• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prep of The Day Thread

What’s the shelf life on the powdered milk? Never bought it but seems pretty good to have on hand considering my wife bakes a ton could have her try some.

I ordered a Mr. Heater BigBuddy propane heater for emergency backup. Paid $117.93 after tax (+ free shipping)

I also ordered an adapter to refill the 1lb camping propane tanks from the 20lb BBQ grill tanks.

GasOne 50180R Red QCC Tanks & Fits 20lb Tank rv Refills 1lb Propane Adapter Amazon product ASIN B095QJVF35View: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B095QJVF35/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_RSDPM1RDAHXA4MW6E30H?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I believe that this has soy lecithin in it.
You could be right. I found this label, but it only says "lecithin"...
Is soy the only source of lecithin?

51wIMggiJBL.jpg

I also found this:

Does milk contain lecithin?

Eggs, cheese, yoghurt, milk and other dairy products are also healthy sources of lecithin and many other useful nutrients.

Here's the label for Nido, which states "Soy Lecithin" as an ingredient. (as well a few other sulfates...)

0002800015439_C

Last edited:
What’s the shelf life on the powdered milk? Never bought it but seems pretty good to have on hand considering my wife bakes a ton could have her try some.
I've seen as short as 2 years (whole powdered milk) to 5 (non-fat powdered milk)

I have found that the date on the Peak whole powdered is a "Best By" date.
A couple of posts said they had tried it with no significant reduction of flavor (a couple of months to a year past that date.) Nutrition value loss undetermined.

I ordered a Mr. Heater BigBuddy propane heater for emergency backup. Paid $117.93 after tax (+ free shipping)

I also ordered an adapter to refill the 1lb camping propane tanks from the 20lb BBQ grill tanks.

GasOne 50180R Red QCC Tanks & Fits 20lb Tank rv Refills 1lb Propane Adapter Amazon product ASIN B095QJVF35View: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B095QJVF35/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_RSDPM1RDAHXA4MW6E30H?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I just use mine yesterday. I’m not sure which one you bought but there’s one that’s only for sale in Massachusetts and California. I think it’s like a $20 difference the only difference is in the manual it says don’t use it inside so I guess you’re good and the rest of the states just not Massachusetts California. Thing works amazing

Those adapters are a little Squirrley. I have a bunch of them the issue is you need to heat the 20 pound tank and chill a little thing for us to work never been a fan to put a propane tanks in my refrigerator …
Getting the hose and running it off a 20 pound tank is the way to go. But those little things will get you by in a pinch

Those adapters are a little Squirrley. I have a bunch of them the issue is you need to heat the 20 pound tank and chill a little thing for us to work never been a fan to put a propane tanks in my refrigerator …
Getting the hose and running it off a 20 pound tank is the way to go. But those little things will get you by in a pinch

…interesting…I bought the adapter just as a back-up prep. I don’t ever really plan to use it, but better to have an not need…

I read online before purchasing that they use to have a fan in them and the MA version didn't, but apparently all new models do not have the fan, they all have an oxygen sensor and all have a tip-over sensor. Apparently the only difference is the MA version comes with extra warnings.

🙄

…interesting…I bought the adapter just as a back-up prep. I don’t ever really plan to use it, but better to have an not need…

I read online before purchasing that they use to have a fan in them and the MA version didn't, but apparently all new models do not have the fan, they all have an oxygen sensor and all have a tip-over sensor. Apparently the only difference is the MA version comes with extra warnings.

🙄
They all have a tip over sensor and it works. There’s also a low oxygen sensor..I’ve sealed myself in the cap on my truck a few times with it..

I typically only refill the 1 pound tanks for use in my brass annealer…It works just not that well

I must really be getting old because that adapter cost you 799? I’ve got a pile of them that I only paid $.50 for..Makes me wonder what the 1 pound Coleman tanks cost these days. It’s definitely a slick unit. Being cold sucks

Is "soy lecithin" bad?
I honestly don’t even know what it is, or if someone who is trying to avoid soy for whatever reason should treat it as having soy. I know that it’s used In almost everything, including any milk chocolate that you buy in a store.

You could be right. I found this label, but it only says "lecithin"...
Is soy the only source of lecithin?

51wIMggiJBL.jpg

I also found this:

Here's the label for Nido, which states "Soy Lecithin" as an ingredient. (as well a few other sulfates...)

0002800015439_C
I knew I saw it somewhere. It’s on the ingredients list on peak which is sort of hidden in plain sight on the back after “Instant Dry Whole Milk Powder.”

1636449475169.jpeg

I wish I paid closer attention but I think mine expired about 10 years ago and the package was open. It didn't smell, didn't taste funny, and I used it for me only and it didn't kill me. It was nonfat which I'm theorizing matters. The bag I bought a week or so ago says best by April 14, 2023 - about 18 months.

I also don't remember what I used it for, but I'd guess baking. So maybe that kept me from poisoning myself.

I learned from making buttermilk biscuits that it's best to mix the powder in with the dry ingredients, then add water. The only exception is when I make a Dutch Baby, which makes a batter not a dough, and I don't want the powder clumping to the sides of my blender. I should probably try and add it dry; it would save one dirty dish.

