Potassium Permanganate and Glycerine: every try this??

Hi all.

I occasionally watch the "survivorman" series on the tube. Recently he peaked my interest with a guaranteed firestarter. He used potassium permanganate and glycerine which produces an exothermic reaction to make a fire.

Both of these chemicals are easily obtained. The glycerine is at your local pharmacy in the skin care isle. The 14KMnO4 is available online for about $17 a bottle which will last a very long time.

I tried this today. It works just as this film proves:

http://genchem.chem.wisc.edu/demons...s/06thermopage/reaction_of_potassium_perm.htm

Just thought I'd share the info. I had no idea this would work so well! Now both items are in my "kit" should I need them.

Rome

I tought I was going to be the first one to post this.... The show was on about an 1Hr ago....
Ok , ok I will give a try.......[grin]

Potassium P was also rumored to be used on Finn gun stocks many years ago. Off topic but just some milsurp trivia on a product I figured I'd share.[wink]

I saw that episode. Remind me again how he happened to have Potassium Permanganate on him? It's not something I would even have around so it wouldn't help me in a survival situation unless I had on purposely planned to bring it for starting fires.

BUT, if I was planning to start fires in a survival situation, I would have just brought a lighter! Much easier, pretty reliable, compact, safe and long-lasting. The only problem I've encountered with lighters is that they won't work in cold temperatures until you warm it up (so just put it somewhere for a while... under armpit, in butt crack, wherever).

Back
Top Bottom