• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stovepipe:

milktree

NES Member
Check out this stovepipe:
Boberg-stovepipe-IMG_9507.jpg

The manual said Bobergs were crimp sensitive. Or rather, insufficient crimp could cause bullet pull-out.

This was factory Blazer Brass ammo.

Boberg-stovepipe-IMG_9509.jpg

My handloads didn't do that, so I'm doing something right.

I measured pull out by comparing the OAL before and after being extracted from the magazine:

These are all 124gr bullets

My handloads:
beforeafter

Blazer Brass:
beforeafter
1.151FAIL

MagTech
beforeafter

I had no problems with feeding or anything with my handloads or the Magtech. But even when it didn't pull the bullet completely I had feeding issues with the Blazer - wouldn't go completely into battery. A whack on the back of the slide seated everything like it should, but that's not really what you'd call... acceptable for anything you care about.

In all cases I did have trouble ejecting an unfired round if it had been loaded via firing. That little bit of extra length seemed to make it hang up somewhere that a correct length cartridge didn't.

I'll have to try some 115gr bullets to see if they fare better.

This gun is never going to be a competition or carry gun, so I'm OK with using special ammo with it.

What do you mean by bullet "pullout" ? When being extracted from magazine, cartridge is moving foward. It comes to a stop and headspaces on case mouth. I cant see bullet coming out while cartridge is in a foward motion. If anything a loose crimp would cause it to go deeper in case. If its an unfired cartridge how did it stovepipe by manually ejecting it ? Something isnt right here. Ive been hand-loading just about everything since 74 and havent ever seen anything like this.

What do you mean by bullet "pullout" ? When being extracted from magazine, cartridge is moving foward. It comes to a stop and headspaces on case mouth. I cant see bullet coming out while cartridge is in a foward motion. If anything a loose crimp would cause it to go deeper in case. If its an unfired cartridge how did it stovepipe by manually ejecting it ? Something isnt right here. Ive been hand-loading just about everything since 74 and havent ever seen anything like this.

The Boberg pulls rounds out of the mag backwards....as in the cartridge is pulled rearward first before being lifted and pushed into the chamber. So, if the crimp isn't tight enough the case will be pulled back but the bullet will stay where it is (Newton's laws and such), causing it to, potentially, come out of the case.

My bad. I stand corrected. Id never heard of a Boberg up until this post. And now i can see how this might happen as the cartridge is stripped from the mag backwards...But still must be an awful loose crimp. Thanks for the insight......

Too bad Arnie couldn’t have created a lady’s version in .380 called the “Lauren Boberg”

My bad. I stand corrected. Id never heard of a Boberg up until this post. And now i can see how this might happen as the cartridge is stripped from the mag backwards...But still must be an awful loose crimp. Thanks for the insight......
Do you believe inertial bullet pullers work?

This is the same thing, but powered by gunpowder.

It was factory Blazer Brass that failed. I wouldn’t have called the crimp “awful loose”

Too bad Arnie couldn’t have created a lady’s version in .380 called the “Lauren Boberg”

I had the seeds of a joke like that in my head but couldn’t make it work.
No worries- that one pretty much writes itself. [laugh]

Boberg, Boebert- wouldn't mind a trip to the range with either.

FdMoUzIakAA7QTF.jpg

What's the point of buying factory ammo if you have to run it through the press? That's almost as much work as making ammo from components!
idk but anyone else, but i avoid running live ammo through my press. i know you can, but i don't

idk but anyone else, but i avoid running live ammo through my press. i know you can, but i don't
I’m suggesting putting it in final stage only.

On my 650 for example, I’d empty primers, empty case feeder and manually insert the rounds in the fourth stage

They’d be in the same state as if i’d cycled them through the previous stages.

Wat? Why not?

What do you call the stuff that goes into the "crimp" stage? How is that not "live ammo"?

When does it become "live ammo"? When the primer goes in? When the powder goes in? When the bullet is seated? When the round is crimped?

Wat? Why not?

What do you call the stuff that goes into the "crimp" stage? How is that not "live ammo"?

When does it become "live ammo"? When the primer goes in? When the powder goes in? When the bullet is seated? When the round is crimped?
mfr'd ammo is live ammo, mine is dead until i say it's live. seat and crimp together

Back
Top Bottom