• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prep of The Day Thread

Got the next batch of chickens out in the yard - 52 here. This plus the first batch should give me all the chicken, probably about half the total meat, the family will need for the year. Chicken from the first batch is fantastic. My mom thought we were crazy for doing this. But after she came over for dinner all she said was it was the best chicken she ever had.

In terms of prepping though, this really isn’t the best option. I am wholly reliant on agway for chicken feed. And on chicken suppliers for the chicks. After getting into this a bit I realize that in spite of what the crazies say, the most sustainable meat is beef. They eat the grass that just grows off sunlight, you get your own replacements easily, and milk as a byproduct. I just don’t have the space for them. I hope to at least try growing my own grain for the chickens.

0E803DD5-06B3-4ECE-92BA-5717A12FF003.jpeg

So you cant just let chicken graze in the yard eating bugs and plants?
The Cornish cross get to 7-8 lbs live weight in about 8 weeks. They eat a lot. I also have some red rangers in this batch that should get there in about 12 weeks. They will supposedly forage a bit, but I don’t think enough. I would love to experiment with heritage breeds, but something like a Rhode Island Red only gets to ~5 lbs in about 28 weeks. Even then I’m not sure they could live on just the natural plants and bugs here. But I could probably cultivate what they need. I also have a lot of hawks here so I don’t think the chickens would last if they were completely free range. I move them daily but keep them fenced with their shelter.

Last edited:
The Cornish cross get to 7-8 lbs live weight in about 8 weeks. They eat a lot. I also have some red rangers in this batch that should get there in about 12 weeks. They will supposedly forage a bit, but I don’t think enough. I would love to experiment with heritage breeds, but something like a Rhode Island Red only gets to ~5 lbs in about 28 weeks. Even then I’m not sure they could live on just the natural plants and bugs here. But I could probably curate what they need. I also have a lot of hawks here so I don’t think the chickens would last if they were completely free range. I move them daily but keep them fenced with their shelter.
This.
I’ve raised meat birds for decades. They need a lot of grain. We bred them to grow fast. If you don’t kill them by 14 weeks or so, they can’t stand and have heart attacks.

They’re delicious.

Yes egg layers. I store eggs or give them to my neighbors, who usually give items from their garden.

If you want a mulripurpose egg layer that yields a decent amount of meat when culled, get Brahma or Barred Rock.
We have Rhode Island Red, barred rock, and leghorns for layers now. I don’t think we have ever had any Brahma so I might look into that. It’s amazing how scrawny the leghorns are. I think they are actually the best layers, but I’m not going to bother butchering them when they stop.

A neighbor stopped by last week and he ended up telling me about his daughter’s chickens. She just had some for herself and shared the eggs all around. Somehow some got to a chef at a nice restaurant and now they sell all their extra eggs to the restaurant. Neighbor said she just bought a bunch more chickens because the restaurant wants to get all their eggs from her.

We have Rhode Island Red, barred rock, and leghorns for layers now. I don’t think we have ever had any Brahma so I might look into that. It’s amazing how scrawny the leghorns are. I think they are actually the best layers, but I’m not going to bother butchering them when they stop.

A neighbor stopped by last week and he ended up telling me about his daughter’s chickens. She just had some for herself and shared the eggs all around. Somehow some got to a chef at a nice restaurant and now they sell all their extra eggs to the restaurant. Neighbor said she just bought a bunch more chickens because the restaurant wants to get all their eggs from her.
You’re not going to want to eat a three year old bird.

Dual purpose birds are bred, hatched, and the males are culled at about twelve weeks as broilers. The hens and a rooster are allowed to live to lay eggs and create the next generation.

A three year old bird is like eating shoe leather.

I think that's a pretty strong exaggeration. If you eat any wild bird it's not going to surprise you. Obviously culling younger animals makes the meat more tender, but 3yo birds still make great dinner.

If you want tender meat, stick to a high end butcher. If you want to make yourself food independent, get a larger egg layer and cull at 2-3 years. If you open range your flock, expect to lose 20% per year to predators and hatch accordingly.

If you just want eggs, get Easter Eggers hands down. Most friendly overall breed and they put out a lot of eggs per year.

If you want to be the go to egg production guy, get production reds and cull them every 3rd winter.

the most sustainable meat is beef. They eat the grass that just grows off sunlight, you get your own replacements easily, and milk as a byproduct.
Or rabbits. We did rabbits for years as a protein. you can mow your lawn, bail the clippings, and store it for winter.
Milking rabbits is a PITA but easier than milking almonds.

Or rabbits. We did rabbits for years as a protein. you can mow your lawn, bail the clippings, and store it for winter.
Milking rabbits is a PITA but easier than milking almonds.
You’re definitely right - rabbits are pretty easy and sustainable. But did you enjoy eating them? I have only ever had wild rabbit and really didn’t enjoy it. Was the rabbit you raised good?

Not a long term plan but a SHTF solar backup. Running a freezer, fridge and two computers off this thing all day and all night. Max watts out 270 watts max in 360 watts. If I add two more panels it will be a good silent back up. Whole house solar is next. I have to get my roof done first.
IMG-0098.jpg

You’re definitely right - rabbits are pretty easy and sustainable. But did you enjoy eating them? I have only ever had wild rabbit and really didn’t enjoy it. Was the rabbit you raised good?
Yes, it was a bit different than wild rabbit but not completely so. I think the key is having a good recipe. We mostly stewed rabbit and that was for convenience. They would be dressed and quartered then frozen. Stew was the easiest way to cook it

Not a long term plan but a SHTF solar backup. Running a freezer, fridge and two computers off this thing all day and all night. Max watts out 270 watts max in 360 watts. If I add two more panels it will be a good silent back up. Whole house solar is next. I have to get my roof done first.
View attachment 649776

What size Jackery is that and what are your thoughts?

What size Jackery is that and what are your thoughts?
2000. It works as promised. A good stop gap that is also portable. But not a feasible whole house solution. The 200 watt panels have to constantly be moved for best results but its not a big problem. The biggest setback is that you can't replace the batteries.

2000. It works as promised. A good stop gap that is also portable. But not a feasible whole house solution. The 200 watt panels have to constantly be moved for best results but its not a big problem. The biggest setback is that you can't replace the batteries.
Just curious if you’ve done a test run with a full charge supporting the fridge etc you hope to run above and run time you got?

I have a Natures Generator Elite 900W solar input with dual lead acids battery setup and hoping for some similar results.

I have a FFPower 2000 watt and an Oupes 1800 solar generator. I am building a 400 watt monocrystalline solar panel system where I can change the angle both horizontally and vertically to maximize the efficiency of the system and keep the generators charged. I can expand this system at any time as needed. What I like about both of these is I can plug my fridge and chest freezer in while the batteries are solar charging as they have flow through technology and will run my essentials. By no means a permanent solution to power loss but part of a layered plan where I have generators for more power and a Bison Deep Well Hand Pump for water.

1660828525795.png

1660828694492.png

Back
Top Bottom