Prep of The Day Thread

Cleaning out the freezer to make room for the next batch of chickens. Taking the carcasses from the last batch to can some stock. This is a 15 gallon pot.

3332BB57-C18A-48D2-AE62-B8C3F0A55AC0.jpeg

Also for some more traditional prepping I set an appointment with a lawyer for estate planning, healthcare proxy, etc. Also setting up a NFA trust that will lead to some more peeps in the future.

Ordered 2 spare water pumps for my generators and 4 string trimmer carburetors.

The carbs come with 2 air filters, 1 sparkplug, 2 primer bulbs, 2 lengths of fuel line, fuel filter and gaskets. How can anyone not keep a couple of these on hand?

1664056956427.png <<<<All for $15.00 and free shipping.

Got the new concrete board panel up for mounting inverters, busbars and fuses. This panel looks like it's attached to the shelves, but it's free standing on its own steel legs and I left a small gap between for airflow. The batteries have Bluetooth BMS so they don't need ready access as I will be able to see the status of each cell from my phone with alerts.

Expecting good weather this weekend to hopefully finish mounting all the panels outside. Then it's on to making cables to connect everything.

I saw the $5 mag post in deal of the day thread and badly wanted to buy another box of 100, but I just bought #4 wire for the AC side of this project and the wallet can't take more daily prepping this week 🤣

20221002_163443.jpg

Got the new concrete board panel up for mounting inverters, busbars and fuses. This panel looks like it's attached to the shelves, but it's free standing on its own steel legs and I left a small gap between for airflow. The batteries have Bluetooth BMS so they don't need ready access as I will be able to see the status of each cell from my phone with alerts.

Expecting good weather this weekend to hopefully finish mounting all the panels outside. Then it's on to making cables to connect everything.

I saw the $5 mag post in deal of the day thread and badly wanted to buy another box of 100, but I just bought #4 wire for the AC side of this project and the wallet can't take more daily prepping this week 🤣

View attachment 669138

Looks like maybe the first shelf, or maybe first two, of batteries are behind that panel. If so, how do you plan to account for maintenance when required?

Nice project, appreciate you keeping us updated.

I got a friend who raises qual and she had/has an over abundance of hens she needed to move.
So for a dollar a bird I got 50. I'm processing about one every 4-5 min, got 20 done so far tonight put them in the vac bags and off to the ice box.
Ended up with over 40 eggs from what I recovered inside them and what they laid overnight.

Attachments

• KIMG1729.JPG
    KIMG1729.JPG
    693.4 KB · Views: 22
  • KIMG1726.JPG
    KIMG1726.JPG
    290.3 KB · Views: 22
Looks like maybe the first shelf, or maybe first two, of batteries are behind that panel. If so, how do you plan to account for maintenance when required?

Nice project, appreciate you keeping us updated.

I have access from the other side. There is an isle and I will have removable lexan vented windows. The batteries do not have any maintenance required other than if a cell fails, but that shouldn't be for roughly 20 years at the cycle rate/depth I will be using them.

As noted I can monitor the health of each cell via Bluetooth with full cycle history.

You do realize that all that pine in those mounts is going to be junk in a couple of years right? Maybe it's the coloring of the pictures but it doesn't look like it's treated.
I was wondering the same thing, plus how are they anchored? You don’t want to find out your arrays make good sails..and get carried away in a windstorm..

Friday morning had a chat with the wifey if the "balloon goes up" e.g. B2s in the air, boomers leaving their bases and/or Russian embassies burning documents.
Yeah that was a rough but necessary conversation.
Set the expectation that we'd be living entirely in the basement for at least two weeks and had some good realizations about hygiene supplies and the need for more buckets and also trying to figure how much warning we'd have to get the kids from school. Ooof! More to be discussed but that was enough for 6.15am pre-caffeine.

This weekend back to practicalities . . . . I run a FIFO model for food/water on the shelves but every 6 months I go through the overall inventory to double check and realized a few shortages
- mostly canned veggies and paper goods.

However I finally went through our backup meds and realized some serious gaps - kids meds with no coverage. Gotta get that rolling.

Great idea. Anyone sell one of these?

View attachment 671354
To answer my own question….why yes, yes they do.

It’s a nice fall back option for boiling water or cooking without wood, which would attract the zombies. Or just cooking while camping in the case of the portable unit. Or cutting on electrical or gas bills since inflation is out of control.

9C4E294A-1CE2-45C7-8055-9C14BE5FC489.jpeg
GDAE10 Portable Solar Cooker, 1800W 1.5m Diameter Camping Outdoor Solar Cooker for Solar Heating, Visual Education or DIY Solar Concentrator 59'' Diameter

0B536B0A-94A8-45FD-9A51-83522655BCF4.jpeg
MrMapMax Solar Oven Portable Oven-4.5L Large Capacity Solar Cooker Outdoor Oven Camping Stove with Thermometer For 2-3 People Backpacking Hiking Family Party

458A90ED-FDF4-487E-AB66-1C0392625ECB.jpeg
4Patriots Sun Kettle XL Solar Water Heater - Portable Thermos Flask Boils Water Using The Sun, For Camping, Hunting, Backpacking - Lightweight & Gas & Electricity Free - Extra-Large 33.8oz Capacity

Back
Top Bottom