• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Poor Sig Sauer finish on P226

Sig went downhill when they started producing 15 different finishes of all kinds of stupid colors. It’s not the color or the finishes whoever’s in charge is definitely a tool.
The ron cohen era started long before that. It has basically nothing to do with that. If anything they've bouyed a bit and are on a QC upswing vs years past. Of course there is the "now crowning turd with farts slipping by" aka the P320 debacle, but it doesn't seem to hurt them much...... 🤣

Following to see Sigs response to OP.

Before I purchased my Legion’s I knew after reading reviews it had a surface that easily scratched (I‘m OK with normal wear & tear marks, no big deal). My barrel hood looks similar and side surface are still in great shape. Unless you keep it in a safe and only fire few rounds a year, it’s going to happen.

Attachments

• 220C25EE-A00D-4635-85C5-1B9853915433.jpeg
    220C25EE-A00D-4635-85C5-1B9853915433.jpeg
    426.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 63D4FB3E-565E-4B7E-9E2B-59FFBBBBDB82.jpeg
    63D4FB3E-565E-4B7E-9E2B-59FFBBBBDB82.jpeg
    778.9 KB · Views: 23
  • F9A6FFC7-B519-4855-BEFD-B92C30B65A93.jpeg
    F9A6FFC7-B519-4855-BEFD-B92C30B65A93.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 083B548D-5340-44D7-9A9B-57BA355F961C.jpeg
    083B548D-5340-44D7-9A9B-57BA355F961C.jpeg
    886.1 KB · Views: 23
  • E757175D-FFE6-466D-B056-3F9D14BC0DD9.jpeg
    E757175D-FFE6-466D-B056-3F9D14BC0DD9.jpeg
    871.7 KB · Views: 24
This was Sig Sauer's responce to my inquiry for those that were curious. As you can see they have offered to refinish the barrel. I will not be taking them up on their offer at this time.

Thank you for the pictures. These are lockup points, the pistol has a very tight lockup by design and this is normal wear. The barrel to slide fitment is rigid, which produces a more accurate and longer lasting pistol. Wear like this will occur to a certain extent and then cease. The barrel hood is a good location for added lubrication. We can bring in the barrel for a refinish, however the wear is likely to re-occur, let me know. I have an image below of normal wear like this for your review.

Sig Responce.jpg

I've seen that same finish loss on many of my Sigs, and to varying degree on groups of 229, 226 and others. Some seem to wear in a bit more than others, but then once the wear pattern is established it does not seem to get any worse. Tight tolerances, tight lockup, solid pistols. I would not refinish that and just shoot it.

I love my old Rugers, "ruger rough" is a thing to be sure. Even so, clunky, rough, but they've run just fine. Many thousands of lead cast reloads, in various guns, and they still run fine. No question the fit and finish of Sigs is superior, but when I started out I could afford Rugers. Now, I still don't buy "high end" Sigs or others but tend to buy more utilitarian models. I've been up to Sig many times, and dealt with customer service there and had no issues at all.

This was Sig Sauer's responce to my inquiry for those that were curious. As you can see they have offered to refinish the barrel. I will not be taking them up on their offer at this time.

Thank you for the pictures. These are lockup points, the pistol has a very tight lockup by design and this is normal wear. The barrel to slide fitment is rigid, which produces a more accurate and longer lasting pistol. Wear like this will occur to a certain extent and then cease. The barrel hood is a good location for added lubrication. We can bring in the barrel for a refinish, however the wear is likely to re-occur, let me know. I have an image below of normal wear like this for your review.

View attachment 792049

None of those seem to be as bad as your barrel and those example barrels clearly have thousands of round through them. Not 100.

View attachment 788875View attachment 788919
Brand new P226 Legion.
Cleaned and lubed before first range trip and this is what I brought home after.
I would expect this kind of wear after a couple thousand rounds, not 2 boxes of Winchester.
I will be contacting Sig Sauer customer service about this and we shall see if they send out their "acceptable wear" responce letter.
All my Browning type semi auto pistols have some degree of wear like that. These are tools. If you use them, they’re going to show wear.

My P226 has never had any sort of failure with all sorts of ammo. It has earned my trust. I'm not an obsessed fan of SIG per se. I was lucky to get a great gun. Who knows, maybe the serial number before or after mine was a horror show, IDK? Guns are like people, they should be judged individually.

It could just be a manufacturing hiccup for this batch, I remember years ago the Arsenal SLR 107's finish was becoming dog shit out of nowhere, the guns functioned flawlessly but everyone was bitching about it..

So?

That still doesn't change what the gun is. A production handgun that happens to be a little above median. It, or sig doesn't care how poor someone is, or if they are a wealthy skinflint that feels scorned (altho flints don't usually buy legions, lol ) etc. If they can't afford it maybe buy something else? For 99% of people who can buy a Legion it's not likely a life altering purchase financially. Factor in ammo cost these days and it becomes more stark.
You guys , stop flexing on the Poors. Or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom