Out of State/Resident Shotgun

Night_solstice

NES Member
I apologize for the post, but a quick search didn't turn up any info.

My parents own a home in Maine (also MA residents). My uncle (Maine resident) and my brother and I (MA residents) have been encouraging them to think about protection as they (especially my mom) go up to their Maine home quite often, especially traveling at night, and my mom often stays up there alone . While in a rural (but populated) area, we have suggested at least a shotgun (to be fair, my mom is getting up there in age, yet, my brother, uncle and I think she could handle a pistol, but a shotgun would be very well suited for self-defense).

A recent event in the area, has brought home the fact that she as an older woman, is up there often alone, and has escalated a level of concern to herself, and us kids.

What I'm unsure of, is despite OC and unloaded laws, can she maintain a shotgun within her home, while not being a full time Maine resident?

I would love to get her an actual permit, and I think she'd (and my step father) actually take the course, but I'm thinking short term for now.

My brother and I are in the process of getting our Maine permits (need the live fire course, despite having MA and NH licenses), but the point is, she and my step-father are up there on their own.

We (my brother and I), plan to head up in the next few weeks to talk to the local police chief about the legality, I've gotten quite a bit of info from the board, I figured I'd check here first.

(this is soooo much easier with my in-laws in VT!!!)

Thanks

Have your mom buy the shotgun in Maine from an FFL up there. No need for a MA LTC to be involved so long as she keeps it out of this god forsaken state.

Have your mom buy the shotgun in Maine from an FFL up there. No need for a MA LTC to be involved so long as she keeps it out of this god forsaken state.

True but may not be so simple.

BATFE law/reg requires a FFL to ensure that the person buying a long gun is LEGAL to possess it in BOTH the state they buy in and ALSO the state they LIVE IN! Without a MA LTC/FID, the person would NOT be legal to sell to UNLESS they could establish to the FFL's satisfaction that they also qualify as a ME Resident.

Talking to local ME Police Chief about getting a ME permit might make sense. Getting a ME "Liquor License" (State ID) should suffice with ME address on it. Some dealers may accept RE Tax Bills, etc. The actual decision is made by the ME FFL and can vary all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom