Passerby shoots cop-killer-Thank God there are people willing to get involved

Status
Not open for further replies.
An Emai that I received today

I just received an email from a former student about this shooting. I have deleted some of the message to protect the identity of the officer.

"Hi Jim,

Very sad time for me this weekend. I was near Franconia when Cpl. Mckay was brutally murdered. I feel so bad I can't stand it...

I cant go into detail right now but understand that if he had been to your class he would be alive today...NO BULLSHIT!!!

He had a 7 year old daughter. The last time I saw him, I had to wait to talk to him because he was telling her good night on the phone... He said she slept better when he called. How do you tell a 7 year old that her daddy isnt coming home anymore...

I am so grateful to you and your staff for helping me with my pistol skills.
I guess all I can do now is train harder so this never happens to me. You guys really do make a difference. Please pass this message to Mike and Doug. I'd appreciate it...

The thought of going to this funeral is tearing me apart....."

Last edited:
If this were in Mass., what do you think would happen to the 'passerby'?

Unlawful possession of a firearm and murder charges, probably.

No doubt. Although in a way, I kinda wish that (if it had to happen at all) it had happened in Mass, as it would have been a perfect test case for what the real climate is for a "justified" shoot.

Don't get me wrong, I am in no way glorifying the incident and would have much rather had it not happen in ANY state. The only silver lining(s) here are that a scumbag is dead, and the GG isn't in a commie state where he'll be run up the flagpole for doing the right thing.

RIP to the officer and my condolences to his loved ones.

I was up in Franconia a couple of weekends back. It is a beautiful area but I did not feel safe (and I was glad I was carrying) - in the towns up there there seemed to be a lot of teens and twenty-somethings just hanging around giving off "predator" vibes (if you know what I mean).

Sad, sad case. I know coverage in a small town can be spotty, but it sounds like there's more going on here than just being caught out there with no backup.

First, I find the whole issue of the "bystander" to be extremely fishy. Nothing I've read about how it went down makes sense when it gets to that part...as some of you have said already, where was the officer after being run over? How could the ex-marine have positioned his truck as described and how did he get access to the fallen officer's firearm? Hopefully new details will come to light. As for the officer himself, a couple things don't add up, the first and foremost being, knowing that he and the perp had a mutual dislike for each other and a history of problems, why the hell would be walk away from the car after pepper spraying the inside? If anything, he should have had that door open and that guy on the ground before the tears were done pouring from his eyes...wtf?

As for the "this guy was hunting for the officer, etc. etc..." I'm gonna have to give the Tin Foil Helmet award...I mean, c'mon. If this guy had it in for the officer to the extent that he was "hunting" him, he wouldn't have waited a year after their most heated confrontation, hoping to get pulled over by the guy. He also wouldn't have driven off the first time...seems like he got pissed after getting sprayed, and with the bad blood between them already, just lost control and let his emotions get the best of him, and did a terrible and stupid thing...I think its pretty obvious.

So please, no conspiracy theories, just let the officer rest in peace.

Sad, sad case. I know coverage in a small town can be spotty, but it sounds like there's more going on here than just being caught out there with no backup.

First, I find the whole issue of the "bystander" to be extremely fishy. Nothing I've read about how it went down makes sense when it gets to that part...as some of you have said already, where was the officer after being run over? How could the ex-marine have positioned his truck as described and how did he get access to the fallen officer's firearm? Hopefully new details will come to light. As for the officer himself, a couple things don't add up, the first and foremost being, knowing that he and the perp had a mutual dislike for each other and a history of problems, why the hell would be walk away from the car after pepper spraying the inside? If anything, he should have had that door open and that guy on the ground before the tears were done pouring from his eyes...wtf?

As for the "this guy was hunting for the officer, etc. etc..." I'm gonna have to give the Tin Foil Helmet award...I mean, c'mon. If this guy had it in for the officer to the extent that he was "hunting" him, he wouldn't have waited a year after their most heated confrontation, hoping to get pulled over by the guy. He also wouldn't have driven off the first time...seems like he got pissed after getting sprayed, and with the bad blood between them already, just lost control and let his emotions get the best of him, and did a terrible and stupid thing...I think its pretty obvious.

So please, no conspiracy theories, just let the officer rest in peace.
WTF??

