Planning out an 18 or 20 inch AR build

Not to beat the comp issue to death, but does anybody have any experience with these:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5594/Product/Levang_Linear_Compensator

I have a similar design comp from a now defunct company on a 16" AR. I like it - not as much recoil reduction as the agressive comps, but very little increase in noise. It's definitely a compromise part, in that sense. If I needed a brake to satisfy the AWB, and my main issue was noise, I think it's a good choice.

Boosh I have a WOA 16 inch barrel the crowned for me. They did a nice job. I have a Daniel Defense forend on it. It is nice but I like the LaRue better.

full3.jpg

Don't mean to pee in you cherios, but I have been reading quite a few threads on ARFCOM about BCM lately. There have been quite a few that have popped up about finish, fit and other issues. The image below was then posted and someone made note of the line "safe queen curators need not apply". It was then mentioned that there guns are mill spec and they work.
View attachment 15034

Don't mean to pee in you cherios, but I have been reading quite a few threads on ARFCOM about BCM lately. There have been quite a few that have popped up about finish, fit and other issues. The image below was then posted and someone made note of the line "safe queen curators need not apply". It was then mentioned that there guns are mill spec and they work.
View attachment 15034

They actually included an article from SWAT magazine in the shipping package about one of their 16-inchers running 31,000+ rounds and that very add is on the back.

I know they're mil spec and have read nothing but good things about the company and their products. Based on their reputation and reviews, I was expecting a better looking receiver that wasn't scratched and chipped on the inside, as it's not one of the discounted cosmetic blemish uppers, it's supposed to be a brand new, virgin receiver.

I could probably live with the appearance on the outside, but it seriously looked like someone took a sharp pick and stuck it in the ejection port and scraped it around 20 or 30 times, plus a chip about 1/8th inch in diameter was too much for me to overlook on a brand new part.

I have not lost faith in them, and I eagerly await the replacement unit so I can get on with the build.

So I got this email today:

BCM email said:
Hi meth0d,
We have received and inspected the return.
Much of the marks are indicative of a machined forging and hardcoat anodized surface. The quantity and location will vary from receiver to receiver and batch to batch. An exchange would not offer you’re the results you are looking for. We will get you a refund to the credit card. It may take up to 4-5 business days to post to your account, depending on your issuing banks policies.
Best bet may be to hand inspect and hand pick a reciever at a local gun show. Another option would be to look at a billet machined upper receiver, as those offer superior cosmetics.
Thanks,

I guess they think I'm a safe queen curator and need not apply! [sad] Back to the interwebz to find another source for an upper receiver.

I have a DD upper that my WOA is built on, I like it looks nice and clean. I got mine at brownells, but they are sold out.

Bravo Company makes solid units with good pricing for complete upper assemblies - if you're looking for just an upper receiver many here have BCM units from a group buy

From my OP:

**UPDATE!** I got a stripped M4 flat top upper from BCM for Christmas. I was looking it over today and found inside the receiver a sizeable area scratched up, and a small chip in the metal.

Also, about 90% of the black finish on the exterior looks like it was wiped down with a rag before the finish fully dried or cured. Based on BCMs reputation for top quality parts, I am disappointed, to say the least. I have been in contact with them by email and they have provided me with instructions for the RMA process, but I am also a little disappointed that I have to cover shipping costs to return this defective/faulty product.

I've got it boxed up and will get it out before the end of the week, new info will be posted as it comes in.

This is especially frustrating as just last night I ordered a forward assist and ejection port cover from BCM for this upper.

Yankee Hill Machine has a few in stock, I think I will pick one of those up. Thanks guys!

I have a YHM upper on one of my builds, a vendor had a killer sale for complete YHM upper (forward assist and dust cover assembly) with free shipping for like $70. I'll see if I can find them and see if they still have that special as it wasn't that long ago.

Here is the LINK, unfortunately they're not on sale or in stock right now, sorry.

Last edited:
I posted the link to the one I bought above, but they are out of stock, but the link you posted is a pretty good price seeing what they are getting for stripped where I bought mine. I'm very happy with the finish on my YHM upper. You might want to contact Ty at AWS and see if he has any uppers from the GB that didn't sell. The finish on the AWS lower is the nicest out of my 6 AR's (1-Stag,3-Essential Arms, 1-AWS & 1-Remsport)I wouldn't hesitate buying from Ty again, actually I ordered one of the Zombie lowers too.

Last edited:
I posted the link to the one I bought above, but they are out of stock, but the link you posted is a pretty good price seeing what they are getting for stripped where I bought mine. I'm very happy with the finish on my YHM upper. You might want to contact Ty at AWS and see if he has any uppers from the GB that didn't sell. The finish on the AWS lower is the nicest out of my 6 AR's (1-Stag,3-Essential Arms, 1-AWS & 1-Remsport)I wouldn't hesitate buying from Ty again, actually I ordered one of the Zombie lowers too.

Thanks for the info, I'll shoot a PM over to Ty. [cheers]

Chrome ones are pretty.

I have plain old carriers in all of my guns. In my game rifle, I had one lightened, so I just went with a plain old carrier for that one too.

I am not sold on the extra cost yet, but maybe I just don't shoot enough to justify it.

None of them are worth the extra cost over a good bcg

The standard LMT bolt is good, the enchanced is good for short supressed carbines Not 18-20 rifle length gas systems

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom