Prep of The Day Thread

Just curious if you’ve done a test run with a full charge supporting the fridge etc you hope to run above and run time you got?

I have a Natures Generator Elite 900W solar input with dual lead acids battery setup and hoping for some similar results.
POST 1651
Not a long term plan but a SHTF solar backup. Running a freezer, fridge and two computers off this thing all day and all night. Max watts out 270 watts max in 360 watts. If I add two more panels it will be a good silent back up. Whole house solar is next. I have to get my roof done first.

I have a FFPower 2000 watt and an Oupes 1800 solar generator. I am building a 400 watt monocrystalline solar panel system where I can change the angle both horizontally and vertically to maximize the efficiency of the system and keep the generators charged. I can expand this system at any time as needed. What I like about both of these is I can plug my fridge and chest freezer in while the batteries are solar charging as they have flow through technology and will run my essentials. By no means a permanent solution to power loss but part of a layered plan where I have generators for more power and a Bison Deep Well Hand Pump for water.

View attachment 651569

View attachment 651571
I’ve heard mixed reviews on the bison hand pump. Have you tried it out yet?

I’ve heard mixed reviews on the bison hand pump. Have you tried it out yet?

I haven't installed it yet as where I am may not be permanent. I chose the Bison pump as I prefer the stainless steel lift rod rather than the fiberglass lift rod of the Simple Pump. If I install it I will post pictures and personal results.

Last edited:
View attachment 654223 Did some "canning" the other day. :)
My recipe per can was 2 cleaned and lubed, vacuum sealed AR carbine halves w/ slings per can, 6 triple mag pouches with loaded mags, 2 200rd vacuum sealed battle packs Malaysian 5.56, 2 bore snakes, 2 small bottles of CLP, 2 desiccant packs. Did 3 cans, Serves 6.

Representative photo of the cans above. They're 120mm mortar cans that were bought a few years ago for under $20 each and free shipping. Like new condition.
That should get you started for your party of 6.

Never thought about having one of these until today:

TL Tooluxe 50002L Universal Heavy Duty Tire Repair Kit | 35 Piece | Repair Punctures and Plug Flats​

Amazon product ASIN B002I52RG0View: https://smile.amazon.com/Tooluxe-50002L-Universal-Punctures-Motorcycles/dp/B002I52RG0/ref=lp_12305226011_1_2?th=1

I have one of these in every vehicle. I used one this morning in fact. Went out to car to drive to work, found I had low pressure warning, found a piece of copper wire stuck in a lug. Tire fixed in less than 2min. Ive driven about 500,000 miles for work. I've had those plugs last 30k in a tire till I had the tires replaced due to wear.

Freeze dried 5 dozen fresh eggs
And yes Moe crapped on my work planner

Attachments

• EF272419-5346-493E-900C-37B970072DCC.jpeg
    EF272419-5346-493E-900C-37B970072DCC.jpeg
    838.9 KB · Views: 12
  • F0CCAF9C-7A7C-4D08-8EBE-667557D8AE01.jpeg
    F0CCAF9C-7A7C-4D08-8EBE-667557D8AE01.jpeg
    464.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 51B28B08-2461-465D-AEEE-3DB038154D57.jpeg
    51B28B08-2461-465D-AEEE-3DB038154D57.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 3C0D08AB-8069-4A34-AEAF-67B3F5DC7419.jpeg
    3C0D08AB-8069-4A34-AEAF-67B3F5DC7419.jpeg
    537.4 KB · Views: 12
  • F3B569E2-4B9B-42BE-995B-FA5DF6933D74.jpeg
    F3B569E2-4B9B-42BE-995B-FA5DF6933D74.jpeg
    592.1 KB · Views: 12
Problem with open water as the primary plan is that's everyone else's plan also, as you know you are face down filling water jugs ( daily ) and exposing yourself. Plus what will happen even after a weeks time with no water from the taps, everyone will be bathing in it, finding anything that looks like an easy shore line to gain access and fighting for "water rights".

I live with a large lake just across the street from me, I have beach rights there to, but that body of water is a back up plan only till the masses die down. For the first few weeks I have 250ish gallons of water in 35 gallon toots and bottle water. I also have a shallow well on a the property which was dry a few weeks ago but now has water.

Back up plan is just get the gen set running and pump up from my deep well, but with gas being in short supply it will only run when needed.

Last edited:
Problem with open water as the primary plan is that's everyone else's plan also, as you know you are face down filling water jugs ( daily ) and exposing yourself. Plus what will happen even after a weeks time with no water from the taps, everyone will be bathing in it, finding anything that looks like an easy shore line to gain access and fighting for "water rights".

I live with a large lake just across the street from, I have beach rights there to, but that body of water is aback up plan only till the masses die down. For the first few weeks I have 250ish gallons of water in 35 gallon toots and bottle water. I also have a shallow well on a the property which was dry a few weeks ago but now has water.

