• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Poor Sig Sauer finish on P226

Plastic guns don't change color with wear but the trigger guards get holster shiny. The aggressive grip textures get smoother.
The bluing on the bolt of my Mk IV, worn.
The finish on the BCGs of my rifles, worn.
Every surface of every gun that rubs in and out of a holster a few hundred times? Worn.
The sandblasted surfaces of my 'in the white' 1911 that rub anything? Getting shiny.

If it's not a safe queen, it's going to wear. If it is a safe queen, it'll stay perfect until one day when you pull it out to look it over after a few years untouched, you'll find corrosion. Entropy is a thing.

Finding a cheaper hobby is an option. 😂
Listen i don't know this guy's situation

Now i operate at a stud club level but there was a time

When your kinda new to firearms and you think a versioned sig is the cream of the crop and you save for a few months for one.

Now I'm in banging swedish lingerie models while i dual weild lugos

But there was a time

Plastic guns don't change color with wear but the trigger guards get holster shiny. The aggressive grip textures get smoother.
The bluing on the bolt of my Mk IV, worn.
The finish on the BCGs of my rifles, worn.
Every surface of every gun that rubs in and out of a holster a few hundred times? Worn.
The sandblasted surfaces of my 'in the white' 1911 that rub anything? Getting shiny.

If it's not a safe queen, it's going to wear. If it is a safe queen, it'll stay perfect until one day when you pull it out to look it over after a few years untouched, you'll find corrosion. Entropy is a thing.
No but the legion series finish goes to total shit faster than it should too.

I know its only 1200 but my 350 dollar canik didnt look that shitty after 5k rounds lol

My p365xl has terrible nitride finish on the slide, trigger, and mag release. All of them are prone to rusting if exposed to sweat, and the exposed top of the slide has tons of wear and little pock marks. Only about 200 days of total EDC time with it. Shoots well at least.

It’s not even that nice wear pattern that just makes a gun look well used. It’s just a bad finish.

My gen 5 glock looks brand new still, absolutely excellent finish. I’ve heard they experimented with multiple different finishes on early gen 5’s (tenefor got banned), and some sucked, but whatever they settled on is fantastic.

Both guns have about equal time being carried.

I believe the 365 series has the same nitriding as the legion series.

Last edited:
My p365xl has terrible nitride finish on the slide, trigger, and mag release. All of them are prone to rusting if exposed to sweat, and the exposed top of the slide has tons of wear and little pock marks. Only about 200 days of total EDC time with it. Shoots well at least.

It’s not even that nice wear pattern that just makes a gun look well used. It’s just a bad finish.

My gen 5 glock looks brand new still, absolutely excellent finish. I’ve heard they experimented with multiple different finishes on early gen 5’s (tenefor got banned), and some sucked, but whatever they settled on is fantastic.

Both guns have about equal time being carried.

I believe the 365 series has the same nitriding as the legion series.
Really? My macro looks perfect after being carried since may

And my hellcat which was carried from feb to may looks beat to shit

1200 is a lot to some folks

So?

That still doesn't change what the gun is. A production handgun that happens to be a little above median. It, or sig doesn't care how poor someone is, or if they are a wealthy skinflint that feels scorned (altho flints don't usually buy legions, lol ) etc. If they can't afford it maybe buy something else? For 99% of people who can buy a Legion it's not likely a life altering purchase financially. Factor in ammo cost these days and it becomes more stark.

Listen i don't know this guy's situation

Now i operate at a stud club level but there was a time

When your kinda new to firearms and you think a versioned sig is the cream of the crop and you save for a few months for one.

Now I'm in banging swedish lingerie models while i dual weild lugos

But there was a time
If I was poor tomorrow I'd sell my legion, 90% of the other shit, save a few glocks and that'd be it. Been there lived that. If im poor im not gonna leave that lane unless i can do it responsibly.

I know its only 1200 but my 350 dollar canik didnt look that shitty after 5k rounds lol

Given Sigs QC it doesn't shock me. Also most of my glocks don't look like that, but they not as tight as a p series.

If I was poor tomorrow I'd sell my legion, 90% of the other shit, save a few glocks and that'd be it. Been there lived that. If im poor im not gonna leave that lane unless i can do it responsibly.

Given Sigs QC it doesn't shock me. Also most of my glocks don't look like that, but they not as tight as a p series.
Yeah i get it

Im just saying you never know this could be his step up in gun class

$1200 for a legion isn’t terrible.. I thought that used to cost more than that.
Even your standard P226 isn’t cheap.

Either way it’s the ammo that will get you.
I barely even shoot anymore.

It’s sad all my reloading shit starting to rust. I can’t cover it without disassembling a bunch of shit but now I wish I did. It doesn’t matter. It’s still does but supposed to do when I decide to use it.