Bishops Storehouse, 27oz, $5.50, 20 years, Ingredients: Nonfat dry milk, vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D3. Contains Milk. 7 qts approx

There is a lot of good long term storage food there and all the packing/preserving issues are taken care of, tough to beat.

Bishops Storehouse, 27oz, $5.50, 20 years, Ingredients: Nonfat dry milk, vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D3. Contains Milk. 7 qts approx

There is a lot of good long term storage food there and all the packing/preserving issues are taken care of, tough to beat.

That’s basically like an LDS cannery right?Is there one around here?

https://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/st...839595_10557_3074457345616706370_-1_N_image_0

Bishop’s Storehouse

231 Brooks St., Worcester, MA 01606
View GoogleMap

[email protected]
Phone: (508) 340-4945

Hours of Operation
Order filing: Thursdays & Saturdays 9AM to Noon
Home Storage Center: Thursdays & Saturdays 9AM to Noon

Found this info for guys interested in going there..

Doing the math on some of these items, it's expensive. Did the prices go up?
It sure beats mountain house prices but, beans $45, white rice $40.. $45 for a case of sugar? You can buy 30lbs of sugar at walmart for $11.26. Granted its not canned but a bucket, mylar and O2 absorber is much more economical. Especially if your trying to build up millions of calories for the family.

Yes, but no more cannery, I guess Obama got rid of those. I have been many times. last year supplies were thin, I haven't been as much this year but it has been better. About a mile off 190 north, good people. Thursday and Saturday 9-12

Are these the ones you use with blow torches? I have maybe 8 of those, all not quite empty.

I also Have an old grill tank 3/4 full with the smaller valve opening.

Lordy, I remember when 'Maura' made those illegal to purchase in MA. Of course NES has a thread somewhere on it.

Amazon product ASIN B002G51BZUView: https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F232000-Indoor-Safe-Portable/dp/B002G51BZU/ref=pd_bxgy_img_1/141-7687905-5795461?pd_rd_w=x3Hbq&pf_rd_p=c64372fa-c41c-422e-990d-9e034f73989b&pf_rd_r=5BH39H6A5F8HRRS368P6&pd_rd_r=c2ffe9bf-589c-4dab-8a0f-8ad3d9a07089&pd_rd_wg=g5rpK&pd_rd_i=B002G51BZU&psc=1

With the Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS) and accidental tip-over safety shut-off you can be sure that you will enjoy years of comfortable indoor safe heat.*WE ARE NOT ABLE TO SELL THIS PRODUCT TO CANADA AND MASSACHUSETTS* **Please note when operating the heater at altitudes over 7,000 FT above sea level the heater may shut off. Use- Emergency Heat, Tents, Campers, Workshops, Job Sites, Porches, Patios, Decks, Garages, Storage Buildings, Picnics, Tailgate Parties, Construction Trailers, Sporting Events, Barns, Sheds, Hunting Blinds, Shelters, Ice Fishing Shanties

I bought a 6 pack of cloth diapers for my 8 month old Granddaughter. They are nothing like the cloth diapers my Mom used back in the 50's. They are form fitted and they use snaps instead of pins, one size fits all. Liquid proof outside, and they come with absorbent replaceable pads on the inside. My Mom would have loved these.

My Daughter uses disposable diapers on my Granddaughter, but I thought that these might come in handy in case of supply chain break downs or a run on diapers, similar to what we saw last year with toilet paper.

I bought a 6 pack of cloth diapers for my 8 month old Granddaughter. They are nothing like the cloth diapers my Mom used back in the 50's. They are form fitted and they use snaps instead of pins, one size fits all. Liquid proof outside, and they come with absorbent replaceable pads on the inside. My Mom would have loved these.

My Daughter uses disposable diapers on my Granddaughter, but I thought that these might come in handy in case of supply chain break downs or a run on diapers, similar to what we saw last year with toilet paper.

We have and use these.

Make sure you get some of the liners too. Makes disposal of the poopies much easier.

Just received some powdered whole eggs. These reviewed well (with the occasional nut-bag reply)

The seller is the processer and states that these will hold for up to 36 months if stored correctly. 18 months once bag is opened... 😳

Whole Powdered Eggs, 2-Pack, 4 Pounds (64oz), BEST PRICES AND FRESHEST EGGS!, Camping, Emergency, Survival, 140 Large Eggs, Farm Fresh From Iowa, RESEALABLE POUCH​

Reviewers say excellent for cooking and baking.

Amazon product ASIN B08R6JDZ8WView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R6JDZ8W/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

81JYIarV88S._SL1500_.jpg

71WL3C-p8qS._SL1500_.jpg

71f1GZEE7KL._SL1390_.jpg

Last edited:
I just got a few more cans of the Auguson Farms milk, some of the potato shreds, and more butter powder. I buy their stuff to round out my other supplies, like the Mountain House meals and so forth.

It also occurred to me that an overlooked prep would be shoelaces. Talk about a high replacement item.

Back
Top Bottom