• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Police officer shot during training.

He was going thru the Bridge Academy, thanks to the "reforms" passed recently.

He may have been the Animal Control Officer for all we know
Maybe that’s a good thing? They sent him for more training and he immediately confirmed that he needed it. Better to happen on the range than out in public.

Dude I enjoyed the hell out of training recruits, but it is and can be very dangerous with some of the meatheads coming through.

You remember the young Marine Reservist (never deployed, non-combat MOS, was talking shit to me and other instructors at the range, challenging us and just being a huge distraction to other students, he’d already been a problem for the DI’s leading up to this.

It was during the night fire when we allow them to have a cookout for dinner chow in between phases. I almost tossed him that night, but the next morning he was removed from the class and sent packing. Danny left a framed picture of him and a black rose on his desk for the other students to see and remember. That kid was a dangerous, arrogant little prick, he would’ve been a problem going forward for sure.
Every class gets a few. One of the few new hires that almost failed the firearm's portion was guy who did several years with the 82nd. Airborne . But as he rightfully stated, they had very little handgun experience during those times. We did so one on one away from the academy and he passed fine.

Still on the job today. But I saw some from another not to be named department that had two fail and come back to retake the firearm's portion at a later class. I would have thought that they would take it serious but it was a big joke and the last day, away from the rest of the recruits that somehow qualified. They didn't last long as both were bounced .

But I've also seen non LE ding themselves up here. Not many as the numbers coming through the Academy is extensive. But some who sign up vastly over rate their capabilities,

Every class gets a few. One of the few new hires that almost failed the firearm's portion was guy who did several years with the 82nd. Airborne . But as he rightfully stated, they had very little handgun experience during those times. We did so one on one away from the academy and he passed fine.

Still on the job today. But I saw some from another not to be named department that had two fail and come back to retake the firearm's portion at a later class. I would have thought that they would take it serious but it was a big joke and the last day, away from the rest of the recruits that somehow qualified. They didn't last long as both were bounced .

But I've also seen non LE ding themselves up here. Not many as the numbers coming through the Academy is extensive. But some who sign up vastly over rate their capabilities,
Agreed. Most of us are more than willing to work with those who may be struggling, not so much for those who just showed up with a shitty arrogant attitude, that, can only get worse if they’re let through.

Dude I enjoyed the hell out of training recruits, but it is and can be very dangerous with some of the meatheads coming through.

You remember the young Marine Reservist (never deployed, non-combat MOS, was talking shit to me and other instructors at the range, challenging us and just being a huge distraction to other students, he’d already been a problem for the DI’s leading up to this.

It was during the night fire when we allow them to have a cookout for dinner chow in between phases. I almost tossed him that night, but the next morning he was removed from the class and sent packing. Danny left a framed picture of him and a black rose on his desk for the other students to see and remember. That kid was a dangerous, arrogant little prick, he would’ve been a problem going forward for sure.
Not all the scary ones are FNG's either.
Some of the stupidest shit I've seen comes from guys who should know better.

Not to go too far off topic, but if I a reading this right we have several academy level instructors commenting, so the question I would like to ask them is how do the "problem child" students get past the screening process and as far into the program as they get when they get to you... and you can tell they are not suited for the job due to attitude and other factors but somehow there they are there

I saw it once in-person. During in-service training a female K9 officer drew her .38 and shot a round through the thigh of an instructor. Missed all the good stuff. Just left a slightly bloody chunk of fat and hairy skin on the range deck. Looked exactly like the uncooked fat from a piece of steak.
The thing that struck me was the almost nonexistent blood. Just a chunk of fatty meat.
The most frantic part of the whole thing was trying to pull her K9 away so he wouldn't eat the chunk. The dog ended up eating it and that was pretty much it.
I remember the guy didn't want to make a big deal of it and the chick stayed on K9 for a few years.
The dude ended up with the nick name "back bacon" which stayed with him until he retired.
The dog's unofficial name was "yum yum".

Not to go too far off topic, but if I a reading this right we have several academy level instructors commenting, so the question I would like to ask them is how do the "problem child" students get past the screening process and as far into the program as they get when they get to you... and you can tell they are not suited for the job due to attitude and other factors but somehow there they are there
It’s a good question and one that a lot of us would also like to know. It starts at the oral interviews, background checks and psych evals so they’re already deep into the academy before they even get to us at the range, and that’s mostly classroom stuff so attitudes and abilities differ greatly there. One may be a great student book wise but a complete knucklehead or incompetent on the range. We never put up with any bs once we got going and had no arguments between staff if we wanted someone removed immediately as long as it was a legit safety/attitude concern.

That applied to veteran officers as well. I’ve seen guys getting weapons taken away on the range (once physically) for f***ing around and told to go home. They can pick up their pistol from their Sgt or Lt the next morning and explain to them why they failed quals and now need to reschedule, which also f***s up the batting order and brings down some heat from above for more OT coverage needed for remedial training.

Lot of politics, people and moving pieces in play always, which means differing attitudes and differing results from leadership.

Think about your bus rodeos or any required in-house training type of thing for drivers, one of your guys shows up having a bad day or is just an a**h*** in general and he gets booted for the day not completing his required training, you get the gist. His life is going to suck the next day and it usually revolves around losing money and pisses off bosses.

it is near impossible for someone already hired and in training to be dropped from the program, at least it was when I was there and friends that were Instructors told me that.

We had people in training that could not spell the word bus.

Complete illiterates and they were pushed thru

We had people who had never driven anything bigger than a Honda Civic, and even then not very well... that were run thru the program and out on the streets in 6 weeks

Then the reality between training and real life kicked in for them.

One of the funnier ones was a girl that forgot the bus was 40 feet long... parked at Malden Station on the Exchange Street side... she want to pull around to get to her berth and as soon as she got the front of the bus just past the Inspectors booth that used to be at the end of the center platform she cut the wheel hard and bus #116 took the Inspectors Booth down at about mid way down the left side of the bus... the problem was Inspector Matty O was in the booth when it happened.... he was able to get out the door before it all came down

I saved one of the bricks and it is in the office at the Fells as a memorial to the booth

Last I heard she was a ASM or District Supervisor .... Management

Last edited:
None of this surprises me. There are quite a few warm bodies that small towns are gonna push through the Bridge

it is near impossible for someone already hired and in training to be dropped from the program, at least it was when I was there and friends that were Instructors told me that.

We had people in training that could not spell the word bus.

Complete illiterates and they were pushed thru

We had people who had never driven anything better than a Honda Civic, and even then not very well... that were run thru the program and out on the streets in 6 weeks

Then the reality between training and real life kicked in for them.

One of the funnier ones was a girl that forgot the bus was 40 feet long... parked at Malden Station on the Exchange Street side... she want to pull around to get to her berth and as soon as she got the front of the bus just past the Inspectors booth that used to be at the end of the center platform she cut the wheel hard and bus #116 took the Inspectors Booth down at about mid way down the left side of the bus... the problem was Inspector Matty O was in the booth when it happened.... he was able to get out the door before it all came down

I saved one of the bricks and it is in the office at the Fells as a memorial to the booth

Last I heard she was a ASM or District Supervisor .... Management
The insanity in all of it is that this isn’t even surprising anymore. Whether it’s police, bus drivers, military, whatever the case is, there’s a complete lack of competency and leadership anymore anywhere. IMO a direct result of affirmative action and pushing color and gender over training and competency.

He'll pass MSP/firearms training no doubt!
He accidently shoots Sen. Warrens kitten...accidently....20yr mandatories will be considered if not imposed.lol.
Theres lowered standards happening across the board w/students everywhere in country you know........
Good luck!

Last edited:
Maybe that’s a good thing? They sent him for more training and he immediately confirmed that he needed it. Better to happen on the range than out in public.

Damn you for imparting logic in this thread… can’t we just goof on the negligence without you rationalizing his stupidity?!?!

‘Cumon man…

WORK COMP WORK COMP! Paid leave, lifetime medical expenses paid for, probably a lifetime of oxycodone that he'll distribute to his buddies, no revocation of LTC, hazardous work bonus. ALL at the expense of us taxpayers.

The old man had a way of pounding the arrogant out of some of them.
Edited to add: and I believe that you’re talking about your Dads days in the above quote? Can’t say how much it’s changed since then, and only assume drastically. lol

And honestly the truly arrogant ones that I’ve seen come through are at most one or two per class and sometimes none at all. Most of them are just truly decent, nice young people that want to help, as naive as that sounds now to old me.

