Patriot

NES Member
I have some military 30-06 brass and want to re-use it so I need to remove the
primers and swage the primer pocket. I don't feel like spending the bucks for
the Dillon machine, and I have both a drill press and an arbor press. Does
anyone know of some attachment I could buy that I could where I could use
either of these presses to do the same? TIA

TBP

The pockets dont have to be swaged. You can also cut them out. Several companies make tools to do this. You can also use a chamfering tool if you dont have a lot of cases. RCBS makes a swager that mounts to your press for short money.

Depends on the brass. HXP didn't need anything but a quick swipe with a utility knife. Even Lake City didn't need much beyond a trim with the knife. I find 5.56 mil. surplus brass much tougher to prep, especially Lake City.

This is not uncommon. I'd get some extras for depriming mil brass. You can also get a decapping die, but you would still have to resize the brass. Be on the lookout for berdan primed cases slipping in though. None of the swagers deprime.

B

I have deprimed thousands of rounds of military brass on my 550 using RCBS dies and never had a problem. I've broken pins and make sure I keep plenty of spares around. In a very rare occasion, the primer hole may be too small or off center. In that case I did bend a pin.

I've never broken a pin, but then again, I bought a Lee die. I guess it is possible to break the pin, but certainly not from a straight up and down motion. I've even hit a few pieces of berdan brass, and no breakage!

I use a Lee de-capping die for all my rifle brass - especially for brass I haven't worked before. If needed, I then use a RCBS swager die to remove the crimp, primer pocket uniformer and flashhole debur then into the tumbler. I've never broken a pin. You should be able to feel the resistance and stop cranking on the handle before you snap a pin.

I have resized/decrimped many thousands of rouns without breaking a decapping pin, something is wrong. CH Tool and Die makes a great primer pocket swager in the form of a die that works well in a single stage press, a deal at $22.

The CH unit screws into the press like a conventional die. At the top you place a shell holder for the case you are swaging. On the ram where the shell holder usually goes, you mount the swager which is a rod that extends through the die to reach the primer pocket of the case you place in the shell holder on top. Operation is simple, place a case in the shell holder, depress the operating arm until the swager enters the primer pocket and removes the crimp, lower the arm, and remove swaged case.

Back
Top Bottom