy" by not knowing whats going on.

I have a question about pemi, I am going to be moving up to that area soon and plan on joining. Do they do any newbie days or anything? I have always shot in sand pits or on private property my entire life and never really been to a formal range, and don't wanna be "that guy" by not knowing whats going on.

Everything is pretty much explained on their site. Hell, they made me join before I could shoot a match there. But I got a discount because of the match fees and I think I only paid 6 bucks. Check out the event calendar on their site and make it a point to drop by and meet some of the folks.

The Pemi is an awesome club! If you join make it a time when a group of friends can go and make it a full day of it. I go there all the time and look forward to the 1000yard range opening. Feel free to pm me when your gonna go up.

Beautiful club and no problems with people at the range. Well worth the drive!!

I have a place up in Woodstock and just joined Pemi Valley so I have a range I can go to. They have 100/200 yard ranges and 1000 yards pretty soon. Awesome. Plus 50$ a year for the whole family. I love NH.

Chester Rod and Gun is a great club if it's not far from you. Their website is here.

I used to belong to the club and served on the BoD. Indoor pistol range (open 24/7), outdoor rifle, trap and skeet. Great group of people there.

IIRC, annual dues are $125 but you can get up to $30 off that through work hours.

If you shoot at MFL ten hours a year you'll spend more than the annual dues at Chester Rod and Gun.

I can recommend Pioneer Sportsmen's Club in Dunbarton (right next to Concord), where I'm a relatively new member.

Lots of organized events (bullseye, IDPA, Steel Challenge, if you're into that sort of thing), a small indoor pistol range, outdoor ranging including a silhouette range, and a variety of steel pistol bays. Really friendly folks who are safety conscious. No annoying ROs overseeing things, but a very clear set of rules and good member discipline at least as far as I've seen so far. By the way, a lot of guys routinely carry so it's a hot range (except during competitions that require otherwise).

No bullshit procedure to join... show-up at a monthly meeting, introduce yourself to the club officer in charge of membership (a heck of a good guy), act like an adult, and get the date of the next (mandatory) new member orientation session. Bring with you a completed application and a current criminal background check (with clear results) to the new member meeting where you'll go through the club rules. Hand in your check, and you're in. You get a key to the place.

I haven't met every one of the almost 250 members, obviously, but every member that I *have* met has been pleasant, friendly, and safe in their gun-handling practices.

Back
Top Bottom