• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pistol transport thru NY

Best advice in thread.

Be sure to include Mass in that list of draconian states as they have a well documented history of ignoring FOPA

Find me a case where MA blatantly ignored FOPA, I'd like to see it/them. If anything as some kind of a guideline. In the years I've been on here nobody has posted about such an incident. Every "stop with unlawful possession which led to arrest" MA based news story I've ever read has involved people who were way outside the guidelines set forth in the law.

-Mike

Did the letter you had confirming FOPA86 covered NFA items also confirm that you did not need an approved 5320.20 form to take then through NY, or did you have NY included on the 5320.20 you needed to take the NFA toys to PA?

The experience shows that it is better to get lost in a crowd of one than stand out like a turd in a punchbowl. I know of one person who was hassled in NY because the trooper saw the bright blue edge of his CT carry permit when he got out his driver's license.'

If the trooper had hauled you in, you would have no longer been on a continuous and uninterrupted trip, and the court might have found there was no way to legally let you take possession of the NY banned items even after the charges were dropped, as you would no longer be covered under FOPA86.

FOPA applies to magazines and NFA firearms just as it applies to traditional long guns and handguns, regardless of their capacity or caliber. If the firearm is legal for you to possess at your point of origin and your destination, then FOPA is an affirmative defense.

If you were detained by law enforcement you would have a defensible position that you had a journey that was not voluntarily interrupted. The return of your firearms would be subject to FOPA. This is different than making a connecting flight in NYC, having your flight cancelled and taking possession of your firearms at the baggage claim.

Last edited:
Take Rt 5 through CT 2 lanes, plenty of rest stops and cuts a huge chunk of time off. Its less mileage than doing the 90 - 87 thing and faster than 84 off the pike. Ct SP sit all over 84 and 395 looking for trucks, radar detectors, people on phones. Route 5 is I swear not patrolled. Even road work they just use flaggers, never seen a cruiser on that rd.

Take Rt 5 through CT 2 lanes, plenty of rest stops and cuts a huge chunk of time off. Its less mileage than doing the 90 - 87 thing and faster than 84 off the pike. Ct SP sit all over 84 and 395 looking for trucks, radar detectors, people on phones. Route 5 is I swear not patrolled. Even road work they just use flaggers, never seen a cruiser on that rd.

I agree

Back
Top Bottom