PSK on iPad

Reptile

NES Member
I find this very cool.

I think I may want a Yeasu FT817ND or current equivalent.

You can buy a small device that interfaces with an iPad for texting.

Receiving Ham Radio PSK-31 on an iPad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJslXYD6-4Q

Yaesu FT817ND & KF5INZ Easy Digi interface running PSK31 on iPad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfUq5tSQ9J4

I think it is incredible that you can see active frequencies on a band scope.

Then you can start chatting.

I started on BBS's and was blown away the first time a sysop broke in and started typing on my screen.
Ever since then I was hooked on chatting on chat boards.

As a future HAM I want to do this by radio.

Can I run some sort of antenna in my attic and what distance will it reach out to other hams doing PSK?

Edit: better version of software:

PSK31
By Black Cat Systems

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/psk31/id385619882?mt=8

Using Your iPhone To Decode PSK31
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS80wTo7Z-E

AMAZING!!!

Last edited:
I have an FT-857. It's a great universal rig in a small package. I use it as my base and mobile rig. The FT-817 has essentially the same features, but it's QRP. The only reason to get an 817 is if you care about weight of the rig and battery. The 857 weighs about 2x what the 817 weighs. The 857 draws about 0.75A on receive and the 817 is about half that. Of course, if you're mainly into digital, 5W is all you need to work the world. The FT-817 is a fantastic radio that does everything but cure baldness. I love QRP operation and want to do digital while camping, so I think I've got an 817 in my future.

I am just getting in to PSK myself. With a technician license, you can listen/read PSK 31 from any band, and xmit on the 6 meter and 10 meter bands. That is one reason I got my General Class license; I have access to the lower bands to do digital. I'm going to hold off on getting my Extra Class for a bit just so I can practice on HF and get comfortable.

I use an app called fldigi. Pretty powerful application in that it does a TON of other digital modes aside from PSK. It even does Weather Fax which is where NOAA transmits a fax image of weather maps over HF. You tune to the frequency and then let the app decode the signals and in about 10 minutes or so, you will have a graphic image of the weather map. That was damn cool the first time I did that.

As for antenna, yes, you can put one up in the attic, but that will lower your distance coverage. I have a friend who has all of his antennas in his house and is still able to hit some decent DX such as central Europe and South America.

I have a crappy little 20 meter hamstick dipole. End to end, it is about 16 feet long (1/4 wavelength)...I can easily put that in my attic but I have a deck on the back of the house that I use. It is mounted to a tripod with a 10 foot mast.

I had a nice long ragchew last night with a guy in Florida. I gave him my email address and he just sent me a ton of tips on fldigi. Nice guy...John...KC3FL.

If your attic is the length of the house, you can do a 20m half wave dipole (about 33 feet) and get good reception. If you want to just receive, you can just use a beverage antenna (super long wire...literally that's all it is), but your rig should be well grounded and may even want a tuner in front...but I'm not speaking from experience here...you should Google that or ask some of the other guys how it really works.

Good luck and hope to see you in the database soon! Let us know when you pass your tech license test!!!

I have an FT-857. It's a great universal rig in a small package. I use it as my base and mobile rig. The FT-817 has essentially the same features, but it's QRP. The only reason to get an 817 is if you care about weight of the rig and battery. The 857 weighs about 2x what the 817 weighs. The 857 draws about 0.75A on receive and the 817 is about half that. Of course, if you're mainly into digital, 5W is all you need to work the world. The FT-817 is a fantastic radio that does everything but cure baldness. I love QRP operation and want to do digital while camping, so I think I've got an 817 in my future.

I've heard great things about both of those rigs. The elmer in town is a Yaesu fan boy and that's all that is allowed in his house. He bought the FT-991 last fall and has already had to send it into Yaesu for service which is a real bummer. I considered the 991, but decided against it.

I went with the Icom IC-7100. So far, I like it a lot. It does support D-Star which is very cool. It has a USB interface for PC connectivity which is huge...no need for an external box.

Back
Top Bottom