Passerby shoots cop-killer-Thank God there are people willing to get involved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ski Champ Miller's Cousin Kills Officer

Updated 5:06 PM ET May 12, 2007

By BEVERLEY WANG

FRANCONIA, N.H. (AP) - A cousin of skiing star Bode Miller fatally shot and ran over a police officer, then was killed by a passer-by who grabbed the officer's gun.

Liko Kenney shot Cpl. Bruce McKay four times and ran over him after a traffic stop Friday evening, state Attorney General Kelly Ayotte said. Gregory Floyd, who was driving by with his son, grabbed McKay's gun and shot Kenney when he refused to put his gun down, Ayotte said.

The 24-year-old Kenney was convicted of assaulting McKay and resisting arrest in 2003. Ayotte had no other details of that previous incident between the men, and rejected suggestions the officer should have let someone else handle the traffic stop given his history with the driver.

Officials said McKay pulled Kenney over for speeding on Route 116. Kenney took off, and McKay pursued him for about 1 1/2 miles before pulling in front of Kenney's car and pushing it off the road.

The officer used pepper spray on Kenney and his passenger and then turned around and was shot, Ayotte said Saturday at a news conference in Concord. Soon after, Floyd arrived and confronted Kenney while his son called for help using the officer's radio. Authorities said Floyd was justified in shooting Kenney.
Advertisement

The 48-year-old McKay was a 12-year veteran of the Franconia Police Department.

"It really tears at the fabric of the community and the fabric of the state," said Gov. John Lynch, who visited the town of about 900 residents Saturday as people paid their respects and brought flowers to a police station.

Bode Miller's father, Woody Miller, said there was a history of animosity between the officer and his nephew.

"They had a long relationship," said Miller, who operates an international tennis camp in nearby Easton. "There's been physical altercations between them before in the course of being arrested."

Miller said Kenney, who lived next door to him, didn't have a steady job, but often took work cutting firewood and picking fiddlehead ferns, a wild green that grows in the region and is considered a delicacy.

Bode Miller, who once bailed his cousin out of jail, was on his way home to Franconia, his father said. Miller was in Park City, Utah, this week, meeting with officials of the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association. At that meeting, the former Olympic medalist told officials he was cutting his ties with the U.S. team.

The shooting happened near this town in the White Mountain National Forest, popular with skiers and tourists who visited the Old Man of the Mountain, a rock formation and the state's symbol that crumbled into pieces four years ago.

___

Associated Press reporters Holly Ramer and Kathy McCormack contributed to this story.

Co

Such a shame that an officer lost his life in the performance of his duties.

If that were me, I would have called in for backup while in pursuit. I would also have had my weapon drawn & used that to detain the suspects til backup arrived.

Also, seems he tried to take out the suspects vehicle alone. The proper procedure calls for two vehicles when perfoming a take down on a vehicle.

He had to do what the situation warranted in the best interest of safety for nearby persons, however, it turned fatal for him when it could have been prevented.

It's unfortunate that the worst that'll happen to Kenney is life in prison without parole. Bastard should be executed.

If that were me, I would have called in for backup while in pursuit. I would also have had my weapon drawn & used that to detain the suspects til backup arrived.

Also, seems he tried to take out the suspects vehicle alone. The proper procedure calls for two vehicles when perfoming a take down on a vehicle.

He had to do what the situation warranted in the best interest of safety for nearby persons, however, it turned fatal for him when it could have been prevented.

It's unfortunate that the worst that'll happen to Kenney is life in prison without parole. Bastard should be executed.

In a town of 900 people, a second car (back up) isn't always a viable option. Sometimes these small town officers are stretched to 2 or 3 per shift are covering many many square miles of roads, leaving backup 20 min+ away. Could this have been handled differently? Of course, there's more than one way to solve most problems. If it was an option, would the officer have taken a different course or action? Maybe, but he did what he had to do to protect the public. Unfortunately, he paid the ultimate price.