You say:

"...there's more going on here than just being caught out there with no backup."
"I find the whole issue of the "bystander" to be extremely fishy."
"...a couple things don't add up..."

i.e. conspiracy theories, then have the balls to say "So please, no conspiracy theories?"

I say again: WTF?

I am still new here and probably won’t make many friends with this post, but I agree that this whole story leaves me with a lot of questions. Things just don’t seem to add up and I would like to hear more about this incident. Like many of you I don’t believe everything I read in the papers and I know sometimes the facts are wrong.

I feel sad for everyone involved, the families of both the officer and the suspect. I am not some heartless bast**d, but I just don’t necessarily believe a man in a uniform can do no wrong. I know there are many people with a law enforcement background here, but if you try to tell me all cops are honest straight shooters I will have to call you a liar or an idealist living in a bubble.

If you believe everything you read in the papers then you won’t have to look far for examples of police officers doing things just as bad as criminals. We have a drunken cop shooting his fellow officer so he could DUI, officers accepting bribes in their patrol cars, officers accepting money to protect after-hours parties with prostitution and drug use, officers accepting money to protect drug shipments. This is just what I can think of in the past few months in our local papers here in Boston.

We should take this all at face value?
Dirty cops only exist in big cities?

Let’s forget the papers and bad reporting. If you really want I can detail several personal experiences that I know are true, not speculation. Have you ever seen a police officer pull up to a party in his cruiser, in uniform, drink a beer, do a few lines of coke casually and then drive off? Radio “hot” the whole time? I have.

But, here is one that is even better. I used to know a family up the street from my parents house very well. A neighborhood kid was caught several times peeping in their bathroom window and that of several other neighbors. Happened repeatedly to the point where first his mother was confronted directly by angry neighbors and then charges were pressed, at least by the family I know personally. They had two daughters and two sons. One of the sons caught the kid red handed doing it to his sister and previously they had several unidentified incidents of peeping. This man is now a police officer on the town force and the parents still live in town. What if you were one of the now grown daughters and you were pulled over alone on a dark secluded street by this man? Now an officer in uniform with authority to arrest, pepper spray, a gun, and handcuffs. Would it make you uncomfortable? What if he tried to pull some Bad Lieutenant type sh$t? What if he tried to mace you and you had a CCW on you?

Is that too much tinfoil hat and conspiracy theory for you? Sure I’m extrapolating and saying what if, but I agree with other posters that I want to know more about this situation. Something just doesn’t sit right.

I guess I am really angry because many people here are totally discounting the possibility of the police brutality claim of the suspect. Is it because he was a white guy from New Hampshire? Police brutality doesn’t happen? Or just only to minorities in big cities?

I guess I might get banned for this post, but I’m just expressing my honest feelings right now.
I like NES a lot, but I don’t always agree with people here. I think that is a good thing though and I like intelligent debate.
I do have a good friend who is a police officer and I have met many police officers who were professional and in general nice people.
I respect that it is a tough job that many people wouldn’t do and that it is sometimes dangerous work.
However I don’t respect everyone just because they wear a uniform. Respect is earned by actions and character of the individual, it does not come with the job.

I feel bad for all involved, but don’t trust what you read in the papers as fact.

SOX

I think we should let it rest, this is hard topic for many to talk about who knew this officer. My condolences go out to his family.

Wow...

If you believe everything you read in the papers then you won’t have to look far for examples of police officers doing things just as bad as criminals. We have a drunken cop shooting his fellow officer so he could DUI, officers accepting bribes in their patrol cars, officers accepting money to protect after-hours parties with prostitution and drug use, officers accepting money to protect drug shipments. This is just what I can think of in the past few months in our local papers here in Boston.

We should take this all at face value?
Dirty cops only exist in big cities?

I guess I am really angry because many people here are totally discounting the possibility of the police brutality claim of the suspect. Is it because he was a white guy from New Hampshire? Police brutality doesn’t happen? Or just only to minorities in big cities?

SOX

Okay, I can't pass on this one........

I don't think anyone discounts that there are bad apples in every walk of life (power corrupt hypocritical politicians and drug addicted medical people anyone?) Or that taking what you see/read in any media source as gospel for the truth.

