Product Review: Streamlight TLR-1

After much deliberation and discussion, I have decided that a rail mounted light is a good idea for a defensive pistol. I have tried a few models including an inexpensive (cheap) imported light sold by Four Seasons. (Side note: I was not satisfied with the FS light and as expected Carl apologized for any inconvenience and gave me an instant refund.) Today I mounted the Streamlight TLR-1 on my Sig 229R in .40S&W. The TLR-1 is a 3 watt LED type light that offers a very bright center spot and good peripheral lighting. I am impressed with the build quality. It is built of anodized aluminum and there is no plastic visible on the body. The mount is rock-solid and the unit did not loosen at all after 50 rounds at the range this evening. The switch is an ambidextrous rocker type that is either momentary or constant on, and is located just ahead of the trigger guard. I found it comfortable to use the index finger of my left (off) hand to momentary-on the light. This only required a slight modification of my grip and I still had good purchase on the pistol. The TLR-1 uses CR123 photo-type lithium batteries (Surefire sells packs of them for short money) and claims a run time of 2.5 hours. This is clearly the best rail type light available today. I will follow up after additional range time, adding pictures and a recommended holster.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom