• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PIN numbers for MA firearms licsences?

what is the deal with this? i have a new style licsence, got it almost 2 years ago. should i have a PIN number? or is this a new thing?

You should have received two pieces of paper with your license the first being a small guideline from your issuing authority...that doesn't really say much and the other being the paper with your PIN number on it. If you cannot find that piece of paper call your issuing authority to request another copy.

ALL the new style licenses (DL sized) come with PIN numbers. You must use the PIN when purchasing IF your fingerprint doesn't take, otherwise they can't sell to you.

I believe you only need the PIN if the shop you are purchasing the firearm from does not have a figerprint scanner. Four Seasons in Wouburn and Northeast Trading in N. Attleboro both have the scanners.

If you have the old horse-blanket LTC, no fingerprint or PIN is used.

ONLY used on the "new" LTCs (most issued from 2005 onward) that are the size of a credit card.

Not every gun shop is outfitted with the new system yet. Until then they won't be scanning a fingerprint or using the PIN at that shop.

again, newbie here. When I go to pick up a firearm do I need to have my LTC card on me or can I just go in and use my pin? I’m sure this has been answered a million times.

again, newbie here. When I go to pick up a firearm do I need to have my LTC card on me or can I just go in and use my pin? I’m sure this has been answered a million times.
You need your LTC as well. I could be wrong but I was also the assumption whenever you were in the possession of a firearm you had to have your LTC with you.

You need your LTC as well. I could be wrong but I was also the assumption whenever you were in the possession of a firearm you had to have your LTC with you.
This is a correct assumption. You need to physically have the actual LTC card on your person at all times while you’re carrying. M.G.L. c. 140 § 129C & 129D states you’re obligated to present your LTC on demand to a LEO. If you don’t they can confiscate your gun(s) on your person and force you to bring the LTC to them before they return them, otherwise the guns will be surrendered to the cops.

This is a correct assumption. You need to physically have the actual LTC card on your person at all times while you’re carrying. M.G.L. c. 140 § 129C & 129D states you’re obligated to present your LTC on demand to a LEO. If you don’t they can confiscate your gun(s) on your person and force you to bring the LTC to them before they return them, otherwise the guns will be surrendered to the cops.
And they can inspect your firearm if so requested iirc.

And they can inspect your firearm if so requested iirc.
I don’t know about that, but usually they take them from you, try to figure out how to unload them while pointing it at you… if that’s the inspection I guess they can do that

Then, further down a line, they continue to point them at you and then when you ask him not to point them at you, they say “hey it’s not loaded”

Usely after taking them and toss them in your bed of your truck, without any care of whether they get scratched or not

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom