P99 Stovepipes

I just got a Walther P99 AS in 9mm and it stovepipes nearly every round of Fiocchi 115GRS. FMJ that I put through it. The slide travels far enough to put a new round in the chamber. I went through about 50 rounds like this. It has no issues with Fiocchi 124GRS. FMJ or Tulammo 115 GRS. steel case. Do these guns have a break-in period? I tried the Fiocchi 115 GRS. FMJ in a friend's Glock with no issues. Anyone here have this issue?

Do not say limp-wristing.

A new, stiff slide may need the higher power, heavier load to cycle properly. I assume you cleaned and pled the gun before going to the range? Run a bunch of the 124 gr through it, keep it clean and oiled, then try the 115 gr again. I had a friend with a new H&K that had the same deal, and this took care off it.

Are you SURE you're not lim wristing it? [rofl]

Sent from my phone....which isn't really a phone anymore, it's a computer on my pocket

I have a bunch of P99s and SW99s in all calibers. All had less than 1000 rounds through them when I got them.

My full size 9 is the oldest, had about 50 rounds through it when I got it. It now has about 18,000 rounds through it. Never tried Tul steel cased in it until this ammo bs. It stovepipes at least once per mag, in all 8 mags. I just don't shoot Tul steel in it anymore.

All my others will shoot anything they are fed. My SW in .45 has never had anything but Tul steel in it, and never a hiccup.

Give it at least a few hundred rounds as a break-in before judging what it likes. Also important to know reliability if you will carry it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I have an older Walther P99 Prob 13 years old? Eats everything I feed it. I bought it new. Shot mostly cheap stuff including steel cased stuff. If the trigger did not suck, I might use it more at the range.

I missed the part about the 115gr fiocchi.

As far as Tulammo goes, several of my 1911's experience the same issues with Tulammo, doesn't happen when I use any other ammo brands. I think the loads vary (enough that a weak load is noticeable during firing).

I have seen this problem many times and it is usually the ammo. The manufacturer almost always installs a heavy recoil spring at the factory. This is because they have no idea what type of ammo will be used in the pistol and err on the side of caution for durability and longevity's sake. A lighter recoil spring will most likely solve the problem. Wolff is a good source.

On a new pistol, I would say yes.

My older gun has been having these issues with steel. I had never tried steel in it until availability became an issue. At the same time, wwb was also having intermittent issues, about 1 shell in three mags. Never had a problem with wwb for years.

Thinking the extractor is getting weak finally. Would make sense why steel is worse and brass only intermittent.

To op: My full size nine was the only caliber that seemed to need any break-in. The rest were good from the get go. Try to give it a few hundred more rounds of ammo it likes and then try the Fiocchi again. It may just need some more break-in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Well, I have P99C in 9mm that I carry occasionally and shoot frequently. Never had any problem with stovepipes. As I recall, when it was brand new (I have had it about two years - maybe 1500 rounds through it) there were a couple failures to return to battery but that has not happened since about the first 50 rounds or so. All in all it has been a great performer with several types of ammo including fmj and jhp from several manufacturers.

I also have a full size P99 AS in 9mm. It doesn't see nearly as much range time but no problems with it either.

Stovepipes could be ejector or magazine release issue. Maybe spring break in as someone else mentioned. But I have a Ruger MK III that had all kinds of stovepipe issues until I put a Volquartsen ejector in it.

Back
Top Bottom