Yet......... I don't see anything in your response/concerns that even begins to warrant the cop taking 4 shots into his torso and then being run over. Those actions alone SHOULD cause public outrage and I'm glad to see that there is a fair amount here! I'm not saying there aren't 2 sides to stories (although I could give a steaming stack of feces about the perps side to this one)but come on..... Freakin murdering someone? All pissing matches, past history, cross dressing love quadrangles (my enhancement for readers enjoyment :) ) aside...... Let me think, even if accusations are true:

Stopping the dink for speeding justify shooting cop - strike one
Use of OC spray on perp that was apparently not complying to lawful orders justifying shooting cop - NOGO
Past claims of brutality justifying murder - don't think so
Prior history of interactions justify murder - nope again.

What concerns me is that you offer an opinion that maybe the perp was victimized/had some reason for his actions (You should be proud to be a MA resident and should perhaps consider running for govenor!).

I don't appreciate how your anger towards individuals that you've apparently witnessed abusing their authority could allow you to even consider that murder of an officer while lawfully performing his duty may have a pertinent and potential equal other side to the story.

Hint: If on a MV stop, follow the direction/orders of the officer. Not pulling over (i.e. pursuit, regardless of the speed ) is a criminal and arrestable offense in MA. Even if you think that the orders are unjustified at the time, officer safety is paramount and that may very well be playing into the officer's directions. Complain about them later if you feel compelled.

BTW - I don't believe you should and if I've been following the mood of the board don't think you would be banned at all. Open forums allow mutual appreciation of perspectives........

My perspectives...

May the Officer rest in peace and hopefully we can learn from his death to prevent future tragedies.... Thoughts to his family for their loss.

To the pussbag - good riddance, hope you died before you bred.
To the pussbags family, I do feel for their pain. Hope the apple fell far fromt he tree on this one.

NT

it is sad it came to this all over "speeding". Take the ticket or the dui and move on. This obviously didn't turn out the best way possible.

And I agree that police brutality, bullying and harrassment are not just restricted to the big cities.

There was a history of bad blood between these two...no question about that becasue that seems to be the only consistancy in all the reports.

No matter what you cannot shoot and kill for something as stupid as speeding. Their history more than likely played a roll in how both behaved during this incident at least to the point where the BG probably told the cop to FO before he sped off from the intial stop.

But I also don't think the cop was out of line for chasing him down and pushing him off the road with his cruiser after he fled nor do I feel he was abusive in that he used his pepper spray. At that point the driver had already resisted and broke the law.

Now.....did the cop pull him over for doing 52 in a 50? Maybe.....Maybe not. We just don't know.

But what I do know is that given the information we were given, as far as you can stretch this, there was no reason for that idiot to shoot the cop.

WTF??

You say:

"...there's more going on here than just being caught out there with no backup."
"I find the whole issue of the "bystander" to be extremely fishy."
"...a couple things don't add up..."

i.e. conspiracy theories, then have the balls to say "So please, no conspiracy theories?"

I say again: WTF?

No. Those aren't consipiracy theories. A theory would offer an alternative version of the story. I don't have one, I just think that the situation as reported has some holes in it, as several forum members do as well.

Last edited:
Okay, I can't pass on this one........

I don't think anyone discounts that there are bad apples in every walk of life (power corrupt hypocritical politicians and drug addicted medical people anyone?) Or that taking what you see/read in any media source as gospel for the truth.

Yet......... I don't see anything in your response/concerns that even begins to warrant the cop taking 4 shots into his torso and then being run over. Those actions alone SHOULD cause public outrage and I'm glad to see that there is a fair amount here! I'm not saying there aren't 2 sides to stories (although I could give a steaming stack of feces about the perps side to this one)but come on..... Freakin murdering someone? All pissing matches, past history, cross dressing love quadrangles (my enhancement for readers enjoyment :) ) aside...... Let me think, even if accusations are true:

Stopping the dink for speeding justify shooting cop - strike one
Use of OC spray on perp that was apparently not complying to lawful orders justifying shooting cop - NOGO
Past claims of brutality justifying murder - don't think so
Prior history of interactions justify murder - nope again.

What concerns me is that you offer an opinion that maybe the perp was victimized/had some reason for his actions (You should be proud to be a MA resident and should perhaps consider running for govenor!).