Back up plan is just get the gen set running and pump up from my deep well, but with gas being in short supply it will only run when needed.
Not to mention all the sh1t and piss in the water by day three.

I live with a large lake just across the street from, I have beach rights there to, but that body of water is aback up plan only till the masses die down. For the first few weeks I have 250ish gallons of water in 35 gallon toots and bottle water. I also have a shallow well on a the property which was dry a few weeks ago but now has water.

This is why you develop cooperation among the locals who will be using it.
All the people who live around that open water source need to understand the potential hygiene hazards and abide by a couple of simple rules......don't piss and shit or bathe in the water you and they will be drinking. It is for their benefit as well as for everyone else using it, and you enforce those rules using the Rule of 7.62 if necessary.

This is why you develop cooperation among the locals who will be using it.
All the people who live around that open water source need to understand the potential hygiene hazards and abide by a couple of simple rules......don't piss and shit or bathe in the water you and they will be drinking. It is for their benefit as well as for everyone else using it, and you enforce those rules using the Rule of 7.62 if necessary.

Locals will not be the only people flocking to open water when it gets to that point. Finding folks who are willing to use your rule 7.62 may be more difficult than you think. Hell, you may become a target just for suggesting such a rule.

Locals will not be the only people flocking to open water when it gets to that point. Finding folks who are willing to use your rule 7.62 may be more difficult than you think. Hell, you may become a target just for suggesting such a rule.
Hahahah.....we've got people still walking around with masks on, driving alone in their cars with masks on against a virus. :rolleyes:

You post some signs that say the water is CONTAMINATED DO NOT BATHE IN OR DRINK and control access and you can rest assured people will abide by them. People are generally clueless and rely on being told what and what not to do.

There will be plenty of people willing to protect their local resources.

Hahahah.....we've got people still walking around with masks on, driving alone in their cars with masks on against a virus. :rolleyes:

You post some signs that say the water is CONTAMINATED DO NOT BATHE IN OR DRINK and control access and you can rest assured people will abide by them. People are generally clueless and rely on being told what and what not to do.

There will be plenty of people willing to protect their local resources.

You think those will not be the same people calling in popo because they saw a man with a gun at the local swimming hole? How exactly do you plan to control access?

Hahaha be upon you, my friend. Best of luck controlling access to a public body of water because that is your plan for drinking water.

I'd call in reinforcements myself if I came across such a situation. And I'd laugh my arse off the whole time.

You think those will not be the same people calling in popo because they saw a man with a gun at the local swimming hole? How exactly do you plan to control access?

Hahaha be upon you, my friend. Best of luck controlling access to a public body of water because that is your plan for drinking water.

I'd call in reinforcements myself if I came across such a situation. And I'd laugh my arse off the whole time.

Evidently you think there will be popo around in SHTF. [rofl] [rofl] Get a grip, they'll be the first people in society to completely disappear from the public.

Lots of old scores get settled in chaotic times and the popo aren't going to be sticking around tending to other people's problems, they'll be tending to their own problems.

Learn and understand this now : NOBODY IS COMING TO SAVE YOU IN HARD TIMES. The more thoroughly you understand that the better off you will be when push comes to shove.

Your "normalcy bias" is going to shorten your life expectancy in hard times. You can't even think past not having 911 to call.

What are you doing for water storage? I have a stream but it is dry right now. You need at least 1 gallon per day per person or pet. I have at present 15 of these 5 gallon containers.
Like this. Amazon product ASIN B06ZZGWCW9View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZGWCW9?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
and a 55 gallon rain barrel.
~250 gallons purified, treated and stored in these 5 gallon containers. They’re great.

That’s enough to get me started if needed and I have a fresh water body 10 min walk away.

Got some food grade plastic collapsible water containers and a giant luggable buggy (3 seasons, big sled for winter) to haul it back, a few 10 gallon stainless steel lobster pots and steel fire pits for boiling the water, a good supply of ZeroWater filters and jugs to filter the water after boiled (removes everything including radioactive particles, shoukd the need arise).

Also got a good supply of water purification drops just in case.

For wood to heat the water boilers, got a Milwaukee battery powered chainsaw, a good supply of chainsaw oil, spare chsins, blade sharpeners, and a 900W solar generator to charge the chainsaw batteries.

Also got an electric hydraulic wood splitter because, I’d need a lot of wood I suppose. It would run off the solar generator lead acid battery storage system w/inverter (30A).

If the chainsaw dies, got a few top notch axes, log saw and a big steel wood splitter wedge.

Got fireplace indoor converted to gas logs but installed two 18 inch steel cast iron pot cranes and a fireplace gas shutoff valve in the basement, and a brass quick gas decoupler to be able to quickly convert the fireplace back to wood in 10 min flat, pulling out all the gas log gear to allow wood fire high heat. The fireplace would provide heat and cooking w/full set of cast iron cookware I have seasoned and stashed away.

But water is by far the most overlooked SHTF resource. You need a fresh supply to start and a way to haul and purify a continuous supply.

Without it you die in 3 days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom