• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Private range southern NH

Hello,

I recently moved up to southern NH from MA for work. While in MA I was a member at a great range that was awesome. It had out to 200 yds, steel targets/dueling trees, no needlessly complex and overbearing rules, well maintained etc. When I moved up here I started looking for a club, most have massive wait times but I was able to find one that was accepting members so I joined. However, they do not allow steel targets to be shot, you can only shoot 1 round every second, and two people cannot be shooting at the same time. Well, recently I was there with my brother (we were the only ones there) and he was shooting my new Keltec CP33, we were just enjoying ourselves being safe and conscientious and he was shooting maybe a round every 8/10 of a second for maybe a few seconds if I had to guess? Well, some older club officer comes speeding up to the range in a truck (presumably they live nearby) gets out never introducing himself and starts berating us telling us we are "rapid firing" and we're going to get kicked out if we keep it up and we need to cut it out and that it needs to be "one one-thousand" said between every shot and then speeds away not even letting us respond. Other than this .22lr pistol, we were shooting mostly bolt actions so all the prior shots probably had 5 to 10 seconds in-between. We were in no one way being ridiculous or bothersome and were shooting very appropriately, had our badges on etc. I always clean up all my brass, take my targets down and generally treat the range with great respect. Needless to say this is not the type of club I want to be a part of as it saps the soul out of just going shooting to relax and enjoy yourself. Even in MA who we all know is far less friendly to the gun community didn't have clubs acting like this. The purpose of this post is that I am interested in reaching out to anyone in southern NH to see if they have a personal shooting range they use on their own land or know of someone who does. If so, I would be willing to pay that person every month an amount of money to use their range. Does anyone know of such a place within southern NH or is anyone willing to make some money to let me shoot on their land? :) Thanks.

This gets asked a lot here. Just look up the clubs around you and check them out. The only one I've been to for NES shoots is the Raymond one. I doubt that you will find a private range to use due to liability issues. PS. Go GREEN. Jack.

Screw clubs and fuds. We have gravel pits and nobody around to tell you not to blow up shit. Just find a pit and ask if you can shoot, most owners like guns and people who shoot them!

Name this range. Most ranges require a sponsor and have a orientation class.

Parts of that description sounds like Pelham. I always liked Pelham, but there are far too many range nazis there.
They do require a sponsor to join, but if you don’t know one, a member of the board will sponsor you. At least that was the way when I joined many years ago.
Unfortunatly, they do not post their range rules online, so prospective members have no way of knowing what is permitted and what is not until they join the club, at a cost of $300 or $400.

That range sounds a lot like Lawrence Rod & Gun right down to the old timer who has nothing better but to drive up and give you the stink eye whenever he hears someone shooting there.

I always liked Pelham, but there are far too many range nazis there.
There's two folks at Pelham that I think have "spoken to" groups shooting on every single range trip I've taken for the last sixteen months.

Ironically, at my MA club there's only been one problem in the six plus years I've been a member, and it was dealt with by regular members.

"Southern NH" is the wide part of the state, about two hours drive from the shore to Vermont, and an hour from MA to Concord. So you need to narrow it down some. As far as clubs that actively support action-sports, my first tries would be Londonderry F&G and Pioneer Sportsmen in Dunbarton.

If I ever win Powerball I might buy Monadnock, pay off the Karens and re-open it. How does one buy a ticket?

About the only thing I still like about mass, there seems to be alot of gun clubs
Down here in my area I have 10 that I can think off with in 30min drive
3 I belong to with in 15 min

I thought in NH you could blast away in any dirt pit you could find.

Why would anyone let you shoot in their gravel pit?

The bullets would mix in with the gravel.

Who would want to buy gravel mixed with bullets?

Maybe a permanent gravel pit soley for the purpose of shooting?

Lol, I’ve never had a single person speak to me about anything at Pelham in the 7 years I’ve been a member other than a few fellows just shooting the shit. Also, if you’re paying $300-$400 to Pelham annually than you’re either giving them an extra donation for no reason or paying for 2 people.

I am pretty sure that is the range I went to last year.. I liked it a lot, even better than Harvard and Harvard is one of the best.
Londonderry is a great club, they are continually improving the ranges and plans are proceeding to build a real clubhouse. Sadly there is a membership cap and very few drop out each year, so the waiting list is >500 deep at this point.

I'm not sure that the ranges at LF&GC are better than Harvard, but it's been about 5 yrs since I've been at Harvard as a guest.

Londonderry is a great club, they are continually improving the ranges and plans are proceeding to build a real clubhouse. Sadly there is a membership cap and very few drop out each year, so the waiting list is >500 deep at this point.

I'm not sure that the ranges at LF&GC are better than Harvard, but it's been about 5 yrs since I've been at Harvard as a guest.

Harvard hasn't changed much in last 5 years, except the little archery land thing set up like someone's personal playground that you need permission to use.

There are power tripping little d-bags at most ranges .
They are the the first ones to sign up to be RO's .
They have the spare time to hang out and be a thorn in everyone else's side most likely because the wife throws them out of the house so she can bang the boyfriend in peace .
WELL! That was hurtful. And the wife stopped hiding the boyfiend years ago.

I recently joined Pelham and the two guys who ran the “introductory tour” definitely seem like the type to harass people just because they shoot a different type of gun.

They were blaming wealthy people moving in and surrounding the club and complaining. So in typical fashion they cater to the new home owner to keep the peace instead of telling them to f*** off.

That said they do have several pits for pistol shooting and some for rifle shooting. Oddly the pistol bays are strictly for pistol and no PCC allowed.

I recently joined Pelham and the two guys who ran the “introductory tour” definitely seem like the type to harass people just because they shoot a different type of gun.

They were blaming wealthy people moving in and surrounding the club and complaining. So in typical fashion they cater to the new home owner to keep the peace instead of telling them to f*** off.

That said they do have several pits for pistol shooting and some for rifle shooting. Oddly the pistol bays are strictly for pistol and no PCC allowed.

dipshits used rifles on the then new steel swinging targets they installed at the end of the pistol only range and destroyed a bunch of the brand new steel targets within mere months of being installed. a**h***s blew large holes through the entire steel frames.

Lol, I’ve never had a single person speak to me about anything at Pelham in the 7 years I’ve been a member other than a few fellows just shooting the shit. Also, if you’re paying $300-$400 to Pelham annually than you’re either giving them an extra donation for no reason or paying for 2 people.
Do you ever go to the action ranges?

Literally every range trip except for maybe one I've had going back to last year someone is walking or driving around in a truck observing/talking to people, whether I've gone on a Saturday, Sunday, or a weekday.

It wasn't like that when I joined, but since COVID hit someone in the action range is always looking to bust balls. In another thread someone even said a BoD member told him they are trying to throw out a few people each month.

No one's ever said anything to me or others near me on the utility range, pistol bays or the 200 yard range (well, once), but the action range it's like clockwork.

Do you ever go to the action ranges?

Literally every range trip except for maybe one I've had going back to last year someone is walking or driving around in a truck inspecting people, whether I've gone on a Saturday, Sunday, or a weekday.

It wasn't like that when I joined, but since COVID hit someone in the action range is always looking to bust balls.
I’ve gone to the action ranges literally hundreds of times and never once had anyone inspect me. I’ve had 2 interactions total with strangers at the action ranges; 1) was a guy driving by looking for an open range as I was leaving & I waved him in to take my range as I finished, 2) some local guy who was just asking if he could take my brass.

only other interaction I’ve ever had there was a nice gent named Wayne at the utility range and we just shot the shit.

Then you must be extremely lucky lol. In other tangential threads others have reported the same experiences I've had. Let me know the days and times you go so I can go as well.

To be clear, I'm not talking about me getting in trouble or anything, but people stopping to look at what I'm shooting, make comments, etc. I was there about two weeks ago and someone got yelled at while I was there.

By "inspection" I mean slowly driving by and/or stopping to watch what you're shooting and what you're shooting at. There's a few guys specifically I always see doing this.

I’ve seen people drive occasionally by the ranges in cars, I’ve never once seen anyone stop to surmise what I’m shooting.

I mind my own business and follow their rules, and I’d just assume that if others are doing the same & are harassed by a range warrior just tell them to fist themselves & carry on your merry way.

I’d just assume that if others are doing the same & are harassed by a range warrior just tell them to fist themselves & carry on your merry way.
The last guy I heard try to tell one of the guys off was told he'd be brought before the BoD to explain his actions if he did not leave the premises immediately lol. I don't know what he did though. Probably forgot to fill out a waiver.

The last guy I heard try to tell one of the guys off was told he'd be brought before the BoD to explain his actions if he did not leave the premises immediately lol. I don't know what he did though. Probably forgot to fill out a waiver.
Well if you’re following the rules then there’s nothing to be concerned about.

would happily go before the BoD after telling a range warrior to lick my grundel if I was following the rules.

had guests there many times without issue, & frankly nobody has ever even bothered to check lanyards to see who is member or guest

Back
Top Bottom