I don't appreciate how your anger towards individuals that you've apparently witnessed abusing their authority could allow you to even consider that murder of an officer while lawfully performing his duty may have a pertinent and potential equal other side to the story.

Hint: If on a MV stop, follow the direction/orders of the officer. Not pulling over (i.e. pursuit, regardless of the speed ) is a criminal and arrestable offense in MA. Even if you think that the orders are unjustified at the time, officer safety is paramount and that may very well be playing into the officer's directions. Complain about them later if you feel compelled.

BTW - I don't believe you should and if I've been following the mood of the board don't think you would be banned at all. Open forums allow mutual appreciation of perspectives........

My perspectives...

May the Officer rest in peace and hopefully we can learn from his death to prevent future tragedies.... Thoughts to his family for their loss.

To the pussbag - good riddance, hope you died before you bred.
To the pussbags family, I do feel for their pain. Hope the apple fell far fromt he tree on this one.

NT

This is the kind of blind devotion to anyone in a uniform that I think Sox was talking about. First off, we don't know the full story, period. Usually when two people have bad blood it's a two way street...and while I really can't think of anything that would justify the cop getting shot, I don't feel it's my place to judge, either the cop or the perp in this case, seeing as 1. I don't know either of them from Adam (like most of the rest of you) and 2. I don't know the extent of the history between the two (but it's probably safe to say that it didn't all start behind a "resisting arrest" charge). I just don't agree with the whole "cops can do no wrong" attitude that I see ALOT on this site, and while I respect and appreciate the many good people in law enforcment, the many cases I've personally experienced with scumbags that should never be wearing a badge precludes me from worshipping anyone just because of thier uniform...as Sox put quite well, respect comes from your actions, not the clothes you wear as part of your profession, and WAY too many people, particularly in law enforcement, just don't see it that way. And it's not anger making me say that, it's experience. I'm not angry at the crooked cops I've come across...why would you be angry at a worthless turd of a person that uses their authority to make up for the fact that they were pussies their whole lives (one actual individual, not indicative of all the bad cops I know or any of the good ones.)? I didn't see any "anger" in Sox's post either, so where did that come from?

That being said, my condolences go out to both families. I know they're going through hell right about now.

Last edited:
...I guess I am really angry because many people here are totally discounting the possibility of the police brutality claim of the suspect. Is it because he was a white guy from New Hampshire? Police brutality doesn’t happen? Or just only to minorities in big cities?
I think you've misread things. Nothing I've read here discounts the fact that police brutality does happen and is not confined to any particular race or location.

However, in this case there really does not appear to be evidence to support such a claim. Certainly and absolutely nothing that would come even close to justifying the use of deadly force by Kennedy, let along deadly force against a police officer. There's been nothing reported regarding the original traffic stop that would lead ANYONE to conclude that he was in immediate fear for his life.

Once he chose to drive away he chose to turn the situation into a confrontation. I would suggest the officer's subsequent actions were FULLY justified by the perpetrator's actions, and even then did not even come close to being a threat to Kennedy's life. Nothing that has been reported provides ANY justification for shooting the officer; none what so ever. Some of the information may explain why he did so but in no way justifies his actions.

I guess I might get banned for this post, but I’m just expressing my honest feelings right now.
I like NES a lot, but I don’t always agree with people here. I think that is a good thing though and I like intelligent debate.
I've found as long as you keep it civil and stay away from personal insults/attacks the mods here are quite reasonable.
However I don’t respect everyone just because they wear a uniform. Respect is earned by actions and character of the individual, it does not come with the job.
That sounds nice if you know everyone you deal with, but it's not reasonable. So how do you determine whether to respect someone you don't know?

Also, respect and trust are 2 different things to me. You can respect somebody, at least somewhat, and not trust them. For example, in the case of the officer you mention I would still behave with a basic level of respect toward him when in uniform, but not really trust him. Personally, respect is almost always a given, trust needs to be earned.

Last edited:
That sounds nice if you know everyone you deal with, but it's not reasonable. So how do you determine whether to respect someone you don't know?

Also, respect and trust are 2 different things to me. You can respect somebody, at least somewhat, and not trust them. For example, in the case of the officer you mention I would still behave with a basic level of respect toward him when in uniform, but not really trust him. Personally, respect is almost always a given, trust needs to be earned.
I will extend respect to the wearer of the uniform until s/he shows that it is not deserved. Trust? Um... no. As you say, that has to be earned.

