Please spell out buying handguns in MA and online sales

All,

Finally going through the process of applying for an LTC after moving here a few years back from Texas. I sold my Glock before I moved up here, so if I'm approved, I'll need to get another gun.

I'm having a really rough time understanding the different rosters of authorized weapons and what they mean though.

On this website: http://www.mass.gov/eopss/firearms-reg-and-laws/frb/approved-rosters/

You have two rosters: The approved firearms roster and the large capacity firearms roster.

That's where I start getting confused...

From what I've read on these forums and my own research, I think I can purchase guns on either roster, so long as the magazines I buy are either pre-ban...or 10 round capacity or under if not pre-ban...is that correct?

The gun I'd like to get is a CZ-75B, maybe a CZ-75 SP-01. It is on the large capacity firearms roster but not on the approved firearms roster, so what's the deal?

If I can get a CZ75, what's the best means to get it? I know I can't go to a store outside of Mass and buy one, so I think I'm limited to MA gun stores or individuals selling within Mass, correct? What about online sales through either gunbroker or trying to buy through online websites and have it sent to an FFL? Are either of those valid options?

I'm applying for an unrestricted LTC if that matters.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this!

Don't concern yourself with lists, the EOPS List and AG Regs only apply to what dealers can do (making it difficult to get a GB purchase shipped in and transferred), not what you can own/carry. If you get a LTC, you can also ignore the large capacity roster as well.

If you see something in a MA gun shop or someone selling something (MUST be a MA Resident with LTC) and you are willing to pay the price, just buy it and don't worry about lists.

Fed Law says no handguns interstate, all such transactions must go thru an FFL in the new owner's state.

Thanks for the quick reply...looks like gunbroker is out for the most part then. Off to research some gun stores in MA.

Additionally, does anyone know if Sig or Glock still do their blue label/military discounts? I'm active duty military so if I can get a deal, then all the better...just not sure if Massachusetts participates in those at all...

There are a few Blue label dealers in MA. And depending where you livein MA the Sig academy mightve worth the drive for adiscount on Sig.One issue with the mil/leo deals in MA is it is often hard to order them with 10 rounders. You might be better off buying handgun in your home of recordsince your active,just make sure of the mags cause unless its preban its a nogo

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply...looks like gunbroker is out for the most part then. Off to research some gun stores in MA.

this and the classifieds here are your best bets. Facebook groups can be ok but not great anymore

Welcome

There are a few Blue label dealers in MA. And depending where you livein MA the Sig academy mightve worth the drive for adiscount on Sig.One issue with the mil/leo deals in MA is it is often hard to order them with 10 rounders. You might be better off buying handgun in your home of recordsince your active,just make sure of the mags cause unless its preban its a nogo
My home of record is Arizona, so I don't think that would work...like I couldn't buy something online from a dealer in Arizona and have it shipped to an fFL here in Massachusetts, correct?

Additionally, does anyone know if Sig or Glock still do their blue label/military discounts? I'm active duty military so if I can get a deal, then all the better...just not sure if Massachusetts participates in those at all...

Blue label programs for MIL only works in Free America, not Commiechusetts. Seriously, the AG has declared that ONLY LE for DUTY USE ONLY can buy those guns and they need a letter from their police chief stating that the gun will be used for on-duty purposes. Essentially this kills off almost all LE officer sales in MA by dealers, as chiefs do not like to hand out letters. MIL never worked here in MA after the 1998 law passed.

My home of record is Arizona, so I don't think that would work...like I couldn't buy something online from a dealer in Arizona and have it shipped to an fFL here in Massachusetts, correct?

No, if you are in AZ and staying there on leave you can legally buy there and then bring it back yourself to MA (sans large-cap new mags). You can't have it shipped to MA.

No, if you are in AZ and staying there on leave you can legally buy there and then bring it back yourself to MA (sans large-cap new mags). You can't have it shipped to MA.

Damn,I just came back from a trip from AZ, hence the whole reason for looking into an LTC, turns out Imissed shooting more than I thought I did.

Spurning one last question for now...my dad left me a .22 rifle which I have my friend holding for me in North Carolina. I left it down there when I moved up here originally because I didn't want to deal with the licensing process, but now that I'm in the process of hopefully getting an LTC here, I'd like to get the rifle back into my possession. It's not worth anything but sentimental value, probably $100 at most. However, what would the process look like? I know there's some forms involved, but could it be as simple as just having him bring it to an FFL in NC and having them ship to an FFL up here? I would run everything by my FFL before I decide to go through with it to make sure they are willing, of course. Any idea how much it would cost, ballpark?

Is someone going to tell him that dealers can't sell brand new Glocks? If you want one you'll have to pay the super high prices in the local classifieds.

Spurning one last question for now...my dad left me a .22 rifle which I have my friend holding for me in North Carolina. I left it down there when I moved up here originally because I didn't want to deal with the licensing process, but now that I'm in the process of hopefully getting an LTC here, I'd like to get the rifle back into my possession. It's not worth anything but sentimental value, probably $100 at most. However, what would the process look like? I know there's some forms involved, but could it be as simple as just having him bring it to an FFL in NC and having them ship to an FFL up here? I would run everything by my FFL before I decide to go through with it to make sure they are willing, of course. Any idea how much it would cost, ballpark?

If you own it, you can drive/fly down there and bring it back. You MUST eFA-10 it as "Registration" and do NOT fill out where you got the gun!

Alternatively your buddy can ship it to a MA FFL and the MA FFL transfers it to you. It can be shipped ground by UPS, USPO or FedEx but MUST go to an FFL. Cost of shipping is weight and distance and FFL charge in MA is likely $20-40. If he has a NC FFL ship it to a MA FFL, double the FFL charges . . . but always check with receiving FFL as many won't accept guns except from another FFL.

Damn-thanks for all the info. Makes the most sense to just get it shipped up here because no need to fly or drive down there.

Sucks about Glocks though-looks like used might be my best bet or maybe Sig with a military discount...do new handguns at gunshops tend to be more expensive than in other states since MA is ridiculous with their laws?

Damn-thanks for all the info. Makes the most sense to just get it shipped up here because no need to fly or drive down there.

Sucks about Glocks though-looks like used might be my best bet or maybe Sig with a military discount...do new handguns at gunshops tend to be more expensive than in other states since MA is ridiculous with their laws?

A bit more expensive, yes. Depends on where you shop.

For the rifle, you're probably aware but you'll need your LTC before you can have it in MA. MA requires a license for everything (handguns, rifles, shotguns, ammo, etc.).

Sure you could, but the FFL Would not transfer it to you unless you have a current LTC and it is not no on the explicit or de-facto list.

Question about selling a gun bought in MA.

I've been going down to FL a lot (have a place there and have a non-resident FL CC license).
Can I take my MA-bought handgun, bring it to a gun store in FL and trade it in? I assume there shouldn't be any problem.

Question about selling a gun bought in MA.

I've been going down to FL a lot (have a place there and have a non-resident FL CC license).
Can I take my MA-bought handgun, bring it to a gun store in FL and trade it in? I assume there shouldn't be any problem.

No issues as long as you follow FOPA/airline policy during transport by whichever method you travel.

Back
Top Bottom