• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Police officer shot during training.

Sounds like a classic draw/holster ND.

Anyone who has shot with cops knows that in general they are terrible gun handlers/shooters. Yes there are exceptions, but I've seen at least 10 soup sandwiches for every competent gun handler/marksman be it pistol or rifle.

As a former police firearms instructor, I can tell you from first hand experience that's there's quite a few dull knives in the drawer...

(right, Cams?)
Dude I enjoyed the hell out of training recruits, but it is and can be very dangerous with some of the meatheads coming through.

You remember the young Marine Reservist (never deployed, non-combat MOS, was talking shit to me and other instructors at the range, challenging us and just being a huge distraction to other students, he’d already been a problem for the DI’s leading up to this.

It was during the night fire when we allow them to have a cookout for dinner chow in between phases. I almost tossed him that night, but the next morning he was removed from the class and sent packing. Danny left a framed picture of him and a black rose on his desk for the other students to see and remember. That kid was a dangerous, arrogant little prick, he would’ve been a problem going forward for sure.

As an aside, can you f***ing imagine putting a round into your own femur with a downward trajectory. JFC that is a nightmare just to think about.
Sometimes you don't even notice. In the event I witnessed the badged functionary was really annoyed about 5 days later when he found out. He thought the keys in his pocket cut his leg when he fell down. If the bullet misses the femur and femoral artery, it can slide down between the muscle and end up in the ankle.

I know a gun who shot himself in the leg with a Para 45. In and out on the right leg, landing the left foot or ankle. A pass or two with a cleaning brush of some sort at the hospital, a couple of bandages, and he was OK. So, the then sells this gun to a friend of his. That individual shoots himself (with that gun) through the femoral and when the hospital staff is discussing the possibility of a repair and surgeon remarks "that's just a bullet hole, I treated a lot of those in Lebanon" and repaired the artery.

I wonder if he's going to be treated the same way the woman that had a ND at the Walmart the other day was being treated
Shooting yourself at a range is not a PP creating criminal offense. Shooting, even an AD, within 500ft of a roadway when not on a recognized range or with permission of the occupants of all properties within 500ft is and thanks to the SJC is a per-se offense not requiring intent.

Last edited:
Sounds like a classic draw/holster ND.

Anyone who has shot with cops knows that in general they are terrible gun handlers/shooters. Yes there are exceptions, but I've seen at least 10 soup sandwiches for every competent gun handler/marksman be it pistol or rifle.

As a former police firearms instructor, I can tell you from first hand experience that's there's quite a few dull knives in the drawer...

(right, Cams?)
As another retired police officer I agree 150%. Being on the range with most police officers is the most dangerous place to be!!

Friend of mine at a range a couple of months ago said something that made a lot of sense.

"Put your feet together before you reholster". That way, your foot/leg aren't sticking out below your holster. If you ND into the holster, it goes into the ground.

He said this to me when we were talking about a guy shooting himself in the foot at one of our local ranges.

Friend of mine at a range a couple of months ago said something that made a lot of sense.

"Put your feet together before you reholster". That way, your foot/leg aren't sticking out below your holster. If you ND into the holster, it goes into the ground.

He said this to me when we were talking about a guy shooting himself in the foot at one of our local ranges.
lol I’m not buying into that. If you told 50% of the people here, or probably anywhere, to put their feet together before reholstering, they’d start listing and loosing balance in about 0.5 seconds. You really want someone stumbling around to regain balance with a pistol still in their hand? Sounds like your friend was pulling your leg, almost literally.

Idiot friend.

Early on in my career I spent a few perilous range days with fellow Sheriffs Department idiots, muzzling people, not controlling the weapon properly.

I remember a fellow academy mate was in the shotgun line and our DI went in between him and another recruit to show him how to properly hold the Shotty and when he said “And now your ready to fire” the guy next to him who was oblivious to his surroundings fired the shotgun right next to the back of the DI’s head. The DI shit himself and hit the ground, it was scary. Thankfully he didn’t get hurt.

They are squared away now though and take it very seriously.

Back
Top Bottom