And like others on this board, I've run across a few bad apples who I wouldn't trust with a dull butterknife, much less a badge and a gun.

Here goes..

This is the kind of blind devotion to anyone in a uniform that I think Sox was talking about.
First off, we don't know the full story, period.
I just don't agree with the whole "cops can do no wrong" attitude that I see ALOT on this site, and while I respect and appreciate the many good people in law enforcment, the many cases I've personally experienced with scumbags that should never be wearing a badge precludes me from worshipping anyone just because of thier uniform...
as Sox put quite well, respect comes from your actions, not the clothes you wear as part of your profession, and WAY too many people, particularly in law enforcement, just don't see it that way.

Again, not sure where this blind devotion concept is coming from. All I'm trying to communicate is that

A) First and foremost that I have respect for the Officer that died. I also recognize the sacrifice that he made. I did not know him nor do I need to. He was a member of our society that was recognized by his community and state to represent the law. Contrary to popular belief, a selection process/background investigation occurs prior to hire as a LEO in every department that I am aware of. This is then followed by an academy and training. Does this make LEO's different from other citizens? (Notice word choice, not better or worse but different) Yes it does. It means that you are held to a higher standard in court and also in your community. I think any professionals are different than other people when they are in the area of their specialty. Is the average non trained/certified/professionally credentialled person allowed to walk into an ER and help with people's care or even go into your local McDonalds and work the register? No. There are social roles that are expected.
LEO's specialty is to intervene where requested or deemed appropriate and then to resolve issues by enforcing the LAWS that were made by people that were VOTED into office. Don't want to repset the individual person assigned to enforce laws because they haven't "earned it"? Your choice, and be ever so thankful that you exist in a democratic society. What scares me is that I hear the same mouthful of crap from gang bangers as an excuse for their violent actions. "He disrepsected me......" Spare me the cry of victimization when people make other bad choices on top of "not repsecting who hasn't earned it" and pay the consequences for those choices.

LEO's are aware that every day they may die performing their job. Do they agree with all laws? No, no one does. Have they made the commitment to put their life at risk regardless? I suppose so. I ask both Sox and Major, would you be willing to make that same commitment? If so, feel free to take the civil service test and try the shoes on for size. If not, then maybe a degree of respect for the individuals choice of and training inthe profession is warranted. I have respect for my accountant doing my taxes correctly.

B) that I think that the perp was GUILTY OF MURDER (you can poll the witnesses if you want I suppose and then compare those "details" to the definition of murder if you disagree....)

C) I forgot the mention on my first rambling that the bystander's actions were phenomenal. Kudos to his (and his son's) training (Marine) and willingness to take action. BTW, how come Sox, Major you are not hammering on this guys act of shooting the poor victimized POS? Do you respect him because he was NOT an LEO? Just wondering why the LEO doesn't warrant your "respect" for getting murdered.

and finally
D) No, we don't know all the details. We never will, neither will the media. Once again, decisions were made in split seconds that had fatal consequences. Welcome to the world of combat. By participating in opinionated arm chair quarterbacking specifically stating a LEO who died in line of duty should be respected is itself a crime and concerns me. (Disclaimer in case something is read into this statement: Please note I am NOT saying an investigation should be avoided or "covered up") Everyone is entitled to opinions, perspective. Some worry me.

Two men died violently. One man is living that took another's life. There are many victims in this situation. Regardless, a level of respect of a professional who lost his life serving the community does not equal blind devotion to anyone in uniform.

Your choice, being the loudest fan and doing the Monday morning rehash of the game over coffee or put on the uniform and get into the game......

[/QUOTE]I didn't see any "anger" in Sox's post either, so where did that come from?[/QUOTE]

***Attention to detail... It keeps you alive. See the post below your original with Sox's quote about feeling angry***

Respectfully, NT

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is this - there was a news report I saw about this from a local NH station that was very interesting. It sounded as though there were more people who had a problem with this officer in that town. Not defending or castigating, but it surely seems as though all of the facts aren't being reported - nor will they be, I'm pretty sure. [thinking]

IF you are an Officer in a small rural town you are going to make enimies no matter what you do. Some times certain people feel that because they are locals,then the law does not apply to them.When the law is applied to them,they immedaitely cry about being mistreated and picked on. I worked in a small town and had a local actually tell me the law only applies to non residents !!!

