• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pistol Case for Airline Travel

AndyJM58

NES Member
Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a pistol case that they have used during airline travel? I've heard stories that "approved" cases were rejected by an airline? Looking for 2 or more gun capacity. Any experience with this or any travel suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Pelican is good, I was in Ocean State the other day and they have the Pelican knock offs for $32 bucks...I almost bought one. They have a few different sizes. I got my Plano rifle case on Amazon...it was like $75 bucks.

I use this one SnapSafe TrekLite XL Key Lock Box 1 Gun Pistol Vault

This is of course I believe made or owned by Hornady which is a company a lot are unhappy with at the moment, but I bought the case well before that happened and it's served me well. They actually also sell a model that uses a combo lock instead of a key and I believe both are TSA compliant. I've used the key case to check a pistol at Logan numerous times with this one.

I suggest buying a cheap, good quality case and drill a hole in it. Feed a cable through the hole and through the mag well of the gun. The other end of the cable around the suitcase metal frame.

So you satisfy the hardcase requirment. And you also have some real security with the cable lock to the suitcase framing. This lock does not have to be TSA approved, I believe

I use this one SnapSafe TrekLite XL Key Lock Box 1 Gun Pistol Vault

This is of course I believe made or owned by Hornady which is a company a lot are unhappy with at the moment, but I bought the case well before that happened and it's served me well. They actually also sell a model that uses a combo lock instead of a key and I believe both are TSA compliant. I've used the key case to check a pistol at Logan numerous times with this one.
The problem with that model is that the hinge pin is very exposed and can easily be punched out.

I suggest buying a cheap, good quality case and drill a hole in it. Feed a cable through the hole and through the mag well of the gun. The other end of the cable around the suitcase metal frame.

So you satisfy the hardcase requirment. And you also have some real security with the cable lock to the suitcase framing. This lock does not have to be TSA approved, I believe
None of them need to be TSA approved. In fact, a TSA person cannot and should not open your case without you being present.

Last edited:
Generally they will, but I've had a couple of cases where they didn't. I know you'll be shocked that the TSA doesn't consistently apply their regulations from airport to airport.

None if them need to be TSA approved. In fact, a TSA person cannot and should not open your case without you being present.

None if them need to be TSA approved. In fact, a TSA person cannot and should not open your case without you being present.
I meant as opposed to regular luggage lock. And sonce it’s not a TSA approved lock, it will be harder to get it stolen by baggage handlers or TSA people

Back
Top Bottom