Police Station carry

No question, just an amusing tidbit.

I was carrying today, and had to go file a report in my local police station. Just to be absolutely sure, I called ahead and discretely asked if legal concealed carry was a problem at the station.

He seemed a little surprised at the question, and said, "well, sure, of course it's no problem, as long as you don't pull it out and go waving it all over the place!"

I love this town.

I know at Northboro there is a sign when you walk in and another at the front desk that states that you must claim/ check your sidearm when you come in. At least there was one about a year ago.

I've never seen this at any other station; Amesbury, West Newbury, Merrimac or Gloucester. However, I don't enter Police Stations that often and as far as I know there is no law against carrying in one.

Ha, ha ha ha!!!! You wouldn't make it past the metal detector at the Boston PD's headquarters in Roxbury! [rofl]

I've carried probably every time I've gone into my local PD without ever giving it a second thought. I wonder if I've been breaking some sort of rule. I never thought to look for a sign.

I'd never try to carry in there. You'd be lucky you weren't shot just taking the gun out in the first place.

Ugh. I hope I never have to set foot in that place again. Screw them and their crippled gun licenses, nasty attitudes and their treatment of gun owners as if we are criminals. The leftist stench inside that place is overwhelming. Well that and the stench of the cocaine, heroin, meth and other drugs that the Boston PD took from dealers and are now selling themselves as long they can get away with it. [rofl]

Boston PD has metal detectors at the front door and specifically forbids any weapons. They measured the length of my pocketknife's blade to make sure it was alright, last time I was there.

i wish i were rich...
putting something on a sign and hanging over a door does not make it law.

..i would definetly walk into the BPD with a concealed handgun if i could afford to stave off the financial/legal shitstorm that would likely ensue..

Boston PD has metal detectors at the front door and specifically forbids any weapons. They measured the length of my pocketknife's blade to make sure it was alright, last time I was there.

you can't just check the firearm with an officer or someone at the door?

you can't just check the firearm with an officer or someone at the door?

I've been there with someone who was carrying. He asked if he could check it and was promptly told "We don't have anywhere to keep it. Go lock it in your car." When he went to ask another question, a 2nd officer asked him, rather loudly and rudely, "What didn't you understand!?"

That answer your question hun? [smile]

Theres a length limit for knife blades in MA? I thought that only applied
to automatic knives or something. Could be some boston-specific thing
I'm missing, too... (I remember hearing about them having some sort of
more restrictive knife law.... )

-Mike

Boston Municipal Code of Ordinances

16-45 PROHIBITING THE CARRYING OF KNIVES OR SIMILAR WEAPONS.

16-45.1 Carrying of Weapons Prohibited.
No person, except as provided by law, shall carry on his person, or carry under his control in a vehicle, any knife having any type of blade in excess of two and one-half (2½ ) inches, ice picks, dirks or similar weapons that are likely to penetrate through police officer's ballistic vests, or other object or tool so redesigned, fashioned, prepared or treated that the same may be used to inflict bodily harm or injury to another, except:

a. When actually engaged in hunting or fishing or any employment, trade or lawful recreational or culinary activity which customarily involves the carrying or use of any type of knife, or

b. In going directly to and/or returning directly from such activities, or

c. If the knife is being transported directly to or from a place of purchase, sharpening, or repair, and if packaged in such a manner as not to allow easy access to the knife while it is being transported.

(Ord. 2001 c. 10) Penalty, see subsection 16-45.4

16-45.2 Distribution Exception.
This section shall not apply to persons who, through entities or establishments engaged in a recognized retail or wholesale business, are involved in the sale, purchase or repair of knives for trade, sport, hobby or recreation, including without limitation persons engaged in the transportation to or from such entities or establishments.

(Ord. 2001 c. 10)

16-45.3 Applicability.
Nothing in this section shall be construed to enhance or diminish any duties of persons described in subsection 16-45.2, and this section shall not be introduced or cited in any proceeding as evidence of negligence, recklessness, or similar state of mind of such persons.

(Ord. 2001 c. 10)

16-45.4 Penalty.
Violators of any provision of this section shall be subject to a fine of not more than three hundred ($300.00) dollars for each offense.

(Ord. 2001 c. 10)

16-45.5 Severability.
The provisions of this section shall be severable and if any section, part, or portion hereof shall be held invalid for any purpose by any court of competent jurisdiction, the decision of such court shall not affect or impair any remaining section, part or portion thereof.
(Ord. 2001 c. 10)

Thanks for posting that Jon.... so in esssence, it's a $300 fine if
caught? Course it doesnt say anything about it being a misdemeanor or
a felony, but at a minimum it looks like a pain in the ass.

-Mike

Maybe Kieth or Darius would know but I'm thinking that maybe it's not a criminal but civil violation where the penalty doesn't allow for any incarceration?
And especially where it's a violation of Boston Municipal Code of Ordinances and not MGL.

It's not moot if there's a law against it, as there is with school grounds. It's a stupid risk to take.

OK, but since there is absolutely no such law in Massachusetts, what "risk" would one be taking, particularly since it's concealled? And I don't worry about metal detectors; I've always got so damn much metal one me that an extra gun or two wouldn't make any difference. [wink]

Ken

It's a Scottish (usually) short sword - or, long knife.

It's typically a bone handled straight double edge knife between 5-7 inches. When tucked in a sock while wearing a kilt it's called a Sgian Dubh or "black knife" for its hidden quality.

I have mine from the wedding. See the kilt thread.

-= Chuck

OK, but since there is absolutely no such law in Massachusetts, what "risk" would one be taking, particularly since it's concealled? And I don't worry about metal detectors; I've always got so damn much metal one me that an extra gun or two wouldn't make any difference. [wink]

Ken

The risk was that there *was* a law, and I just wanted to be absolutely sure. Since I wasn't sure, carrying anyway would have been a stupid risk, with a high price. That's all.

It's typically a bone handled straight double edge knife between 5-7 inches. When tucked in a sock while wearing a kilt it's called a Sgian Dubh or "black knife" for its hidden quality.

I have mine from the wedding. See the kilt thread.

-= Chuck
There was mention of these in a recent issue of Dillon's Blue Press. Due to the current Scottish weapons laws, men dressed in traditional garb now tuck an ornamental unit that looks like a knife but has no actual blade into their sock.

Lynn has a similar law on "pocket" knives.
Back in the 70's and 80's the local bikers were slicing each other up for shark bait with Buck folding knives so hence the regs

Back
Top Bottom