Please recommend a good AR-15 sling

WanMan99

NES Life Member
NES Member
I am looking for a sling for my AR-15. I think I would be comfortable with a single point sling while shooting but would also like a normal sling for walking distances with it slung over my shoulder.
Can anyone recommend what type would cover these uses (maybe a 2 point? not sure)
Thanks

Run a single point, loop it around the barrel and throw it over your shoulder muzzle down for walking longer distances.

Mike

I have 2 sling mount points on my rifle (Stag 3, stock and handguard points). Is it necessary to buy a swivel type mount to go with the single point or can I just attach it to the stock mount?
Thanks.

I would recommend a quality, quick adjust 2 point sling. Personally, I run VCAS sling.
Google m4carbine.net for more pros/cons on different sling configurations and mounting options.

I got this one, mostly because the video was pretty cool..

It gives you a lot of options, but it's not as easy to use as it looks in the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got this one, mostly because the video was pretty cool..
It gives you a lot of options, but it's not as easy to use as it looks in the video.
Excellent criteria for choosing firearms accessories. Did you also take into account the option of covering the controls for a right handed shooter?

I just personally don't see the appeal of the 2 and 3 points. We ran 3 points the first 3 years I was in the Marine Corps, I broke a couple of them and they just get in the way of mags and everything else. 2 points are good for parades and making into loop slings. A one point attached as close to the castle nut as possible, I found preferable. It makes it a lot easier to handle and employ the rifle, and if you are going to be moving long distances, as I mentioned, you can throw the sling around the barrel of the rifle and walk with it muzzle down over your shoulder.

I'm no high speed operator, but I covered a lot of miles with various sling setups, a 2 point in boot camp, a 3 point in SOI, various training, and Bridgeport MWTC (the sierras), a 1 point through Pendleton and 29 palms and Afghanistan, and I'd stick with the 1 point any day unless you are going to be doing something like gate duty. Since I imagine you will just be shooting on the range and never actually "using" your rifle, unless you are going to be hunting, just get a one point. All these crazy slings you have to learn, are ridiculous in my opinion. Even the "fast-tach" on the 3 points was ridiculous, it adds an unnecessary step to a piece of gear that really only should be there for retention.

Get something with a buckle for the "tail" and for the loop. I had a bungie one, I think I paid 30 bucks for it on amazon from blackhawk.

With regard to the one point banging on your legs and crap, when would that ever happen if you have any sort of control of your rifle? Never. If it does, its because you're in some rediculous situation where you have had to transition or are carrying somebody, probably not likely to ever happen to you in the United States. If you want to make the argument "well I am training for SHTF, EOTWAWKI, Doomsday Preppers, NES-land, well then train how you will presumably fight and ignore a couple bumps in the legs.

With regard to the attatchment, we had guys do everything from clip them to the back of their M4 stock (less than ideal, but on patrols you are holding the rifle anyway) to strapping them around the buffer tube (WILL inevitably interfere with the charging handle), to buying those clamp on swivel mounts. I'd recommend some sort of plate before the receiver extension. Personally, I have used Magpul ASAPs on my build, they work fine, though any little mount works great.

Mike

Last edited:
I just personally don't see the appeal of the 2 and 3 points. We ran 3 points the first 3 years I was in the Marine Corps, I broke a couple of them and they just get in the way of mags and everything else. 2 points are good for parades and making into loop slings. A one point attached as close to the castle nut as possible, I found preferable. It makes it a lot easier to handle and employ the rifle, and if you are going to be moving long distances, as I mentioned, you can throw the sling around the barrel of the rifle and walk with it muzzle down over your shoulder.

I'm no high speed operator, but I covered a lot of miles with various sling setups, a 2 point in boot camp, a 3 point in SOI, various training, and Bridgeport MWTC (the sierras), a 1 point through Pendleton and 29 palms and Afghanistan, and I'd stick with the 1 point any day unless you are going to be doing something like gate duty. Since I imagine you will just be shooting on the range and never actually "using" your rifle, unless you are going to be hunting, just get a one point. All these crazy slings you have to learn, are ridiculous in my opinion. Even the "fast-tach" on the 3 points was ridiculous, it adds an unnecessary step to a piece of gear that really only should be there for retention.

Get something with a buckle for the "tail" and for the loop. I had a bungie one, I think I paid 30 bucks for it on amazon from blackhawk.

With regard to the one point banging on your legs and crap, when would that ever happen if you have any sort of control of your rifle? Never. If it does, its because you're in some rediculous situation where you have had to transition or are carrying somebody, probably not likely to ever happen to you in the United States. If you want to make the argument "well I am training for SHTF, EOTWAWKI, Doomsday Preppers, NES-land, well then train how you will presumably fight and ignore a couple bumps in the legs.

With regard to the attatchment, we had guys do everything from clip them to the back of their M4 stock (less than ideal, but on patrols you are holding the rifle anyway) to strapping them around the buffer tube (WILL inevitably interfere with the charging handle), to buying those clamp on swivel mounts. I'd recommend some sort of plate before the receiver extension. Personally, I have used Magpul ASAPs on my build, they work fine, though any little mount works great.

Mike

Great info, thanks. I think the main reason I wanted a 2 point sling is that I wanted to start shooting 100 - 150 yards in the standing, sitting positions instead of just from a bench. My memory is from M14 training (wonderful Marine Corp Gunnery sgt on Oahu) and I miss that wrap around the arm support of the sling. I wasn't sure that the single point would give the same support as a 2 point sling (new fangled gadgets).

One point vs. two point slings is another one of those never-ending debates.

The three point sling seems to have fallen out of favor (probably a good thing).

The VCAS that I like is quick to deploy, like a one point, but also has the security of a two point. Best of both worlds.

I have a couple VCAS that have two quick detach buckles so you can remove the sling from the front swivel and attach it to where it connects to the rear of the rifle, so you can change it from a two point to a one point by simply changing where you connect the buckle. I did not see it on their website, though. It may have been discontinued.

Everyone is an individual - what works best for you may not be so good for another. Try a two point, and then try a one point. See which you like best.

From a known distance marksmanship point of view you are going to want to use what is known as a loop sling, which is an adaptation of a cheap military 2-point. Im not even sure that modern "hsld" 2 points can achieve this. You can google the proper set-up and firing positions with these.

Mike

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Couple of experiences as an average joe shooter:

I tried a 3 point sling a few years back, it was awkward and I just ended up in a tangled mess with my rifle.

I also tried the Viking Tactics sling, but I have an A2 stock, so I was forced to use one of their buttstock adapters. The adapter is mounted in such a manner that I found it bothersome when obtaining a solid cheek weld on the stock. Overall I found this sling less cumbersome than the 3 point, but I was still getting tangled up in it, and couldn't get it adjusted to where it was comfortable, and the quick release system would work properly.

http://www.vikingtactics.com/slings_original.html

I've found for my purposes, (plinking at the range and USPSA style matches), a sling isn't necessary and just complicates things for my high drag low speed self. [laugh] When I shot a CMP clinic at Nashua the old GI style sling worked great, so if I was pressed to utilize one, I'd go that route. I would like to try out a single point when I get a 14.5" carbine built, but that's probably not for a little while anyway.

Good point, you really don't NEED a sling for range use, unless you are going to be practicing transitions, or using a loop sling.

Mike

Last edited:
I bought a Blackhawk single point sling for my AR, with the M4 collapsing stock with the only sling attachment point on the bottom of the stock. Even after adjusting it, it is too long for me. I'm 5'7 and it is probably designed for someone who is taller than me. I'm still looking for a better stock.....

Moose, you want to attach it to a plate behind the castle nut. If you don't want to remove the tube you can buy clamp on sling adapters, but the price point is the same as a plate and the necessary wrench.

Mike

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom