• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

possession of handgun

Does anyone know of hand if you need a permit to possess a handgun in the home??? I know there is a permit to carry and a permit to purchase, but if one is going to be staying in CT and doesnt have a permit yet is anything needed to keep the handgun in the home?

.....upon bothering to look it up, at least according to the NRA-ILA no permit is needed for possession but maybe someone will correct me.

As you discovered from NRA-ILA, no permit needed.

CGS § 29-35(a): No person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit to carry the same...

Does anyone know of hand if you need a permit to possess a handgun in the home??? I know there is a permit to carry and a permit to purchase, but if one is going to be staying in CT and doesnt have a permit yet is anything needed to keep the handgun in the home?

There is no permit to purchase as far as i know....Once you have a permit to carry you can buy whatever and however many you want....and you can buy long guns without any type of permit (stupid 14 day waiting period if you buy from an FFL though)

There is no waiting period if you have a permit, 14 day is only for non permit so they can do the backround check.

There is no permit to purchase as far as i know....Once you have a permit to carry you can buy whatever and however many you want....and you can buy long guns without any type of permit (stupid 14 day waiting period if you buy from an FFL though)

There is a permit to purchase, its separate from the carry permit. I know you can purchase on the carry permit also, and I am not sure what the difference is in obtaining the purchase permit v. the carry permit. but I know there is one

Eligibility Certificate

An eligibility certificate is issued pursuant to C.G.S. 29-36f through 29-36i. It entitles the holder to purchase a firearm and transport same to their residence or place of business. It does not entitle the holder to carry a pistol or revolver on their person

Last edited:
I am not sure what the difference is in obtaining the purchase permit v. the carry permit.

Obviously, you cannot carry on an eligibility certificate. But a large difference is the eligibility certificate is SHALL ISSUE, while the permit to carry is MAY ISSUE, subject to suitability.

Obviously, you cannot carry on an eligibility certificate. But a large difference is the eligibility certificate is SHALL ISSUE, while the permit to carry is MAY ISSUE, subject to suitability.

your right there, but in practice even the carry permit is shall issue. The licensing authority cannot require a need for permit, and also there are no restrictions.

Does anyone know anybody with an eligibility certificate ???? i don't even know of anyone who has been denied a permit to carry in CT.....i don't see the point of a certificate..or why anyone would "apply" for one..

I guy at worked asked me this very question. I was unable to answer to his or my satisfaction.

I assumed that you could legally own a handgun and keep it in your home. However I was never able to figure out how he or anyone would be able to get that handgun. If you need the permit to buy it legally, where are you/he suppose to get the gun in the first place?

I know you are NEVER suppose to purchase any gun for someone, so that was out of the question. Is this something that remains legal for those cases that someone inherits a handgun or if you somehow obtained one elsewhere?

I assumed that you could legally own a handgun and keep it in your home. However I was never able to figure out how he or anyone would be able to get that handgun. If you need the permit to buy it legally, where are you/he suppose to get the gun in the first place?

CT law is pretty clear and reasonable on this. You can purchase a handgun with an eligibility certificate (Sec. 29-33), and you do not need a permit to carry the handgun home from the dealer, as long as it's enclosed in the original packaging (Sec. 29-35). It also allows for you to move your handguns as part of your household goods when you are moving your residence.

MA law, on the other hand, is completely squirrely with their equivalent, the Permit to Purchase, and doesn't seem to say anywhere directly that you are allowed to possess it when bringing it home from the dealer. Though one would hope that it would logically follow.

But in the end, both the eligibility cert and the permit to purchase do seem like vestigial sections of law.

Last edited:
CT law is pretty clear and reasonable on this. You can purchase a handgun with an eligibility certificate (Sec. 29-33), and you do not need a permit to carry the handgun home from the dealer, as long as it's enclosed in the original packaging (Sec. 29-35). It also allows for you to move your handguns as part of your household goods when you are moving your residence.

MA law, on the other hand, is completely squirrely with their equivalent, the Permit to Purchase, and doesn't seem to say anywhere directly that you are allowed to possess it when bringing it home from the dealer. Though one would hope that it would logically follow.

But in the end, both the eligibility cert and the permit to purchase do seem like vestigial sections of law.

Ok... I thought of another situation in which one could find themselves withoutout a permit and with a handgun(s).

If you let your CCW permit expire, you are now stuck with a gun or many ... without a means in which to transport outside your home.

Is an eligibility cert. something you just go to you local PD and fill out a form and walk out the door with?

If you let your CCW permit expire, you are now stuck with a gun or many ... without a means in which to transport outside your home.

Where do you want to take it? Sec. 29-35 also allows you to take it to the range or to get repaired without need a permit, as long as it's unloaded and in the trunk (or in a locked container if you have no trunk).

ToeRag said:
Is an eligibility cert. something you just go to you local PD and fill out a form and walk out the door with?

Dunno, I'll leave that question to a CT resident who has some experience in the matter. But if you're going to the trouble of getting an eligibility cert, why not just get the pistol permit instead?

An "Elegibilty certificate" just confirms your back round check and does not require an NRA Safety or any training to obtain unlike a CCW permit.
you can get the form at your local PD or State police barrack.

Ok... I thought of another situation in which one could find themselves withoutout a permit and with a handgun(s).

