Pistol X-Fer

The other thread got me thinking...
If my father had guns he wants to give to me.. On of which is a pistol that he obtained while stationed in Alaska in the 70's that he never registered with MA and for MA gun law reasons simply kept at relatives house in ME. Can he legally transfer that gun to me in MA?

Adam

Assuming that you do NOT live in ME, even for part of the year, NO!

The only way he can legally transfer any handgun that isn't on the CHSB "List" or grandfathered (was "in state" as of 10/21/98) would be a bequest, when he passes on.

And if you follow a lot of the "advice" by PDs, dealers, etc. and use an FFL to transfer it to you upon the death of the owner . . . you could NEVER legally possess the gun! Both Fed & MGLs allow bequests to BYPASS FFLs (which is real important to the subjects in PRM), so you or the executor would have to transport it to the new owner (you). FA-10 form must be filed as a "Registration" not a transfer, no "seller" info required.

Another option that I've had LE advise is that he could "loan it to you" and you could bring it back (he'd still own it) when you visited him. He could put it in his will that he wants you to have it and when he passes on it becomes yours officially and an FA-10 is needed, again as Registration.

Just remember IANAL and this is not legal advice.

Back
Top Bottom