• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Poor Sig Sauer finish on P226

P226 slide wear 1.jpg P226 slide wear.jpg
Brand new P226 Legion.
Cleaned and lubed before first range trip and this is what I brought home after.
I would expect this kind of wear after a couple thousand rounds, not 2 boxes of Winchester.
I will be contacting Sig Sauer customer service about this and we shall see if they send out their "acceptable wear" responce letter.

I wouldn't think that kind of wear would have an effect on the functionality of the gun. My glock had wear spots on it too after the first range trip but it kept on working. Actually I think all my firearms had some wear marks after the first range trip. 🙄
Kind of poor quality then or just not a durable finish. I’ve shot a few hundred rounds out of my CZ P10-F and it shows the tiniest marks of wear internally, everything external looks perfect.

I do find it interesting that on one hand, we all admire and desire safe queens (me included), but the actual reality of using a gun (especially if you carry every day), adds scratches, wear, and tear and damage to a gun. To anything for that matter. Cars, houses, motorcycles, etc.

I really think that stuff is supposed to be used and enjoyed rather than stored away so that your kids can sell it after you're dead.

I understand the frustration too. Do you know how many Sig guns I bought brand new that I put 500-1000 rounds through and still won’t function and I have to send back probably at least five or six.

At least your gun functions. Lots of people get them out of the box and put 50-200rds throught it then send it back because it doesn’t work. You got a break them in.

Look at all the dirt and unburnt powder in my gun, that’s my Carry piece.

My preferred gun lube is the closest dipstick in any vehicle.

I have a P226 Legion manufactured in 21. Finish is not durable compared to many of my other firearms. Lots of holster ware on the slide. Great firearm however I do wish Sig put on a more durable finish.

I always wanted a legion. I’m not sure if they’re on the mass list or not. I could get one anyway.

I am surprised that the op had so much wear but it’s not like it’s an expensive gun.

The cheaper sigs seem to hold up fine.
And the more expensive ones in the $26-$3500 range the X5 and x6 have a great finish, excellent trigger and are real tack drivers.

I’m curious what they say when you send it back.
I’ve never had much of a problem with their customer service, but I spent a fortune down there.

Haven’t dealt with them in probably 10 years.

Anyway, keep us posted and best of luck either way if it works who cares. I gotta go to work. I gotta go do a double.

Good night

I wouldn't think that kind of wear would have an effect on the functionality of the gun. My glock had wear spots on it too after the first range trip but it kept on working. Actually I think all my firearms had some wear marks after the first range trip. 🙄
No the legion finish is notoriously shitty. I would be aggrivated too

I have a few czs with about a thousand through each and theres barely a mark on the barrel

And if i just dropped 11-1200 id be pissed

Op lemme guess you bought it used? The early finishes were garbage

I always wanted a legion. I’m not sure if they’re on the mass list or not. I could get one anyway.

I am surprised that the op had so much wear but it’s not like it’s an expensive gun.

The cheaper sigs seem to hold up fine.
And the more expensive ones in the $26-$3500 range the X5 and x6 have a great finish, excellent trigger and are real tack drivers.

I’m curious what they say when you send it back.
I’ve never had much of a problem with their customer service, but I spent a fortune down there.

Haven’t dealt with them in probably 10 years.

Anyway, keep us posted and best of luck either way if it works who cares. I gotta go to work. I gotta go do a double.

Good night
Remember lol...some people arent gun nerds

Spending 1200 on a 226 legion is exepensive when all youve bought is rugers

Tight tolerances is better than sloppy tolerances. There is nothing wrong with your gun.
Maybe. But this is par for the course from sig. At least eventually it'll probably stop accumulating after a few more hundred rounds I don't know I don't really pay attention to stuff like this because it doesn't matter.

These problems were worse in the "nitron madness" era. The slide coatings were so abrasive that they basically would just grind all of the anodizing right off the rails..... 🤣 even if the gun was well lubricated.

View attachment 788875View attachment 788919
Brand new P226 Legion.
Cleaned and lubed before first range trip and this is what I brought home after.
I would expect this kind of wear after a couple thousand rounds, not 2 boxes of Winchester.
I will be contacting Sig Sauer customer service about this and we shall see if they send out their "acceptable wear" responce letter.

View: https://youtu.be/htS2zKhTXvI?si=rwFVttpg3LUNETo_

If it was me? Honestly I wouldn't really care unless the rails were being ground to bits but even at that eventually it's going to stop and unless your accuracy is compromised.... who cares? Just keep shooting the damn thing it's just a $1,200 production gun, it's not some kind of like holy grail or something. We're in the post 2013 era too, manufacturers who used to care about things like that, generally don't. The gun buyer demographic has shifted. Back when the demo was more hardcore this kind of stuff actually mattered because it would influence manufacturers heavily and also influenced other people's purchasing decisions..... now? Not so much. The commodity gun makers have figured out that a healthy portion of the guns that they make are never even taken out to the range. (I wouldn't be shocked if it's like 30% or more. )

View: https://youtu.be/htS2zKhTXvI?si=rwFVttpg3LUNETo_

If it was me? Honestly I wouldn't really care unless the rails were being ground to bits but even at that eventually it's going to stop and unless your accuracy is compromised.... who cares? Just keep shooting the damn thing it's just a $1,200 production gun, it's not some kind of like holy grail or something. We're in the post 2013 era too, manufacturers who used to care about things like that, generally don't. The gun buyer demographic has shifted. Back when the demo was more hardcore this kind of stuff actually mattered because it would influence manufacturers heavily and also influenced other people's purchasing decisions..... now? Not so much. The commodity gun makers have figured out that a healthy portion of the guns that they make are never even taken out to the range. (I wouldn't be shocked if it's like 30% or more. )

1200 is a lot to some folks

But now OP can't sell it as BNIB, Never Fired.

But he can sell it as "recent Sig with 50 rounds through it" and people will be like "yeah, seems about right."

Not sure why they spray painted the barrel black, don't think my West German P226 is like that.

I mean, it's a new Sig, of course it has quality issues. Did you expect something different from the former Kimber CEO?

Tight tolerances is better than sloppy tolerances. There is nothing wrong with your gun.
Oh is that why GI 1911s that are looser than Lizzo still work better than new ones that are tight as a virgin flea?

Back
Top Bottom