• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prep of The Day Thread

I grabbed a couple of 2500gram Cans of PEAK Powdered Whole Milk and it is incredible. (also available in 400 & 900 gram cans)

I can increase the ratio of Powder to Water and it is thick like cream and great in coffee. At 3 tablespoons to 3/4 cup of water it tastes just like store-bought whole milk.
2 years out on the "Best By" date and this is an excellent option for shelf-stable dairy product. No soy in this either...

There are even youTube videos that show how to make cheese with it.

"Be Prepared"... ~Enbloc

910iG0iH4VL._SL1500_.jpg
81ySN9V1JSL._SL1500_.jpg

91VC0pl+7sL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I grabbed a couple of 2500gram Cans of PEAK Powdered Whole Milk and it is incredible. (also available in 400 & 900 gram cans)

I can increase the ratio of Powder to Water and it is thick like cream and great in coffee. At 3 tablespoons to 3/4 cup of water it tastes just like store-bought whole milk.
2 years out on the "Best By" date and this is an excellent option for shelf-stable dairy product. No soy in this either...

"Be Prepared"... ~Enbloc

910iG0iH4VL._SL1500_.jpg
81ySN9V1JSL._SL1500_.jpg

91VC0pl+7sL._SL1500_.jpg

Did you just grab it from Hamazon.

"Be Prepared"... ~Enbloc

910iG0iH4VL._SL1500_.jpg
81ySN9V1JSL._SL1500_.jpg

91VC0pl+7sL._SL1500_.jpg

At the beginning of covid lockdowns this stuff sold out immediately and spiked to over $100 for the 2500G can.

Amazon shows $62 now, this is a good one to stock up on

I've been using powdered milk a lot lately in recipes. I don't drink milk so it's great to keep on hand. What I've found locally has been nonfat, which isn't ideal, but it works. I need a better source for powdered buttermilk because I use that for biscuits and it's way better than real buttermilk.

I like this best. I've tried a few others but I liked this one the best. I was getting it for about $4/can locally, and online it's absurdly expensive.

Zw

At the beginning of covid lockdowns this stuff sold out immediately and spiked to over $100 for the 2500G can.

They have the rich and creamy for $55. Seems to be same nutritional value. Anyone have experience with that one? I also keep some of that "boxed" milk on hand too. Not as long of a shelf life but handy.

They have the rich and creamy for $55. Seems to be same nutritional value. Anyone have experience with that one? I also keep some of that "boxed" milk on hand too. Not as long of a shelf life but handy.
Maybe this belongs in the confirmed shelf life thread but I had an ancient opened box of powdered milk that I used up this summer. Just fine and dandy.

image.jpg I have a few 822 gram cans of Auguson Farms nonfat with an expiration date of September, 2041. I guess it’s easier to preserve the nonfat. It’s enriched. The taste is like 2% when mixed their way.

I just got 2 cans for $107. Within 3 days it is now $110.40. ($55.20/can)

They wrapped it in bubble wrap and shipped in a strong box with "Fragile Glass" stickers all over it. Cans were perfect. Which is very important for the shelf life of vacuum-packed
powdered dairy. Just ordered 2 more as I can only see prices going much higher in the coming months.

Amazon product ASIN B000R5MZW4View: https://www.amazon.com/Peak-Whole-Milk-Creamy-2500g/dp/B000R5MZW4/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2DWFD0EM88CDT&keywords=Peak+2500g+milk&qid=1636395925&qsid=131-8051957-4735155&sprefix=peak+2500g+milk%2Caps%2C89&sr=8-2&sres=B00HZNBM7K%2CB000R5MZW4%2CB004K0862K%2CB08LDVFFT4%2CB011EM6Q2S%2CB008XF8WKO%2CB0849WVLTD%2CB008OMJDY0%2CB00FRFRZF6%2CB01KTMGXCW%2CB013P7XS62%2CB00ZRWBS7K%2CB0888Y7MWB%2CB00ED43AGU%2CB014ANK3PY%2CB004K69OMU%2CB0789243DN%2CB08QVDZJ18%2CB074CLQJPB%2CB003U4Y0RC&srpt=DAIRY_BASED_DRINK

View attachment 540507I have a few 822 gram cans of Auguson Farms nonfat with an expiration date of September, 2041. I guess it’s easier to preserve the nonfat. It’s enriched. The taste is like 2% when mixed their way.
What the hell is going on with the size of that container? 822g makes no sense. 29 oz makes no sense. 1 lb 13 oz makes no sense. 9 3/4 quarts makes no sense.

/epic rant [wink]

This is what I have. I was all prepared to say "I have a whole milk version that tastes really good" but A. it's not whole milk and B. I haven't even opened it yet.

Does whole milk go rancid? I've had a few different kinds and they're always non-fat. I was wondering if that kept longer on the shelf.

22 quarts for $17 isn't horrible, and I'm pretty sure I had a $3 coupon when I bought it. If I was buying real milk that would be expensive, but I'd also be buying shitloads of cereal to use it up, so that would raise the price and cause me to be fat.

1636396472717.png

The 2500g cans I bought were labeled "Rich & Creamy" and is pictured in my post above. It is, indeed Rich & Creamy!

This is what I have. I was all prepared to say "I have a whole milk version that tastes really good" but A. it's not whole milk and B. I haven't even opened it yet.

Does whole milk go rancid? I've had a few different kinds and they're always non-fat. I was wondering if that kept longer on the shelf.

22 quarts for $17 isn't horrible, and I'm pretty sure I had a $3 coupon when I bought it. If I was buying real milk that would be expensive, but I'd also be buying shitloads of cereal to use it up, so that would raise the price and cause me to be fat.

View attachment 540512

I have one of these around too. The non fat will stay longer, the more fat there is in something when freeze dried the faster it will go rancid. At least that's what I understand.

It’s like you guys read my mind. Or I went on a rant about powdered milk the other day.

I hate how milk spoils. And also what it does to me… I want to get a freeze dried ice cream sandwich. I’m just trying to avoid the panic shits these days. Sucks when you can’t run

View attachment 540512
fat oxidation is closely related to rancidity.

I bought one of these and it makes 1 quart of whole milk. Mine came in clear with black top. It has a strainer and a shaker ball. (like those protein powder shakes.
Fits perfectly in my fridge door.

Works well and I consume it before it even gets close to going bad. Zero waste makes it cost effective...

56a23532-c7b5-49b7-b683-317ca5c4044e_1.9f909cb03f63641abc836584d95e9bf8.jpeg

I bought one of these and it makes 1 quart of whole milk. Mine came in clear with black top. It has a strainer and a shaker ball. (like those protein powder shakes.
Fits perfectly in my fridge door.

Works well and I consume it before it even gets close to going bad. Zero waste makes it cost effective...

56a23532-c7b5-49b7-b683-317ca5c4044e_1.9f909cb03f63641abc836584d95e9bf8.jpeg
How does it taste after you "reconstitute" it?

How does it taste after you "reconstitute" it?
Honestly? I can not tell the difference between the mix and real milk. My family all agreed it is the "most like real milk" tasting/looking out of the different brands I've tried.

The next best is Nido by Nestle... but if that is a 7/10 the Peak is a solid 9/10.

10/10 being fresh store Hood or Garelick Farms...

I mix it before bed and let it "bloom" over night. It's Pissah!

Honestly? I can not tell the difference between the mix and real milk. My family all agreed it is the "most like real milk" tasting/looking out of the different brands I've tried.

The next best is Nido by Nestle... but if that is a 7/10 the Peak is a solid 9/10.

10/10 being fresh store Hood or Garelick Farms...

I mix it before bed and let it "bloom" over night. It's Pissah!

As much as I can't stand Europe, for food standards the stuff that comes out of there is significantly better.

When my first was born I started researching formula when we were getting close to making the switch. I couldn't believe all the crap they put in kids formula here and then market it as "brain boosting". My cousin was feeding their kid similac and the first two ingredients were sugar and high fructose corn syrup.

So I found out about Hipp and Holle, both German formulas that are waaaaaay better. They were just kinda breaking into the US, even now I have to buy it on Ebay as it's kinda a under the table thing to get the formula.

No wonder our country is so fat, start them when their babies getting addicted to sugar and fake ingredients.

Prepping NOTE to Parents of infants:
While not a full substitute for powdered baby formula, powdered WHOLE milk can stretch your supplies in an emergency and when transitioning off formula...

Haha I just bought 10 boxes of the Hipp formula I mentioned in the prior post. I'm trying to be proactive since the manufactured shortages are being shoved down our throats.

"Be Prepared"... ~Enbloc

910iG0iH4VL._SL1500_.jpg
81ySN9V1JSL._SL1500_.jpg

91VC0pl+7sL._SL1500_.jpg
I believe that this has soy lecithin in it.

Back
Top Bottom