Last edited:
In a town of 900 people, a second car (back up) isn't always a viable option. Sometimes these small town officers are stretch to 2 or 3 per shift are covering many many square miles of roads, leaving backup 20 min+ away. Could this have been handled differently? Of course, there's more than one way to solve most problems. If it was an option, would the officer have taken a different course or action? Maybe, but he did what he had to do to protect the public. Unfortunately, he paid the ultimate price.

Well said.

Gary

Agreed... the story's time frame was very vague. I got the impression the pursuit ended with vehicle contact and the cop out of his cruiser. He gets shot, but there is no mention of when Floyd comes into play. I figured the guy doing the shooting would have taken off. Maybe it was just good timing on Floyd's part... He witnessed the ending pursuit/officer being shot and reacted. I'd be interested in reading a more detailed time line.

Yeah.. I just can't see how Kenney would just stand there while Floyd grabbed the officer's gun after which it sounded like there was somekind of standoff... weird.

"Also, seems he tried to take out the suspects vehicle alone. The proper procedure calls for two vehicles when perfoming a take down on a vehicle."

The above is only true in a perfect world. In most small rural towns and depts Officer are lucky if there is even another car working the shift with them. Hell I work 20 miles north of Boston and have been out there alone for what seemed like forever.

Also, seems he tried to take out the suspects vehicle alone. The proper procedure calls for two vehicles when performing a take down on a vehicle.

Sorry this shows that you have no knowledge of police procedures in small-town America and watch too many CSI type shows!

When I used to work, we'd have 2 and rarely 3 cruisers on patrol at any given time after 4PM and that was covering 26 square miles. To get any backup was pure dumb luck!

EVERY car stop you make is VERY HIGH RISK! And when it turns to shit, it does so in mere seconds, not enough time for backup to arrive. Same as dialing 911 while someone is breaking into your house or carjacking you. The police will get there in time to take pictures and do a chalk outline of your body!

You try like hell to keep the perp in the car until you do get backup, but when the bad-ass exits his car and starts shooting, the officer is NOT in a good position and mere survival at that point involves more luck than skill.

Regrettably in this incident we lost one good man who was doing his job to the best of his abilities!

RIP Brother!

[halfmast]

He was trying to reload when shot.

In a perfect world, backups are available. I usually had ten officers on the road per shift and there were times no backup is available to respond. There are times when more than two vehicles are sent to backup officers. Depends on the type of incident.

Sorry this shows that you have no knowledge of police procedures in small-town America and watch too many CSI type shows!

When I used to work, we'd have 2 and rarely 3 cruisers on patrol at any given time after 4PM and that was covering 26 square miles. To get any backup was pure dumb luck!

EVERY car stop you make is VERY HIGH RISK! And when it turns to shit, it does so in mere seconds, not enough time for backup to arrive. Same as dialing 911 while someone is breaking into your house or carjacking you. The police will get there in time to take pictures and do a chalk outline of your body!

You try like hell to keep the perp in the car until you do get backup, but when the bad-ass exits his car and starts shooting, the officer is NOT in a good position and mere survival at that point involves more luck than skill.

Regrettably in this incident we lost one good man who was doing his job to the best of his abilities!

RIP Brother!

[halfmast]

+1

sympathies to the family and friends of the fallen officer,may he rest in piece

RIP Brother!

[halfmast]

+1 to both

Here is the Union Leader article
http://www.unionleader.com/article....rticleId=e283499c-a08e-4f8f-8e3f-d3cd26253755
AG: A private citizen killed police officer's murderer
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Saturday, May. 12, 2007

Concord – A police officer was fatally shot and run over by a man who had assaulted him four years earlier, authorities said Saturday. The shooter, a cousin of ski champion Bode Miller, was then killed by a passer-by who grabbed the officer's gun.

Attorney General Kelly Ayotte said Liko Kenney, 24, shot Cpl. Bruce McKay four times, then ran over him with his car after a traffic stop Friday evening.

Gregory Floyd, who was driving by with his son, grabbed McKay's gun, then shot Kenney when he refused to put his gun down, Ayotte said.

"This once again reminds of us of the difficult and dangerous work that is done everyday by the law enforcement of this state to protect each of us," Ayotte said at a news conference in Concord. "The police officers of this state, including Cpl. McKay, are nothing short of heroes."