.....or my case, mass resident with ltc (soon) with no ct permit who is living in ct for a period of time

And in MA, if you ask an IA about a "permit to purchase" the licensing officer will likely give you a fairly "squirrelly" "WTF???" look. [laugh] I doubt there are any PDs in MA that will even issue them anymore.

-Mike

And in MA, if you ask an IA about a "permit to purchase" the licensing officer will likely give you a fairly "squirrelly" "WTF???" look. [laugh] I doubt there are any PDs in MA that will even issue them anymore.

I think you're right. Besides, the requirements are so close to the requirements of getting an LTC that there wouldn't be much reason to bother anyway. Still, I think I'll ask for one next time I see my chief, just to bust his balls [smile]

I would just say get a permit to carry..forget the certificate...in my town i wasn't asked any questions as to why i wanted it or anything..and out of state residents can get one easy too.....you do not need a permit to have a gun in your home or business..and as long as the handgun is legal..i don't think it matters how you got it..

Sorry to rain on your parade but CT has seen fit to create this "loophole" in their favor.

CT does allow non-permitted homeowners and business owners to have firearms in their possession on their property....

.....however......

...in order to purchase one, you must have gone through the same training as any other applicant for a carry permit. Without that permit, you won't be able to purchase anything from anyone; privately or through any FFL. I've heard of the "elegibility certificate" but have never met anyone who has received one. It's just not practical.

This was not the case just a short time ago. It USED to be that a property/business owner could purchase a handgun from an FFL, fill out the paperwork and go through a background check. Once that was cleared in a couple of weeks, you would be contacted to come pick up your firearm. When you collected it, you had to go DIRECTLY to where the gun would live with no stops in between. Once there, the gun would live out its life never leaving the property unless someone with a permit had it in their posession.

Today that's all gone. So, while it remains legal for a non-permitted person to have a handgun in their home or business, there is no legitimate way for them to get the gun there in the firstplace without going through the paperwork and taking the class (unless you move here with it as part of your personal posessions, I guess). Sounds like a loophole in favor of the state to me!

And a homeowner/business owner can't purchase one from a citizen or receive one as a gift, either. Handguns must be done with the proper paperwork through an FFL, period.

Rome

Sorry to rain on your parade but CT has seen fit to create this "loophole" in their favor.

CT does allow non-permitted homeowners and business owners to have firearms in their possession on their property....

.....however......

...in order to purchase one, you must have gone through the same training as any other applicant for a carry permit. Without that permit, you won't be able to purchase anything from anyone; privately or through any FFL. I've heard of the "elegibility certificate" but have never met anyone who has received one. It's just not practical.

This was not the case just a short time ago. It USED to be that a property/business owner could purchase a handgun from an FFL, fill out the paperwork and go through a background check. Once that was cleared in a couple of weeks, you would be contacted to come pick up your firearm. When you collected it, you had to go DIRECTLY to where the gun would live with no stops in between. Once there, the gun would live out its life never leaving the property unless someone with a permit had it in their posession.

Today that's all gone. So, while it remains legal for a non-permitted person to have a handgun in their home or business, there is no legitimate way for them to get the gun there in the firstplace without going through the paperwork and taking the class (unless you move here with it as part of your personal posessions, I guess). Sounds like a loophole in favor of the state to me!

And a homeowner/business owner can't purchase one from a citizen or receive one as a gift, either. Handguns must be done with the proper paperwork through an FFL, period.

Rome

well getting the handgun isnt a problem. I have my license in MA, my residence is in Mass, but I am currently living in CT attending school..

well lets say i stay at my girlfriends apartment sometimes and "leave" a handgun there...and she is not otherwise prohibited from having a handgun....is that illegal?? Its a lawful handgun and she is in her own private residence...i don't see how..

Last edited:
well lets say i stay at my girlfriends apartment sometimes and "leave" a handgun there...and she is not otherwise prohibited from having a handgun....is that illegal?? Its a lawful handgun and she is in her own private residence...i don't see how..

I would think that would be looked down upon. She is, in effect, receiving a handgun from you. The law says, "no person may purchase or receive any pistol or revolver unless such person holds a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver [...]"

I am going to consult an attorney about that..and the other way around...what if she is at my apartment..and i leave..and have gun/guns out that she has access too.....cause i look at this and assume she is fine...

Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions. (a) No person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit to carry the same issued as provided in section 29-28.

Last edited:
Your bold quote above means YOU can carry on YOUR person in that dwelling or place of business. It does not mean you can leave it there planning on returning a week or two later.

I think you'd have a leg to stand on if the dwelling was in your name. Since it's her apartment I think you'd have a hard time saying she didn't receive it from you.

Leaving it in your apartment when she is there should be fine as long as you meet the storage requirements.

Have her get a shotgun (or get a permit and then she can buy her own handgun).

Last edited:
Check out the NRA site for some info on this.

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59

CONNECTICUT--A permit is required to carry a handgun in a vehicle. Nonresidents may carry a handgun in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in a firearms competition or an exhibition provided they are residents of the U.S. and have valid permits-to-carry issued by any other state or locality. No permit is required when changing residences, provided the handgun is unloaded and cased or securely wrapped. A special permit is required to possess an assault weapon. An "assault weapon" is any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semi-automatic or burst fire at the option of the user, or any one of more than 5 dozen specified semi-automatics. Contact the Connecticut State Police Special Firearms Licensing Unit for further information at (860)685-8290.

Back
Top Bottom