AFAIK, there have been two Legion finishes. One now deprecated, (I think DLC) and currently, Cerakote. Never owned the older category but the Cerkote ones seem to wear as you'd expect for cerakote and no worse.

This is not the same as the barrel hood going white we see. That doesn't appear to be Legion specific problem and sure isn't legion-specific on my Sigs, they all have it but the actual shape doesn't change. (no burs, meaning or the like) . What I don't know is, how does it go with, say Glocks shot to the thousands of rounds? Dunno, don't own any but all my other non-Sig stuff also wears visibly.

I have a P226 Legion manufactured in 21. Finish is not durable compared to many of my other firearms. Lots of holster ware on the slide. Great firearm however I do wish Sig put on a more durable finish.

My 3 or 4 month old P365 has serious finish wear, there is not any left on the mag release. I carry it every day but not like I have run any classes or anything with it. Or been in any sand storms or grit blasting booths. My circa 2010 Austria-made Glock 19 with thousands of rounds from various classes and lots of carry still looks nearly brand new (except dirt in the roll-marks on the slide, but that's just called "character").

AFAIK, there have been two Legion finishes. One now deprecated, (I think DLC) and currently, Cerakote. Never owned the older category but the Cerkote ones seem to wear as you'd expect for cerakote and no worse.

This is not the same as the barrel hood going white we see. That doesn't appear to be Legion specific problem and sure isn't legion-specific on my Sigs, they all have it but the actual shape doesn't change. (no burs, meaning or the like) . What I don't know is, how does it go with, say Glocks shot to the thousands of rounds? Dunno, don't own any but all my other non-Sig stuff also wears visibly.
Tighter tolerances on the sig

All sigs break in on the barrel hood. Keep shooting it, it will polish itself to a mirror finish. They tolerance them a little tight from the factory so you can break it in.

When the finish does come off, just spraypaint it like PSR. It will come out looking awesome.

Tighter tolerances on the sig

All sigs break in on the barrel hood. Keep shooting it, it will polish itself to a mirror finish. They tolerance them a little tight from the factory so you can break it in.

When the finish does come off, just spraypaint it like PSR. It will come out looking awesome.

Not to nit-pick, but I think everyone is referring to a smaller clearance. Clearance is space between components, whereas tolerance is the acceptable deviation from nominal dimensions. If you have smaller clearances, you generally need tighter tolerances to ensure everything fits together.

View attachment 788875View attachment 788919
Brand new P226 Legion.
Cleaned and lubed before first range trip and this is what I brought home after.
I would expect this kind of wear after a couple thousand rounds, not 2 boxes of Winchester.
I will be contacting Sig Sauer customer service about this and we shall see if they send out their "acceptable wear" responce letter.

P226-SS.jpeg

A lot of people have complained about the finish on Sig Legion Series Pistols. (mainly not wearing well)

I wish the still offered the Sig Elite Series which was Stainless Steel (not blackened); with wood grips. Those were beautiful pistols.

So?

That still doesn't change what the gun is. A production handgun that happens to be a little above median. It, or sig doesn't care how poor someone is, or if they are a wealthy skinflint that feels scorned (altho flints don't usually buy legions, lol ) etc. If they can't afford it maybe buy something else? For 99% of people who can buy a Legion it's not likely a life altering purchase financially. Factor in ammo cost these days and it becomes more stark.

A lot of people think legions are high end guns
They had a good marketing push

A lot of people think legions are high end guns
They had a good marketing push
I tried the regular one, the mk25 and the legion all at once. I bought the legion with no regrets. Paid a premium as it was just released.

The finish on mine is fine. I even have holstered it a bunch. No wear.

I had two, sold the DA/SA as I preferred the SAO

Old pic when I had both.

ETA: the trigger sold me (da/sa) was way better than the other two

IMG_5255.png

Glocks have sloppy tolerances. That's why you get like 85 MOA accuracy. But hey that barrel hood looks good right?

Your Sig is just breaking in and soon that barrel hood will be a nice polish across the entire top.

Glocks have sloppy tolerances. That's why you get like 85 MOA accuracy. But hey that barrel hood looks good right?
That's not an indication of accuracy (or lack thereof) at all. But yes, sure, the hoods all get shined up like that, normally. In the old days they used to just (the factory) would polish off the top of the hood. So in a way this is still sig having shitty QC.

I tried the regular one, the mk25 and the legion all at once. I bought the legion with no regrets. Paid a premium as it was just released.

The finish on mine is fine. I even have holstered it a bunch. No wear.

I had two, sold the DA/SA as I preferred the SAO

Old pic when I had both.

ETA: the trigger sold me (da/sa) was way better than the other two

View attachment 789216
They are fine firearms

Not my cup o tea but i don't hate

There's just another couple of levels above them in price

But my point is they are a class above say a glock or a sig

So people do kinda lust after them

The 226 is a manifestation of a truly classic design, the tidied up and buttoned down 220 much like the 1911 was the maturation, the apex of the Browning designs that preceded it. The 226 is in the same bucket as a 1911, Beretta 92, Ruger Mark whatever and CZ 75. Classics are classics for reasons.

The SAO Legion 226 is my favorite, by far. Is it the 'best'? Nope. It's got weird bits; the rebound hammer, the school-bus-with a-handle high bore axis, the big ole hump on the back of the grip that just aren't for everyone. Is the color nice? To me? Nope. It's downside to accept for me. Does the barrel hood go all spotty bright? Yep. Are there smoother, tighter guns for the same or less money Yep. Hell a 92f is arguably better on those metrics and a lot cheaper and I love them too but they're just not the same.

Is the 226 Legion SAO 'worth it'? Dunno, but it's the only currently available SAO 226 short of the X-Five I can't rationalize buying (yet) or the Zev (See below) and the SA trigger is nicer, to me, than the SA mode of the DA/SA and that, if you like a 226 is reason enough to go Legion.

All this said, there's nothing wrong with Glocks and their endless clones or the polymer HKs and Walthers. It's just that, sometimes, you want something that is unabashedly refuses to be plastic. (And, before I get jumped on for that comment, there are a lot of good arguments in favor of plastic especially in the case of the 320 and 365 with their total modularity.)

I see Nighthawks and Staccatos and high-end Wilson's at the range and lust after them all too. Are tricked out race guns cool? Sure, if you have the skills to really shoot one to its limits and most people just don't. The only category I have no interest in are blinged out Gucci guns festooned with every aftermarket add-on in different colors of Cerakote and annnodize. They seem like Hondas with lowering kits and coffee can exhausts to me. (And this is also why I don't like the Zev 226)

Pretty much no modern mass-market gun is really worth safe-queening. They just make too many of them. Shoot 'em, abuse 'em, fix 'em, shoot 'em some more. When they look battered, they look battered because they're yours.

It comes with a fancy coin so you know it’s high end…
Not to be a pedantic It doesn't come with the coin. Rather when 'join the Legion' you get a challenge coin. It's pretty crappy from a numismatic perspective (They don't even make claims about what it's made of) and it could be even dumber than the little miniature toy gun that comes with Caniks which is pretty dumb (but still kinda fun in its dumbness).

For whatever it's worth, the 'reason' Sig does the the challenge coin with the Legions thing isn't based on any kind of believable claim the coin has value (though they do charge $13 if you want to buy one...jeezus.. I was shocked when I just checked) or that you become a 'member' of some sort of elite fraternity but the incentive it creates to 'register' your Legion with Sig so they can market more stuff to you. To get the coin and the nice but who needs it 5.11 (and WTF is with that color?) pistol pouch, you have to log in to their site and have them shipped 'free' to you with the Legion account. You initially bother with this silliness because you want to get the best price by including all the goodies if you might sell the pistol down the road.

All totally legit commentary that this is layers and layers of marketing B.S. aside, the benefits of getting an actual rep at Sig via the registration confirmation email with whom you can build a real relationship with are huge if you want more Sig stuff or want service on your gear. The benefits of that relationship have more than offset the added cost of a Legion vs not for me.

Not to be a pedantic It doesn't come with the coin. Rather when 'join the Legion' you get a challenge coin. It's pretty crappy from a numismatic perspective (They don't even make claims about what it's made of) and it could be even dumber than the little miniature toy gun that comes with Caniks which is pretty dumb (but still kinda fun in its dumbness).

For whatever it's worth, the 'reason' Sig does the the challenge coin with the Legions thing isn't based on any kind of believable claim the coin has value (though they do charge $13 if you want to buy one...jeezus.. I was shocked when I just checked) or that you become a 'member' of some sort of elite fraternity but the incentive it creates to 'register' your Legion with Sig so they can market more stuff to you. To get the coin and the nice but who needs it 5.11 (and WTF is with that color?) pistol pouch, you have to log in to their site and have them shipped 'free' to you with the Legion account. You initially bother with this silliness because you want to get the best price by including all the goodies if you might sell the pistol down the road.

All totally legit commentary that this is layers and layers of marketing B.S. aside, the benefits of getting an actual rep at Sig via the registration confirmation email with whom you can build a real relationship with are huge if you want more Sig stuff or want service on your gear. The benefits of that relationship have more than offset the added cost of a Legion vs not for me.
At least the toy gun for the caniks is a wrench tho lol

Back
Top Bottom