• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Overnight elk hunt

peterk123

NES Member
Great time. Made a move on a bull. Bull 1 team Pete 0. We did this Randy Newburg style. Look at landscape, decide where you don't want to go, and that is where the elk will be. We climbed almost a thousand feet but only traveled 800 feet as the crow flies. Ya it was steep. We set up camp up there so we could hunt the night and the morning. The meadows are up top. And they bed way down in the bottom in the thickest of timber. Everyone hunts the bottom....... good luck. 25807.jpeg
Black bear. She had a cub, otherwise this would have become a bear hunt.
20230909_161701.jpg
Our camp for the evening.
20230909_073247.jpg
We had rain. We had sun. We had hail. We had wind. We had lightening. Just enough to test our will.
20230908_101532.jpg
Did I tell you guys we had hail?
20230908_162053.jpg
Just a cool pic.
20230909_071401.jpg
20230908_092346.jpg

Binos on a tripod are a game changer. You can really pick apart the landscape. The extra 3.5 pounds blows. But I will never complain about carrying it again. Do you guys use tripods in tree stands? Bahaha
20230908_132740.jpg

So this morning was a bust. Well not a bust, but no animals. I expected to see some cows and spikes, since they usually bed down a little later. I'm guessing all the hunting pressure has changed their behavior. My son in law heard one in the trees in the morning, which tells me that all of the elk were on full alert. No feeding in the meadows on their way down.

As for yesterday evening. Son in law set up in a choke point near heavy timber. I set up 150 yards away. The bull is in the bottom of the basin and let's out a bugle. I respond. We do this a half dozen times or so. Little did i know that my horrible bugles were drawing him in and going towards my son in law. It was probably 150 yards away. Then the wind swirld, he snorted and bolted. A cool experience. Can't ask for more.

These things know how to go through some real tough country

Beautiful. Dumb question. Is the bear having a cub a no go legally or only ethically?
I wish I could climb like that. Very jealous

Beautiful. Dumb question. Is the bear having a cub a no go legally or only ethically?
I wish I could climb like that. Very jealous
Great question. You are not allowed to take one with a cub. I believe the objective is to take males only but identification is impossible, unless it has cubs. But heck, I could never take a doe that had fawns, so it would be a no go for me.

Great question. You are not allowed to take one with a cub. I believe the objective is to take males only but identification is impossible, unless it has cubs. But heck, I could never take a doe that had fawns, so it would be a no go for me.
Thanks. You are really living your best life. Congratulations

Back
Top Bottom