Small town cops. Loved or hated. Everyone knows everyone and everything.

There ARE some missing elements to the story that I find interesting... but we'll probably never hear them.

Its pretty much established that there was bad blood between officer and perp. No surprise there either. Small town.

Its a sad situation where we have to defend the cop's actions and honor because we've been disappointed before.

Although I'm having trouble getting the geometry straight in my mind, one thing is clear: The dashcam showed McKay shot four times before he drew his weapon, and then run over.

Whether he was Andy Taylor or Barney Fife, that action is wrong and should be condemned. Discussions about whether or not we trust LEO's, or whether or not this guy had the temperament for small-town policing are missing the main point.

Regardless of what the officer's alleged reputation was, he did not deserve to be killed, especially for something as simple as a traffic stop! All of you cop bashers out there, and I've seen more than a few post in this thread, what are you going to do when someones following you, threatening you, breaking into your house, burglarized your home, stole your car, etc? If you hate cops that much, especially when you have no respect for an officer you don't know, since he hasn't "earned" your respect, I hope you won't call on them for help! It's a two way street guys.

Nobody has to respect every officer they interact with. I'm a temporarily disabled LEO, and I certainly worked with more than a few that I didn't like. But, it's not the person you respect, it's the position. It sounds like you have no respect for them, unless they prove that they are "worthy" of your respect. Honestly, I don't care if people like you don't respect me. I do the right thing when I'm working, and if that's not enough, I really don't care what you think of me.

Working in a small town is tough, especially when you live in that same small town. I've had to arrest two of my neighbors for Domestic Violence before. They felt that I had no right doing that, since I knew them. Sorry, doesn't work that way.

I've made traffic stops where town residents threw a fit, telling me to pull over the commuters travelling through town instead. I would have let them off with a warning if they had a better attitude (I'm not big on tickets to begin with), but they earned that citation.

Yes, there are always two sides to every story. But, although some are posting that they don't feel the officer deserved to be shot, they do seem to be siding with the killer in this instance, because of the bad blood between them and the feeling he was targeting him. Sorry, but no matter what you say, your true colors are showing through here. Obviously, you dislike cops, and are looking for any reason to side against them. But, from what I've found, most people who dislike cops usually have a reason for disliking them. Usually a reason they brought on themselves.

There's one resident here who has been arrested at least 20 times for OUI, Domestic and Disorderly Conduct. Personally, I've arrested him four times. Am I picking on him? Is he the victim? Do I deserve to get shot and run over next time I put the bracelets on him? Am I a "bad cop" since I'm "picking" on him?

Some here are reading waaaaaaaaaay too much into this. You don't know the true story, and neither do I. But, you seem to be siding with the killer. That's pathetic to say the least.

Respect the position, regardless of what you think of the officer. Give an officer a hard time on a traffic stop, get out of the vehicle, argue with them, approach in what can be deemed as a threatening manner, don't pull over right away, get into a persuit, raise your hands, etc, and I can guarantee you'll be at last sprayed and probably go down very hard. I'm going home to my family at the end of my shift. I couldn't care less if you like me, respect me, etc. I'm fair, honest and I just want to do the right thing. To all the posters who are trashing this cop and, regardless of the thinly veiled posts, siding with the killer, tell me about this dead officer. What did he do that you disrespect? And don't tell me about what you read in the papers, since you are the first ones to say you can't trust what's in there. I want specifics. If you can't give them, then you have no right to be talking crap about him.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is this - there was a news report I saw about this from a local NH station that was very interesting. It sounded as though there were more people who had a problem with this officer in that town. Not defending or castigating, but it surely seems as though all of the facts aren't being reported - nor will they be, I'm pretty sure. [thinking]

I don't care who he had problems with, even if it was every resident in that town. He didn't deserve to die because of it!

Last edited:
Ex-Marine who shot Kenney: 'I don't miss'

Ex-Marine who shot Kenney: 'I don't miss'

By SCOTT BROOKS AND LORNA COLQUHOUN
Union Leader News
15 hours, 34 minutes ago

EASTON – The passer-by who confronted and killed the gunman in last Friday's police shooting was an expert marksman who used to alarm his neighbors by firing guns on his own property, court records show.

