Plastic ammo 7.62x51 NATO

84ta406

NES Member
My buddy has a bunch of 7.62x51 NATO plastic training ammo. I was wondering if anyone has used it or even knows its value. I was thinking it would be good ammo for my bolt gun at the indoor range to play around with instead of wasting the good stuff. Something cheap too. Anyone ever use it?

I saw a guy get a round of blue 308 stuck in a bolt gun and wouldn't eject. Locked up the bolt hard and didn't have the tools to get it unstuck. Not sure if ammo, gun, or user error.

You mean this stuff?

as30815.jpg

I've got some, haven't shot it yet. I think the Germans developed it for training with HK G3's, using special bolts. It's a very lightweight projectile, but is still very much to be treated as "real" ammunition and could injure or kill if on the receiving end.

I have similar thoughts about using it for cheap practice with my .308 bolt gun, just haven't gotten around to trying it.

Yep thats the stuff! AM-32. I jumped on some of it, grabbed 250rds to try out. At 7 bux a box of 50 I cant complain. They say its rated for 300m..

Its a 10 or 15 grain bullet going 3000 fps.
Seen few YouTube videos with minigun use.

My buddy has a bunch of 7.62x51 NATO plastic training ammo. I was wondering if anyone has used it or even knows its value. I was thinking it would be good ammo for my bolt gun at the indoor range to play around with instead of wasting the good stuff. Something cheap too. Anyone ever use it?

Take a look at it, it's got a full powder charge inside it, too. I have fired a few, but I don't recall if they cycled in an auto-loader (which isn't relevant to you). They should be fine for accuracy, but again, I don't recall where they print relative to a 168g SMK. If you reload, you should try the 18gr riot bullets, too.

Take it for what it's worth but it is supposed to match the 7.62 NATO out to 300 yards or so. I can only imagine how much the wind tosses that thing at 100 yards plus.
So it should be with in a few inches of your NATO zero ? I'm extremely doubtful.
I only know one person who has used it. The first shot the plastic "case" separated from the primer/head and he lodged the next round into the stuck case. That was the only time I actually seen it.

Last edited:
Ill try some out, most likely next weekend and report back. I wonder how the recoil and noise level is. One person showed they had a 12gr powder charge. If it works well I have a line on 1000 more.

Cheap training ammo made for training with the G3 back in the 80s. From what I gather they used a special light weight bolt.

My use is indoor range for cheap.

Cheap training ammo made for training with the G3 back in the 80s. From what I gather they used a special light weight bolt.

My use is indoor range for cheap.

So its good for plinking steel at the range?? I assume its not very accurate, as i'd expect.?

i would try some out in the Scar.

Exactly what i'm thinking..lol

Quick research revealed it may not cycle all semi-autos. The SCAR has a huge bolt so it may not have the ooomph to cycle, but i may try some.

Last edited:
Doesnt cycle well in most semi autos from what I read. Its supposed to be accurate to 300m it says. But Id think 100m would be good for a plastic bullet lol

Doesnt cycle well in most semi autos from what I read. Its supposed to be accurate to 300m it says. But Id think 100m would be good for a plastic bullet lol

What is accurate? I,would imagine it's not meant to train for marksmenship vs combat style and close quarters training.
With such a,light load and charge I would be shocked if most semi auto bolt moves more than a smidge.

Why would someone want it? 25 cents per round safe for indoors.( if the range allows rifles at all)
Also if your restricted to say 50 yards or less it would be better to shoot than quality ammo just for fun. Remember military doesn't care what this stuff does to the bore.

I have a bunch of this stuff. Great cheap training ammo out of bolt guns. All the bang & flash of a regular .308 with absoutely no recoil. Accurate to 75 yards or so. After that the grouping opens up considerably.

[video=youtube_share;DnEdwZv9WsU]http://youtu.be/DnEdwZv9WsU[/video]

[video=youtube_share;VlmHwusrDU0]http://youtu.be/VlmHwusrDU0[/video]

I think the best use for these would be as malfunction drill initiators in AR10s/FALs/etc. Have some on hand and have a buddy load your mags mixing a few in.

Only fired the .308 stuff a couple of rounds, but fired several of the .50bmg stuff. Out of a .50bmg bolt gun, one of those plastic training rounds split a water filled 55gal poly barrel full length on the exit side....they pack a punch.

I think the best use for these would be as malfunction drill initiators in AR10s/FALs/etc. Have some on hand and have a buddy load your mags mixing a few in.

I dont own one but thats a good idea.

I have 250rds sitting here waiting for testing. They cycle fine in my MVP, feed fine from the magazine but the bolt needs a extra little click to grab the rim on the extractor.

Back
Top Bottom