place to try diff pistols?

ive been to mfs and with a cop friend it was me and my friend in the room and we were sharing his issued pistol. hed shoot a mag lock the slide back and have no mag in the gun id grab it move over to my lane reload id shoot my magazine then lock the slide back with the mag out step back 2 ft to the right 3 ft then rest the gun on his counter space... then an employee comes in like that gun better be in a case moving lane to lane blah blah, i was like wtf the slide is locked back Im holding the gun with my hand around the slide and over the trigger guard and no magazine in the gun. I understand the safety aspect of it but it was my friend and I in the lanes and I think we were being extremely respectable and safe then to have an employee come in like put it in the case moving one lane to the next lane side by side its like really dude. kind of turned me off to the mfs.

- - - Updated - - -

that said it is an extremely nice range what are membership costs? any nes discounts?

ive been to mfs and with a cop friend it was me and my friend in the room and we were sharing his issued pistol. hed shoot a mag lock the slide back and have no mag in the gun id grab it move over to my lane reload id shoot my magazine then lock the slide back with the mag out step back 2 ft to the right 3 ft then rest the gun on his counter space... then an employee comes in like that gun better be in a case moving lane to lane blah blah

Sorry for what you went through here. We do not have a policy that firearms have to be cased (that would be a silly policy). We do request that the actions are open or the firearms are cased or holstered when not on the line. I have spoken to the guys at the range about this to make sure there is not confusion here.

I will PM you a membership deal...

Admittedly I've only been to MFS once (thus far, with intent to return soon), but my one experience was nothing but positive and i never once feared for safety or me or anyone else. Steve has also been very kind to me via this forum, and all employees I interacted with were friendly and knowledgable.

I dont doubt that you could have had a bad experience, but even the best of restaurants cooks a bad steak sometimes. (Or perhaps better, has a bad customer.)

And on topic, MFS seems to have a huge selection of firearms to try out before buying.

Ill be going back its just that one time i was like really dude slides locked back magazine is out bjm i am not a bad customer so go clean your nose bro

I would dispute what you wrote here. You admit in your post that you actually have no personal experience with the safety of our range. The "personal experience" you mentioned of meeting former members is not the most solid evidence. You really should reconsider your thoughts on this. If you shot at our range I am confident you would change your mind.

MFS's reputation of being a safe place to shoot is not by accident. Here are some of the steps we have taken to help create a safe environment:

1. Our range is not open to the public like many ranges. At MFS you need to have a Mass license in order to shoot unsupervised. A LTC does not make a person a safe shooter, nor does taking a safety class, but what our policy does do is prevent irresponsible walk ins looking to recreate their favorite movie scenes (and other assorted bad actors).

2. Our staff are very diligent to confront and correct unsafe shooting. While we cannot 100% eliminate stupid behavior we can confront it and create an environment where our members know safety violations will be handled in a professional way.

3. People make mistakes. You visit any gun range and look around and you will see evidence of irresponsible behavior (holes where they should not be). At MFS shooters are under constant supervision. This supervision helps keep people under check in their behavior.

4. MFS utilizes ballistic dividers in the stalls that give shooters another level of safety. Thankfully, our shooting stall dividers have never been shot. However, it is good to know they are there if needed.

Many years ago I was visiting a commercial range where a couple of people did come in wearing kevlar vests. That sight made me really uncomfortable (my biggest worry was that they knew something I did not...LOL). Years later when I opened MFS I was determined to create an environment different from that. Today, when I visit the range and see parents bringing their young children to shoot I am greatly encouraged. The trust they place in us is encouraging. In my opinion, it is a trust that is well deserved.

steve

Your initial assertion is wrong and apparently due to poor reading comprehension. I used to be a member at MFS for about nine months. I have several friends who were members there and I know safety instructors at local ranges who must teach safety to new members coming from MFS.

I will address each of your (false) assertions:

1. Your range IS open to the public: All you need is a MA LTC (that doesn't make it private, sorry).

2. I have never seen nor heard of any of your staff ever correcting safety violations before the single case I read in this thread. I have, however, witnessed your staff walking past shooters sighting in .22 rifles behind the line aimed at actual living breathing people.

3. People who break firearm rules and "make mistakes" kill people. I have no desire to be around people who "make mistakes" with firearms safety. As stated in this very thread, you do NOT supervise shooters: You have unmonitored cameras trained on shooters.

4. Ballistic dividers do not help when the shooter has a shotgun at the back wall and is waving it around showing his buddies how cool his new Rem 870 is.

Obviously my "plate carrier" comment was facetious but my concerns about your safety are founded in actual experience. I do not enjoy having firearms pointed at me. I didn't like it when I had a plate carrier and helmet, why would I like it now?

I am a fan of MFS. I've taken 6 classes there and plan on more. I have also taken advantage of their free day membership to try out a few firearms.

I have been there as a non member to shoot and have brought two of my young sons there as well.

I have never been treated anything but politely and professionally by the staff whether in class, in the ranges or in the retail store.

Everyone I tell about the place expresses the same of them and the facility.

Excellent facility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a fan of MFS. I've taken 6 classes there and plan on more. I have also taken advantage of their free day membership to try out a few firearms.

I have been there as a non member to shoot and have brought two of my young sons there as well.

I have never been treated anything but politely and professionally by the staff whether in class, in the ranges or in the retail store.

Everyone I tell about the place expresses the same of them and the facility.

Excellent facility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We agree on one thing Eddie (took awhile): The facility is great.
The PM's I have received from my posts and comments in person say that I'm not alone though.

Are any of the classes you have taken NRA certified?

Bobs in Salisbury, Ma. and Manchester Firing Line in NH

I've used the range at Bobs but never rented a gun there so I don't know what they charge. Manchester Firing Line charges $30 per gun. I tried out 2 guns with a friend for an hour and rang up $180 bill.

I've used the range at Bobs but never rented a gun there so I don't know what they charge. Manchester Firing Line charges $30 per gun. I tried out 2 guns with a friend for an hour and rang up $180 bill.

Wow! That seems high. One of the places mentioned in this thread, American Firearms, is $9 per gun, $20 hr for a lane/person, $23-$26 box of 50. I was planning on renting 3 pistols and a couple boxes of ammo which would come in under $100. Most places I've contacted seem to be in this price range.

keep an eye on Groupon.. American Firearms School has run groupons for range time, rentals, ammo and target for 1 or 2 people. I think it was $80 for lane time for 2 people (reg $40), 2 rentals (up to $30), 2 boxes ammo ($30-50) and 2 targets, and even supervision for noobs. Would run close to $150 reg price.

I bet you could get the groupon, then add on a couple extras for reg price.

Ill be going back its just that one time i was like really dude slides locked back magazine is out bjm i am not a bad customer so go clean your nose bro

I meant the guy on the other end potentially not being safe/sweeping/whatever, not you.

Go green and come to an NES shoot. There will be more guns than you'll have time to try. I'm at every monadnock shoot. Stop by my popup and you're welcome to try anything I have out.

Back
Top Bottom