"I am an ex-Marine and an expert shot. I don't miss what I shoot at," Gregory Floyd, 49, told police officers who searched his home in 1997.

Authorities have decided not to charge Floyd in Friday's shooting, ruling he was justified when he fired at Liko Kenney, 24, just moments after watching Kenney shoot and kill Franconia Police Cpl. Bruce McKay.

Kenney's uncle, Bill, said he is not angry at Floyd.

"I thank him," Bill Kenney said yesterday. "He did an amazing thing."

A "loner" by reputation, Floyd has declined to speak with reporters since the shootings. A woman who answered the phone at his house Sunday said, "This is a private, unlisted, unpublished number. Please don't call again."

Residents in the rural White Mountains town of Easton, home to about 280 people, said they tend to keep away from Floyd, just as he keeps away from them. His property on the southern edge of town is said to be guarded by Rottweilers.

"He's the type of person I'd be very leery of," said Bob Every, the town's former police chief.

Court records show Floyd has had several run-ins with the law over the years. His record includes a 1998 conviction for attempting to knee a police trooper in the groin and a 1997 indictment, later dismissed, for being a felon in possession of weapons.

Authorities searched Floyd's cabin exactly 10 years ago this week after neighbors told then-chief Every they thought Floyd was discharging "fully automatic weapons" on his property, according to documents on file in Littleton District Court.

Floyd at one point apologized for shooting a gun, telling neighbors he was "shooting to scare off bears so his son could sleep," the documents say.

A search of his house turned up six guns, including a Glock 9mm pistol, an Ithaca 12-gauge shotgun and a Rugar Black Hawk handgun, but no automatics.

Floyd and his wife, Michelle, had moved to the area from Townsend, Mass., about six months before that. A record check in that state showed that while there had been arrests for assault with a dangerous weapon, the charges were dismissed.

One day after the May 1997 search, Floyd was charged with criminally threatening a contracted meter reader from the New Hampshire Electric Coop. Floyd allegedly instructed his son, "Go inside and get the pouch." His son, according to the report, said, "Mom is awake. I could not get the gun."

Investigating troopers claimed Floyd told them he could have given them a "third eye."

"I know you wear vests, so I could have put it right between the eyes," he said, according to the papers. "I was sitting on my Ruger."

The case was twice continued that summer. One time was because the troopers would be attending the funeral of two state troopers killed in Colebrook on Aug. 19, 1997.

Minutes before the trial was to have started in October, the case was dropped. There was a heavy police presence in the court that day.

Also in June 1997, Floyd was charged with, and later indicted for, being a felon in possession of weapons, after a records search in Georgia turned up a 1981 felony conviction for selling marijuana.

Those charges were dismissed after Floyd's attorney, Gerry Boyle, successfully argued that the Georgia conviction would not have constituted a felony in New Hampshire in 1981.

He was also charged with simple assault for attempting to knee a trooper in the groin and was given a suspended one- to three-year sentence in the New Hampshire State Prison, according to an order issued on May 28, 1998. He was placed on probation for three years, with the stipulation that he not possess any firearms.

In motions seeking the return of the firearms in August 1998, court papers noted that the guns belonged to Floyd's wife. She reportedly intended to sell some of them and have the others secured in a locked safe in Manchester.

A trusted friend told me some facts that he obtained from someone who was "on scene" of this incident after it went down. My friend told me that it was OK to share those facts here, so here goes:

- The Officer was shot twice in the upper body and twice in the head. The belief is that Kenney got out of his car and EXECUTED the downed Officer!

- The Officer arrested Kenney for a FELONY a few years earlier and then requested that the charge be dropped to a Misdemeanor so as not to ruin the kid's life!

-------------------

Take this for what it's worth, but I grew up in a small town, knew all the Officers, liked most of them and was good friends with a neighboring town's Police Chief. I never got into any trouble and had only one run-in with a local officer who was a ball-buster looking to build a reputation (he was relatively new and trying to prove himself). When he tried to give me a hard time, I just calmly asked him to get in the car and we'd go directly to the PD (1 block away) and discuss this further with the Chief. He deferred and let it go. A number of years later, a former classmate (who was a major troublemaker) took a shot at this same officer late one night (and missed). Said troublemaker was a member of the RumPot Rustlers which got so out of hand that the town requested MA State Police come in and "clean it up"!

