• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pick one 9mm carbine: HiPoint 995 vs. KelTec SUB2000

Which 9mm would you buy, and why?

• Hi-Point MODEL 995 BLACK (9MM)

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • KelTec SUB2000TM Folding / Pistol Caliber / Carbine

Votes: 66 86.8%

• Total voters
I had the Keltec. Fun range toy. But that's about it. I don't think I'd actually deploy that in an actual home defense scenario unless that's all I had. Not saying it didn't work. It actually ran flawlessly while I had mine. Just that there are much better options out there where one doesn't have to work around gimmicks. I mean, if you had one of these for HD, would you actually store it folded? If the answer is "no", then why are you dealing with the hassle of finding solutions for optics for a folding gun? I ended up doubling the price just to get comfortable, and that was a mistake.

That said, Sub2k takes common mags and mine was 100% reliable, so there's that. If the hipoint took glock mags (and wasn't a hipoint), I'd probably prefer that platform just because it doesn't unnecessarily fold. But I suppose there's a regional argument to be had in MA where a folding gun that breaks action is a necessary compromise for our stupid "no collapsing stock" issues.

I like the Kel-Tec very much. If I could, I'd get one scanned into a CNC and make a replacement receiver out of aluminum.

In my opinion, the only reason for a PCC is if you have a pistol that you can interchange your mags with. That leaves out the Hi-Point, since it’s proprietary magazine isn’t even interchangeable with their own C9 pistol mag. So I’d have to go with the KelTec (in the Multi-Mag configuration, since I don’t own any Glocks).
Even if you dont have a pistol with interchangeable mags, PCC are just fun and can be used for more than plinking, from home defense to USPSA and Steel Challenge (this means more practice).

A carbine in 556, you can plink at the range, maybe it can be used for hunting in some States and home defense, but that is about it. Plinking at a steel plate every time gets boring AF.

We all know people with AR that are safe queens because they are either expensive to feed or get boring.

Even plinking with a PCC is more fun.

The best way to go with a PCC is to build one or buy one you can replace almost every part.

They both are trashy, but to answer the question I'd go with KT, just due to common magazines and the folding feature (I guess), although 10mm may be enough to draw me into a HP.

My real answer would be to at least bump up to a Ruger carbine. My real-real answer would be to find one of those PTR MP5 clones and SBR it if I was married to the idea of a PCC. If I just wanted something short that folds in some way to be even shorter, Id go with a Krinkov. Or a 733? Nothing beats a good Sunday morning LARP walking around on the furniture in a ski mask and boxers shorts with the 733.

deniro heat.gif

For a Highpoint there's a bullpup chassis out there.
For super short clam shell chassis for a Glock or whatever pistol flavor you prefer.
Those are the El Cheapo options I see without going NFA.
I'm sure there are more but those are what came to mind.

For a Highpoint there's a bullpup chassis out there.
For super short clam shell chassis for a Glock or whatever pistol flavor you prefer.
Those are the El Cheapo options I see without going NFA.
I'm sure there are more but those are what came to mind.
I meant the link I gave was just another option for the original guy.

I would not say either is ‘trashy’, cause I have had both and neither one of them has ever had a failure to feed or a failure to eject - both 100% reliable! Rather I would just say … ‘they are what they are’.

100% reliable even when trying the often-touted trick of different weight bullets of different brands all in the same magazine at the same time.

I ended up staying with the Sub-2000, as the Sig mag release is the same height as that of the CZ 75B series, and I have pre-ban magazines for it.

Gonna go with the Hi Point all day. I bought one in late 2007 or 2008 for $160. I put 1000 rounds through it without so much as a hiccup, including rounds I dropped on the ground. 4" groups at 100 yards weren't bad, and with a better shooter could probably be better.
Hi points may be ugly, big, heavy, and the last gun you show off, but they are simple and go bang every time.. I can have the Keltech, or the Hi Point, a bunch of spare magazines, 1000 round of ammo, and still have leftover money for pizza and wings.

Back
Top Bottom