I enjoyed being part of their training and left work on those days feeling like I actually contributed something positive for once. You grow bonds with a lot of them and watch their careers progress or fail along the way and some you end up wanting nothing to do with.

The DI’s and the full time instructors at the academy though do a great job of whipping them into some semblance of military courtesy and discipline with a complete gaggle and only 8hrs a day to do it on top of PT and law classes all day, they can turn them around enough in a week or two to at least not feel like you’re herding cats through the entire course.

Last edited:
I'm reminded of an incident at in-service range qualification. A string of fire had been completed and the line was supposed to be clear. We, the range officers, went downrange to score the targets. While scoring, we suddenly heard a round go off and hit one of targets about two feet from one of the range officers (Rico - Cams knows who he is). We turned to see what happened and one of our fellow brain surgeon officers was fiddling with her gun. She let out an "oops". Rico was none too happy and let her have it up one side and down the other. I think she was close to tears. Good thing we had our vests on! I think Rico had to change his underwear later.

BTW, it was kind of an unofficial order from the higher ups - do whatever it takes, but nobody fails (now that I'm retired I can admit that).

Edited to add: and I believe that you’re talking about your Dads days in the above quote? Can’t say how much it’s changed since then, and only assume drastically. lol

And honestly the truly arrogant ones that I’ve seen come through are at most one or two per class and sometimes none at all. Most of them are just truly decent, nice young people that want to help, as naive as that sounds now to old me.

I enjoyed being part of their training and left work on those days feeling like I actually contributed something positive for once. You grow bonds with a lot of them and watch their careers progress or fail along the way and some you end up wanting nothing to do with.

The DI’s and the full time instructors at the academy though do a great job of whipping them into some semblance of military courtesy and discipline with a complete gaggle and only 8hrs a day to do it on top of PT and law classes all day, they can turn them around enough in a week or two to at least not feel like you’re herding cats through the entire course.
Dad was in his military career a Master Sargent and a man who did not suffer fools.
Later in life as a civilian trainer , presenting any type of unwarranted arrogance around him would end up with you feeling like a 3" tall shrimp dick by the time he got through with you.

I'm reminded of an incident at in-service range qualification. A string of fire had been completed and the line was supposed to be clear. We, the range officers, went downrange to score the targets. While scoring, we suddenly heard a round go off and hit one of targets about two feet from one of the range officers (Rico - Cams knows who he is). We turned to see what happened and one of our fellow brain surgeon officers was fiddling with her gun. She let out an "oops". Rico was none too happy and let her have it up one side and down the other. I think she was close to tears. Good thing we had our vests on! I think Rico had to change his underwear later.

BTW, it was kind of an unofficial order from the higher ups - do whatever it takes, but nobody fails (now that I'm retired I can admit that).
Holy shit I don’t think I remember this but I may have been a rookie back then myself. Love me some Rico though, I miss that guy for real.

His brother was on a couple episodes of Cops way back in 80’s land. That shit was classic. lol

WORK COMP WORK COMP! Paid leave, lifetime medical expenses paid for, probably a lifetime of oxycodone that he'll distribute to his buddies, no revocation of LTC, hazardous work bonus. ALL at the expense of us taxpayers.
In most cases, part-timers won't get any of that. My first chief (personal friend) once explained to me that if we got injured/killed on the job, since we only were paid when we worked a shift/detail, we weren't eligible for any insurance coverage by the town. We were "on our own". Full-time officers had their union and would be covered but IIRC MGL only requires the cities/towns to be liable for $30K in medical bills!! A good friend, a 27 yr veteran full-time officer was rear-ended severely in the cruiser (broad daylight) and was left with >$100K in medical bills to pay out of pocket and forcibly retired (medical).

All of us part-timers qualified separate from the full-timers but full-timer firearms instructors ran the qual. One one of them our captain was showing his revolver to another officer while the instructors were downrange scoring targets. Said captain was a jerk who couldn't be corrected on anything . . . he desperately wanted to be in charge of the full-time officers!

I wonder if he's going to be treated the same way the woman that had a ND at the Walmart the other day was being treated
To be honest, it's a 'little' different when it happens on the range. Armor on the range became mandatory about 10 years ago for my former agency. Guns are 'supposed' to go bang on the range, not so much in Walmart.

Back
Top Bottom