In my current town, when I worked for the PD there were 3 officers who I had no respect for plus two that had a "reputation". One's nickname was "Radar Bob" . . . he was a damn good cop (I learned a lot from him and we're still good friends), he gave out few tickets but the 5-10 minute lecture made people beg for a ticket and skip the lecture! [smile] [He stopped my Wife for speeding 2 weeks after we moved into town . . . she still remembers every detail of the encounter, almost 33 years later!] The other officer used to really get downright nasty with teenagers (he was fine dealing with adults) and he did indeed cause a fair amount of trouble (and got suspended numerous times). I was always leery of working with him, but I did not disrespect him. Just saw him at the polls this afternoon and chatted with him for a bit.

LEOs are like everyone else . . . the good, the bad and the ugly. Proportionately there are many times more good than anything else. However, you should always respect the authority, never argue with them (even though I did so as noted above), and if you were really wronged, file your complaints later.

There is NEVER ANY EXCUSE for executing anyone (other than in a time of war or clandestine military ops)!!

A trusted friend told me some facts that he obtained from someone who was "on scene" of this incident after it went down. My friend told me that it was OK to share those facts here, so here goes:

- The Officer was shot twice in the upper body and twice in the head. The belief is that Kenney got out of his car and EXECUTED the downed Officer!

- The Officer arrested Kenney for a FELONY a few years earlier and then requested that the charge be dropped to a Misdemeanor so as not to ruin the kid's life!

What is that saying???

"No good deed goes unpunished!"

If that's not the saying then it should be...

so that article tele mark posted....am I missing something or are they bashing the guy that stopped to help?

You need to calm down. The only "bashing" that's been done is from you. No one here disagrees with the statement above.

I need to calm down? What "bashing" did I do? Oh, I forgot, this is a very PC site and if you don't agree with someone, you can't post here. Sorry, I'll remember next time.

Nobody is outright defending the scumbag who killed the officer that several people here say other people "had problems" with. But, they sure do go out of their way to attack his character, when I'm willing to bet NONE OF YOU EVER MET HIM! Oh, right, I forgot, you don't "respect" an officer until he proves he deserves it from you.

Those posts are pathetic. If you actually KNEW the officer and had an experience to which you can write about, great. If you don't, and only read what is in the papers that you, yourselves, say you can't believe what is written because it's inconsistant and only part of the truth, then I don't see how you can post anything at all attacking his character!

so that article tele mark posted....am I missing something or are they bashing the guy that stopped to help?

Well it sure sounds like they are making him out to be less than a Sterling citizen. Sounds like he's more than a bit anti-social and I'm a bit surprised that he'd stop.

All of that aside, he did a pretty good thing. He not only should not be charged, he should get a commendation from the Governor.

Gary

"Also, seems he tried to take out the suspects vehicle alone. The proper procedure calls for two vehicles when perfoming a take down on a vehicle."

The above is only true in a perfect world. In most small rural towns and depts Officer are lucky if there is even another car working the shift with them. Hell I work 20 miles north of Boston and have been out there alone for what seemed like forever.

Try being a National Park Service Protection (law enforcement) Ranger. Those guys always travel alone, and in the parks out west, they usually have to wait 45+ minutes for backup to show. NPS LE are the fed. cops who get shot and killed the most in the line of duty, not the FBI, DEA or SS.

In my current town, when I worked for the PD there were 3 officers who I had no respect for plus two that had a "reputation". One's nickname was "Radar Bob" . . . he was a damn good cop (I learned a lot from him and we're still good friends), he gave out few tickets but the 5-10 minute lecture made people beg for a ticket and skip the lecture! [smile] [He stopped my Wife for speeding 2 weeks after we moved into town . . . she still remembers every detail of the encounter, almost 33 years later!] The other officer used to really get downright nasty with teenagers (he was fine dealing with adults) and he did indeed cause a fair amount of trouble (and got suspended numerous times). I was always leery of working with him, but I did not disrespect him. Just saw him at the polls this afternoon and chatted with him for a bit.

I remember "Radar Rob" (as we knew him), and "Officer Testes", too! And I'm not even from that town! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom