Preban or Postban AR

I am starting the quest for a nice AR. Is it worth a couple hundred bucks to get a nice pre ban colt, or is the bushmaster the same?

I'm unclear on what you're asking. There may be a few hundred dollars difference between a preban Colt and a preban Bushmaster, but not between a preban Colt and a postban Bushmaster. Big difference between preban and post ban in general.

In terms of Colt vs. Bushmaster, they are essentially of equal quality. Some will disagree, but I'd challenge them to prove it.

For me, the difference comes down to what features and finish I'm looking for. When I want a preban with a full fence and a forward assist, but no shell deflector, Colt is out, as they didn't make them in that configuration in semi-auto. If you are looking for a slab side lower and you want a gray park finsh, go for the Colt.

One thing to consider, when looking at a Colt, is that their semi-autos use a different size front hole for the lower. You will need an adaptor if you wish to mount another brand's upper on the Colt Lower. For instance I have a 70's vintage SP1 that I wanted to mount an M16A1 upper on, because I wanted the forward assist. I had to buy an adaptor to be able to mate the two, even though both were mode by Colt.

I'd suggest looking at a selection of different AR's and find the rifle that appeals most and buyt it, regardless if its Colt, Bushmaster, or another well established manufacturer.

Just my two cents.

Chris

IMHO, the only reason to spend the extra cash for a pre-ban is if you decide you can't live without and adjustable stock, a removable flash hider, or a bayonet lug. Post ban Colts are the same quality as preban Colts, so your paying extra for those 3 features. I'm looking for a preban because I want to build a short barrel rifle, and I can't see paying on a $200 tax stamp and not have a collapsing stock. My only objection to Colt is the ones with the odd sized pivot and takedown pins.

As for quality differences between manufacturers, there's a lot of information out there, some of which (it being the internet and all) is crap. Every manufacturer has built bad rifles - some build far fewer than others. If you head over to M4Carbine.net, and search for a post in the technical section called Comparision Chart of Major AR brands, you'll find an excellent discussion of AR features and benefits - it's worth reading the whole thing. Keep in mind that the chart is based on quality control methods and parts that will result in a statistically more reliable rifle, and that every one of those methods/parts will cost more. The comparison is designed for finding the rifle you would bet your life on, not the most cost effective way to get an AR.

Every one of those listed manufacturers has built good rifles. If your intended use is range only, than the price of a malfunction will probably only be a ruined afternoon, a wait for a warranty return, or the price of new parts, and you may decide you don't have to spend the extra money. Also, everything on the AR is replaceable and upgradeable. The best answer for you might be to buy the rifle you can best afford now, and upgrade as parts break or as your use of the rifle changes.

Of course, with the way availability is now, you may be limited to buying what you can find, instead of what you want. [sad2]

You don't want to spend money on a colt pre-ban if you intend to modify it. You buy a pre-ban colt to have a preban colt. You buy other prebans and then modify those, but preban colts are usually finicky with other parts starting with the uppers (pivot pin is 1.5x the normal size) and working out from there.

If you want a precision, long-range, "varmint" or "sniper" style rifle, then I'd say go with the Ban setup with a bull barrel and fixed stock.

If you want a tacti-cool, M4 carbine setup then you need the pre-ban for the flash and collapsible stock.

Sadly, at this point if I were you I'd buy whatever I can find first. [sad]

Technically, if I understand the question you're asking correctly, it should probably be rephrased as "Preban or ban-compliant AR."

I built my first AR as a ban-compliant one, back when that was important everywhere. When the ban expired, the only thing I was in a rush to replace/add was an adjustable stock. For my money, there's huge utility there, so I swapped it out immediately. The bayo lug holds no real appeal for me, and I was happy with my existing muzzle device, so the whole threaded barrel/flash hider was a non-issue for me. These days there are even more ban-compliant muzzle choices, so it would be even less of an issue. It does limit my suppressor options on that weapon, but that won't bring the Earth to a halt.

Decide what (if any) evil features you can't live without, and assign a dollar value of what they're worth to you (because they will cost more money), and decide from there.

There is a wealth of good info posted above on Colt-specific choices.

This is, of course, assuming you can find one. I was in FS the other day and I told them I was gonna be looking for an AR. He said, "yeah, you and everyone else." Not that this is news, but I'm just not sure how to go about finding one. I was thinking about ordering one from Bushmaster direct and just waiting it out, but I'm not sure if thats the best way to go... Where else can I look?

Zero Hour always has ARs in stock... and I nice selection of brands too.

I know eveyone is on the ARs are out kick, but I can't think of a time in the last 3 months that I have been in there and he hasn't has at least 4 of them hanging on the walls.

Another option is to buy a post ban model (assuming you can find one) and have it gunsmithed in such as way to appear to be pre-ban. It is far cheaper route to go. I went that way and am very pleased. This started it's life as a Ban Model Bushmaster.
DSC00005.jpg
DSC00003-2.jpg

This is, of course, assuming you can find one. I was in FS the other day and I told them I was gonna be looking for an AR. He said, "yeah, you and everyone else." Not that this is news, but I'm just not sure how to go about finding one. I was thinking about ordering one from Bushmaster direct and just waiting it out, but I'm not sure if thats the best way to go... Where else can I look?

I put a cash deposit down on an AR at FS last week. It's the only way I am confident I'll see one any time soon.............

Zero Hour always has ARs in stock... and I nice selection of brands too.

I know eveyone is on the ARs are out kick, but I can't think of a time in the last 3 months that I have been in there and he hasn't has at least 4 of them hanging on the walls.

I was wondering this too,I see them in stock everywhere I visit.Someone else told me it was a "mass" thing do to lack compliant ones available.It's the ammo for it I'm having a tough time finding...(for a decent price)[wink]

Back
Top Bottom