Authorities said McKay pulled Kenney over for speeding on Route 116. Kenney then took off, and McKay pursued him for about a mile and half before pulling his cruiser in front of Kenney's car and pushing it off the road.

The officer used pepper-spray on Kenney and his passenger, then turned around, Ayotte said. That's when he was shot.

"Cpl. McKay's cruiser video confirmed for police investigating this case that in fact Mr. Kenney had discharged several shots at Cpl. McKay before running him over," Ayotte said.

Soon after, Floyd arrived and confronted Kenney while his son, also named Gregory Floyd, called for help using the officer's radio. Authorities have determined that his actions in shooting Kenney were justified.

An autopsy showed McKay died of four gunshot wounds. Autopsy results on Kenney were incomplete Saturday.

McKay, 48, was a 12-year veteran of the Franconia Police Department and previously had worked in Haverhill. Survivors include a daughter, Ayotte said.

"It really tears at the fabric of the community and the fabric of the state," said Gov. John Lynch, who visited the town of about 900 residents Saturday. People paid their respects at the local police station, bringing flowers.

Ayotte said McKay had "prior dealings" with Kenney, who was convicted of assaulting the officer and resisting arrest in 2003. She had no other details of that incident and brushed off suggestions that an officer should have let someone else handle the traffic stop given his history with the driver.

"This is a situation where this corporal is doing his job in Franconia ... he's not going to look the other way when he see someone violating the law," she said. "The history is that Mr. Kenney was convicted of these offenses. If the standard was that police officers were going to remove a police officer from interacting with anyone who has a criminal history that they had some involvement in, that frankly, would not make a lot of sense."

Bode Miller's father, Woody Miller, said there was a history of animosity between the officer and his nephew, who claimed the officer had once beaten him during an arrest.

"They had a long relationship," said Miller, who operates an international tennis camp in nearby Easton. "There's been physical altercations between them before in the course of being arrested."

Bill Kenney, another uncle, agreed. "They had it in for each other."

Miller said he did not know the officer well. "I have never even had a confrontation with him."

He said he last saw his nephew Friday morning, when Liko Kenney was on his way to work. He was running late, but he was in good spirits.

Miller said Kenney, who lived next door to him, didn't have a steady job, but often took work cutting firewood and picking fiddlehead ferns, a wild green that grows in the region and is considered a delicacy.

Bode Miller, who had bailed his cousin out of jail once, was on his way home to Franconia, his father said.

Lynch ordered all state flags be flown at half-staff in memory of the officer. Franconia's Board of Selectmen released a statement saying that the town "mourns the tragedy that befell our community on the evening of May 11. ... We ask that you all embrace in your thoughts and feelings the families affected by this tragic incident."

The shooting happened near this town in the White Mountain National Forest, popular with skiers and tourists who visited the Old Man of the Mountain, a rock formation and the state's symbol that crumbled into pieces four years ago.

It's the second time in less than a year that a New Hampshire police officer has been killed on the job. In October, when Manchester Officer Michael Briggs was shot in the head while investigating reports of gunshots in an alley. Michael Addison is charged with capital murder in the shooting.

Another, more recent article from the Union Leader

http://www.unionleader.com/article....rticleId=e52b5e2f-c04f-4b97-b188-299d170dd507
Killer slain with officer's gun
By PAT GROSSMITH
New Hampshire Union Leader Staff
11 hours ago

The cousin of famed skier Bode Miller who shot and killed a Franconia police officer was then shot and killed by a witness who used the slain officer's .45 caliber gun to do it.

Liko Kenney, 24, of Franconia, convicted in 2003 of assaulting Franconia Police Cpl. Bruce McKay, shot him dead Friday night and then ran over him with his Toyota, authorities said yesterday at a Concord press conference.

Passer-by Gregory W. Floyd, 49, a former Marine, witnessed the shooting and came to the officer's aid.

Floyd positioned his pickup truck to shield the fallen officer, grabbed McKay's .45 caliber gun and shot Kenney, who was in his car, holding his Colt .45 caliber handgun.

McKay's cruiser videotaped the incident. The tape shows McKay, who had not drawn his gun, being shot by Kenney, according to Attorney General Kelly Ayotte. McKay, a 12-year veteran of the Franconia Police Department, was not wearing a bullet-resistant vest.

"This is a terrible loss to our state," Ayotte said. "It once again reminds us of the difficult and dangerous work that is done every day by law enforcement of the state to protect each of us. The police officers of the state, including Cpl. McKay, are nothing short of heroes."

Gov. John Lynch directed all American and state flags be flown at half staff until further notice. Yesterday, he met with members of the Franconia community to extend his condolences and offer assistance.

Governor Lynch speaks to residents outside of the Franconia police station yesterday.
"This terrible tragedy has impacted families, the Franconia area and the entire state of New Hampshire," Lynch said in a prepared statement. "My thoughts and prayers, and those of my wife, Susan, are with the family of Cpl. McKay, whose courage, service and commitment to protecting others is an example for us all."

Ayotte, Capt. Russell Conte of the State Police Major Crime Unit, and Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeffery Strelzin, chief of the homicide division, detailed what happened Friday night when a routine traffic stop ended the lives of McKay and Kenney.

At 6:30 p.m., McKay pulled over the 1984 Toyota Celica Kenney was driving on Route 116 in Franconia for speeding and a problem with the car's registration. Caleb Macaulay, 21, Kenney's best friend and co-worker at Merrill's Agway in Littleton, was in the passengr seat.

Kenney asked for another officer to handle the traffic stop when he saw it was McKay who pulled him over, according to Conte and friends of Kenney.

McKay and Kenney had a long-standing dislike of each other, according to Kenney's friends and family. Kenney was convicted in 2003 of assaulting a police officer -- McKay -- and resisting arrest, Ayotte said.

Friday, when McKay refused to call in another officer, Kenney drove off. Rob Hayward, who said he talked with Macaulay, said Kenney drove off at a slow speed.

Conte said he did not know how fast McKay was driving when he overtook theToyota about 1 1/2 miles later on Route 116. Strelzin said McKay, who radioed in the pursuit and asked for backup, pulled his cruiser ahead of Kenney's car, forcing him to stop.

►Deadly end to a history of trouble
►McKay remembered as both dedicated, complex
►Kenney had 'rough upbringing' but was well liked
►Tragic news of fallen police officer all too familiar
►The 42 NH law enforcement officers who previously died in the line of duty
►Mourners already sending condolences; you can share your thoughts

The officer then backed his cruiser into Kenney's Toyota, pushing it off the road and preventing Kenney from driving off a second time. McKay used a "small amount of force, not excessive" to move the car, Strelzin said.

The officer got out of his cruiser, walked up to the driver side of Kenney's car and pepper-sprayed both Kenney and Macauley.

Once he sprayed them, McKay walked away -- Conte said either to avoid the spray himself or to go back to his cruiser to check on something. Authorities don't know for sure.

Kenney fired his Colt .45, as McKay walked away, hitting the officer four times in the "upper trunk", according to Ayotte. She and Strelzin both said they had not seen the complete autopsy report and do not know if the officer was shot in the back or the chest. The bullet wounds killed him, according to the autopsy, they said.

McKay collapsed in the road, and then Kenney ran over him, pinning the officer under his car.

Authorities said Floyd and his son, Gregory P. Floyd, 21, were in their 4-door Tahoe and witnessed the shooting. Floyd, who told investigators he is a Marine veteran, immediately positioned his truck to shield the downed officer. Then he picked up McKay's gun, which was on the ground.

Ayotte said investigators are not sure if McKay drew his gun after he was hit by the shots or if it came loose after he was run over by the Toyota.

A mourner sits near the site of Friday's double shooting involving Franconia police Cpl. Bruce McKay and Liko Kenney, a cousin of ski champion Bode Miller. (JIM COLE/AP)
Floyd pointed the gun at Kenney, who was still in his car holding the Colt .45, and told him to drop the gun. When Kenney failed to comply, Floyd pulled the trigger, killing the 24-year-old man.

Ayotte said Floyd's actions appear to be a "justified use of deadly force."

Bode Miller, who once bailed his cousin out of jail, is en route to Franconia, his father said.

Merrill said Kenney was learning the job at Agway, was good with customers and had a "good future here . . . I think it's a shame it had to happen."

New Hampshire Sunday News Staff Reporter Shawne Wickham and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

McKay collapsed in the road, and then Kenney ran over him, pinning the officer under his car.

Authorities said Floyd and his son, Gregory P. Floyd, 21, were in their 4-door Tahoe and witnessed the shooting. Floyd, who told investigators he is a Marine veteran, immediately positioned his truck to shield the downed officer. Then he picked up McKay's gun, which was on the ground.
I'm having a hard time visualizing this - seems contradictory to me. (please note that I'm not calling anyone a liar, just saying that I can't picture how it happened)

I think it's incompetent writing and the author meant to state that Kenney ran over the officer, pinning the officer under Kenney's car.

I think it's incompetent writing and the author meant to state that Kenney ran over the officer, pinning the officer under Kenney's car.
It looks to me that that is what the author said. At least, that's how I took it. What I don't understand is how Floyd could have positioned his truck to "shield the downed officer" if the officer was under the killer's car!

He was trying to reload when shot.

In a perfect world, backups are available. I usually had ten officers on the road per shift and there were times no backup is available to respond. There are times when more than two vehicles are sent to backup officers. Depends on the type of incident.

Where I worked, there were many nights I worked one man in the car, only car on the road M-8. If I started worrying about who was going to back me up, I never would have handled any calls.

The world is not a perfect place and those who have not been there (Not meant for you rscalzo) have no idea what it is like to work by yourself and still do your job.

I don't watch television.

Small town or not don't change what's in the books.

The Academy teaches "what should be"!

When you actually work the streets, you quickly learn "what is" in your jurisdiction!!

Small towns almost never have what anyone would call "adequate coverage"!

In discussions about a new proposed development in town, I listened to one lady say "well, if we don't allow this to be built, we won't need the additional firefighters or police"!!

The fire chief adequately discussed his part, but our police chief will never say anything in public [thinking] . As he stood there 30' from me, I addressed the crowd and informed the unknowing that 30 years ago we had 2 fewer POs patrolling 100 miles of roads (26 sq mile town) and a population of of 40% fewer people! Today with the increased population and ~300 miles of roads, we have a lot less coverage. Back 30 years ago we had 35 volunteers (Special POs), with average of 2 additional men (all Academy trained, certified/sworn and armed) on the road on Friday and Saturday evenings . . . those are all gone now.

Until you call for the police and nobody shows up because both officers in a town are tied up, you don't appreciate how little coverage most towns have.

As a few said, you still have to do the job and can't wait for backup all the time.

Also in small towns, if someone is a bad-ass, of course they will have a "history" with the few officers in town. If you resist arrest, yes you are likely to "take a beating" of some sort . . . that's what the word "resisting" implies. The perps don't get to pick and choose who they deal with . . . unless they do something intentionally to goad (or lure . . . as it seems in this case) a particular officer into a situation.

This situation seems like the perp "went hunting" and had a particular target in mind! It's deeply regrettable that the officer wasn't wearing a vest or the results may have been very different. However, I know that when I worked as a PO our chief refused to get us vests (even though the Fed and State grants would have paid 100%) and damn few FT officers wore them either.

This situation seems like the perp "went hunting" and had a particular target in mind! It's deeply regrettable that the officer wasn't wearing a vest or the results may have been very different. However, I know that when I worked as a PO our chief refused to get us vests (even though the Fed and State grants would have paid 100%) and damn few FT officers wore them either.

If you are wearing a vest would being shot knock you down or stun you in some way? If so, I don't know that this would have turned out much different if the only thing to change was that the cop was wearing a vest. This guy parked his car on top of him. I think he more than likely would have died from that as well.

I agree that you protect yourself as much as you can but I also agree this "perp" targeted him and was hell bent on killing him.

It's a sad situation for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom