Police dress as firefighters to arrest NH man

Mar 5, 10:07 AM EST

NEWPORT, N.H. (AP) -- Police in Newport, N.H., say they dressed as firefighters to trick a man and arrest him after he pointed a shotgun at an officer.

Police set off a fire alarm to evacuate an apartment building Tuesday night and arrested 34-year-old Matthew Miller when he opened his door.

Earlier, an officer knocked at Miller's door after neighbors complained he was playing loud music. Miller pointed a shotgun at the officer, who talked him into setting it down. But the officer backed off when he saw other weapons and a toddler in the apartment.

Officers returned dressed as firefighters to set off the fire alarm to draw Miller out of his apartment and avoid a standoff. Police say Miller is a convicted felon with a history of violence.

---

A convicted Felon in possession of firearms. Oh my god we should make a law to stop that!

I spoke with a Chicago cop who pulled the same sort of ruse to arrest an armed felon. He was dressed as a firefighter and they put a ladder up to the building. The cop climbed the ladder, came in through the window, and pulled his .38 snubbie out from under his coat, much to the surprise of the perp.

Wow, if only there were rules against felons in possession of firearms...

This story perfectly illustartes why there is never any need or justification for no-knock warrants. A little bit of creative thinking and "Old fashioned police work" goes a long way. Too bad there aren't more cops like these guys on the job.

PoliceOfficers_normal.jpg

and of course the fire fighters union is unhappy...

http://www.wmur.com/news/18861497/detail.html

And they should be. The next time a fire crew is shot at, or harmed, you can thank crap like this. I too can appreciate the creative thinking, but there are consequences to creative thinking. I wish they would have been a little more creative and thought of something with less obvious or more random consequences. If they wanted to dress up as civilians in plain clothes, then fine or they could have played lotto agents who never come to you so there are less consequences then fine. The consequences of this are way too obvious.

and of course the fire fighters union is unhappy...

http://www.wmur.com/news/18861497/detail.html

And they have a right to be PO'd

There are already places in America where firemen are shot at responding to calls, so let's make the bad guys think firemen are actually cops and they are fair game.

Firemen already have to carry enough gear kevlar vests shouldn't have to be part of the uniform because the cops wanted to play dress up.

And if the felons would follow the rules then there would be no need for the police to dress as firefighters now would there? Seriously, less whining please. Unions are only good for bitching about this n that anyways, I say get rid of em, let the police and fire survive without them. Millions of hard working Americans don't labor under the "protection" of unions, why should the police and fire be any different?

By the way, that's not meant to be an insult to the PD or the FD.

Last edited:
Dumb idea in so many ways.

Does the idiot know how many lives he has just placed in jeopardy?

It has nothing to do with unions(what a stupid f***ing comment someone made), it has to do with breaking a bond of trust that is widely and publicly recognized. Firefighters are recognized as neutral parties in most situations and are viewed as being there to provide assistance without percecution.
This moron's falsification of his identity breaches that well established public trust and jeopardizes the lives and safety of firefighters everywhere.

If you think its ok, you need to reevaluate your thinking.

And they should be. The next time a fire crew is shot at, or harmed, you can thank crap like this. I too can appreciate the creative thinking, but there are consequences to creative thinking. I wish they would have been a little more creative and thought of something with less obvious or more random consequences. If they wanted to dress up as civilians in plain clothes, then fine or they could have played lotto agents who never come to you so there are less consequences then fine. The consequences of this are way too obvious.

Gee, cops sometimes dress up as regular people in regular people clothing. Are we going to blame the cops the next time a criminal shoots at someone who looks like a regular person in regular person clothing because the criminal thinks the person may really be a cop?

Sheesh.

There is a philosophical issue here that most people wouldnt understand. When society sees a police officer they immediately thing agresssors, wrongdoing, someone to be feared, etc. When society sees a firefighter, they THINK trusted, non threatening, out for their safety ( most of the time). Pulling a trojan horse operation like this leads to society mistrusting in the providers they call on to be genuine.

This is just wrong. Of course firefighters unions everywhere should be outraged, a level of mistrust was just put in the public about the sincerity of every fire engine riding worker in this country. Dont matter weather your union or not, full time or volly, the situation here just added a little more target to our backs.... BUT..... a life spared is a life spared, and thats what firefighters and ems do. Funny thing is, thats what the police do to. I wonder when they will start buying us firefighters Bullet proof vests and guns.... HEY!! this could work out for the BETTER !! Im goin runnin to my union right now :eek:)

Gee, cops sometimes dress up as regular people in regular people clothing. Are we going to blame the cops the next time a criminal shoots at someone who looks like a regular person in regular person clothing because the criminal thinks the person may really be a cop?

Sheesh.

+1. People shooting at fire crews are going to do it whether or not they're aware of this kind of deception.

There is a philosophical issue here that most people wouldnt understand. When society sees a police officer they immediately thing agresssors, wrongdoing, someone to be feared, etc. When society sees a firefighter, they THINK trusted, non threatening, out for their safety ( most of the time). Pulling a trojan horse operation like this leads to society mistrusting in the providers they call on to be genuine.

This is just wrong. Of course firefighters unions everywhere should be outraged, a level of mistrust was just put in the public about the sincerity of every fire engine riding worker in this country. Dont matter weather your union or not, full time or volly, the situation here just added a little more target to our backs.... BUT..... a life spared is a life spared, and thats what firefighters and ems do. Funny thing is, thats what the police do to. I wonder when they will start buying us firefighters Bullet proof vests and guns.... HEY!! this could work out for the BETTER !! Im goin runnin to my union right now :eek:)

+1 We got away from wearing button down blue uniform shirts with badges because of being mistaken for Police Officers. It was the patients who told us this ,not only verbally,but through thier actions as well. Once they realized who we were you could watch the tension level drop right out.

Sheesh.

Sorry Frosty, there's a difference between regular citizens and firefighters. Firefighters (and paramedics) often have to go into fairly hostile places to do their jobs. It helps to be able to say, "I'm not the cops, I'm with the Fire Department (or EMS) and I'm here to help you." If the person can't believe that, then we're now "the enemy" and fair game.

That's the reason that as closely as we work with the PD, we never agree to let them use an ambulance to sneak up on someone. And yes, we've had requests for just that over the years.

"Firefighters are recognized as neutral parties in most situations and are viewed as being there to provide assistance without percecution."

Well there have been cases where Firemen have gone into houses and then dropped dimes on guns not locked up in MA.

I work with the Chaplain of our towns FD, who when I mentioned this to him over lunch today wasn't in favor of it. He said when he was affiliated with Manchester NH FD he was on scene once when the lead started flying at one of the engines on a call.

Firemen have historically been the Swiss of the public service employees, lets keep it that way

"Firefighters are recognized as neutral parties in most situations and are viewed as being there to provide assistance without percecution."

Well there have been cases where Firemen have gone into houses and then dropped dimes on guns not locked up in MA.
I work with the Chaplain of our towns FD, who when I mentioned this to him over lunch today wasn't in favor of it. He said when he was affiliated with Manchester NH FD he was on scene once when the lead started flying at one of the engines on a call.

Firemen have historically been the Swiss of the public service employees, lets keep it that way

The number of incidents involving a firefighter reporting an unlocked gun are so few and far between, it doesn't even register on the public recognition scale. Matter of fact, in my entire twentytwo year career, I've only heard of it once and that was just recently.

You are right, the FD (and EMS) are recognized as the "Swiss" of public safety employees, and that is why the actions of that PD are being met with such opposition.
Whomever authorized such activity should be called on the carpet for their stupidity.

Thank goodness sopme old lady didn't have a heartattack upon hearing the alarm or someone trip and break something while evacuating the building until the Police had everything under control. Now there is a law suit I'd like to be on the jury for!!!

This story perfectly illustartes why there is never any need or justification for no-knock warrants. A little bit of creative thinking and "Old fashioned police work" goes a long way. Too bad there aren't more cops like these guys on the job.
+1

Of course, doing this is no way to show a need for federal pork barrel dollars for that shiny new armored truck with gun ports and a battering ram and all the ninja suits.

[rolleyes]

There is a philosophical issue here that most people wouldnt understand. When society sees a police officer they immediately thing agresssors, wrongdoing, someone to be feared, etc. When society sees a firefighter, they THINK trusted, non threatening, out for their safety ( most of the time).

That's an awfully broad brush with which to paint society's perception of police.

I apologize to all the LEOs here with my broad spectrum brush stroke. I have worked in the public safety arena since I was 19 years old. I know more police offcers, firefighters, and EMS workers than there are people on this forum. I have been all over the country attending conference for public safety, and I in NO WAY was trying to slight the work done by the guys in PS who get bullet proof vests and carry guns because they need them. My only point is that from a joe the plumbers attitude, or a Mrs Buttersworth point of view, the sight of a man or woman with a gun on their belt, a stick on their belt, handcuffs to restrain, and a shiny badge that gives them legal right to do so tends to put them in a different mindset....

The point I was trying to draw is there is a major difference in the publics perception of a police officer approaching them in the line of duty and a firefighter or EMS worker approaching them in the line of duty. Using that trust to apprehend a suspect was a tactically brilliant thing to do, however, in the grand scheme of things, probably did more harm than good for the local fire services. I certainly dont think it will change the way My crew is treated the next time they go to a call, and i pray to god it never happens in my community, because I would flat out refuse to allow it as long as i was the officer on duty.

Frosty, thank you for making that point. I hope i made the point a little more respectfully of the other half of public safety.

I apologize to all the LEOs here with my broad spectrum brush stroke. I have worked in the public safety arena since I was 19 years old. I know more police offcers, firefighters, and EMS workers than there are people on this forum. I have been all over the country attending conference for public safety, and I in NO WAY was trying to slight the work done by the guys in PS who get bullet proof vests and carry guns because they need them. My only point is that from a joe the plumbers attitude, or a Mrs Buttersworth point of view, the sight of a man or woman with a gun on their belt, a stick on their belt, handcuffs to restrain, and a shiny badge that gives them legal right to do so tends to put them in a different mindset....

The point I was trying to draw is there is a major difference in the publics perception of a police officer approaching them in the line of duty and a firefighter or EMS worker approaching them in the line of duty. Using that trust to apprehend a suspect was a tactically brilliant thing to do, however, in the grand scheme of things, probably did more harm than good for the local fire services. I certainly dont think it will change the way My crew is treated the next time they go to a call, and i pray to god it never happens in my community, because I would flat out refuse to allow it as long as i was the officer on duty.

Frosty, thank you for making that point. I hope i made the point a little more respectfully of the other half of public safety.

Stop being such an apologist......

Back
Top Bottom