• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Preparing for the Coming Influenza Pandemic

.......until it mutates. [smile]

Exactly, and if you read in that PDF it explains how that will happen, and the larger danger that there is one strain of it out there, that is resistant to known cures. Once the virus mutates, if it happens to mutate with that resistant strain, all the TamiFlu in the world won't save you. Also, another frightening fact, is that this particular flu is more difficult to create a vaccine for, as it keeps killing the chicken egg host that is commonly used to create all vaccines...

I'm not even remotely concerned. 322 confirmed cases world wide over 3 years. Half resulting in death. [thinking]

I look at avian flu as a relatively low potential but very high consequence threat. If it mutates we are going to be in a world of hurt. Imagine losing just 1% of the US population. That is 3 million people.

About 90% of the prepping you would do for avian flu is the same as prepping for any other potential disaster. Prepping for the rest means you are prepping for the flu by default. Add some things like good masks and other protective clothing isnt that hard or expensive.

The key to this is your ability to isolate yourself from the rest of the world. Probably the hardest part of this is financial. Can you survive a quarantine for say 3 months. If a forced quarantine occurs I am sure there will be some sort of debt relief ala Katrina. If you want to self or voluntarily quarantine yourself and family can you make it?

Back
Top Bottom