• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

possession of handgun

The NRA-ILA site is a good place to start, but you really don't want to rely on it. For instance, the definition given there as to what CT considers an assault weapon is woefully incomplete. Also, while the above is factually correct about changing residences with a handgun, it doesn't really mean much if you cannot easily obtain said handgun without a permit in the first place, which is what we are discussing in this thread.

Where do you want to take it? Sec. 29-35 also allows you to take it to the range or to get repaired without need a permit, as long as it's unloaded and in the trunk (or in a locked container if you have no trunk).

I was just re-reading the thread and had to call you on this part... Where does it say you can take it to the range without a permit? it does say you can transport for formal training, but not just to the range. Now normally I wouldnt get into this nit-picking, however if I have my gun with me in ct, and no permit yet, I believe I need someone else to transport it when I go to the range here.

it does say you can transport for formal training, but not just to the range.

Ch 529 Sec. 29-35 further clarifies what "formal training" means: "For the purposes of this subsection, 'formal pistol or revolver training' means pistol or revolver training at a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility"

So I guess the question left unanswered is if you need an instructor in order for it to be training, or whether self-instruction and practice is considered training. I don't see that clarification in the statutes, but perhaps it has been clarified elsewhere.

Your bold quote above means YOU can carry on YOUR person in that dwelling or place of business. It does not mean you can leave it there planning on returning a week or two later.

I think you'd have a leg to stand on if the dwelling was in your name. Since it's her apartment I think you'd have a hard time saying she didn't receive it from you.

Leaving it in your apartment when she is there should be fine as long as you meet the storage requirements.

Have her get a shotgun (or get a permit and then she can buy her own handgun).

True..i should just leave a shotgun there...and of course she is over 16 so there is no storage requirement..

As noted, I don't know why anyone would get an eligibility certificate instead of a full blown state permit to carry pistols and revolvers. You pretty much have to jump through all the same hoops and CT it pretty much shall issue for the temporary/state permit.

What pisses me of about CT is requiring you to have the permit just to transport a handgun is nothing more than a "pay to play" tax. Want to go to the range? Want to go to a competition? Heck, want to take it over and show a friend? Gotta have that danged permit because the law addresses "regardless of condition" when transporting a handgun. To me, that means detail stripped, locked up in five separate hard cases in the trunk and NO ammo in the car. Still transporting a handgun "regardless of condition".

I read somewhere that CT is the 4th highest state in the US regarding the ratio of people that are legally eligible to obtain a permit to the number of people that actually have the permit. The percentage is even higher than gun loving states like AZ, TX and FL. It's not because so many people want to carry, but you have to have it to virtually do ANYTHING with a handgun other than fondle it at home. That little old lady that has a .38 snubbie in her nightstand MUST have that permit to be legal if she wants to practice at the range once or twice a year, even though she never intends to carry a day in her life. Like Ray Liotta said in Goodfellas... "F^ck you, pay me!" [rolleyes]

Ch 529 Sec. 29-35 further clarifies what "formal training" means: "For the purposes of this subsection, 'formal pistol or revolver training' means pistol or revolver training at a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility"

So I guess the question left unanswered is if you need an instructor in order for it to be training, or whether self-instruction and practice is considered training. I don't see that clarification in the statutes, but perhaps it has been clarified elsewhere.

As a matter of fact, I emailed the SLFU and got a response about this very thing from the XO, SGT Bastura. No, range practice is NOT "formal training", so you'd better be on signed up on a roster if you're en route to and have a receipt/certificate en route from if you get popped. I also asked about open carry since it specifically is NOT prohibited by law, but was thrown legal "smoke and mirrors". [rolleyes]

"Dear Mike,

Sorry for the delay. Target practice and target shooting do not qualify as
"formal training."
In regard to your open vs. concealed carry questions, we
are not authorized to provide legal opinions. I recommend that you contact
legal counsel to assist you in that regard.

Sincerely,

Sergeant Ronald A. Bastura
Executive Officer
Special Licensing and Firearms Unit

State of Connecticut
Department of Public Safety
Division of State Police
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, CT 06457-2389

Special Licensing: (860) 685-8046
Investigations: (860) 685-8160

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail transmission (and any attachments