Purchasing with the new MA ID system

I haven't purchased a weapon since I renewed my LTC-A (ALP) and the local police department read my index fingerprint with a mouse-like optical device. That's great assuming all gun dealers have the state ID computer program and optical reader installed.

But somewhere along the line I remember needing a PIN along with the new system. Before I get all worked up to buy something new and then am disappointed (and embarrased) at the sales counter, can anyone tell me how the new system works, and if I need a PIN?

Thanks

When you buy a gun the MIRCS system will ask for a finger print if you have a newer license (usually your right index, but I have seen it ask for other fingers). If the system cannot read your print you can enter the pin number in its place. It is a good idea to have the number handy just in case.

Last edited:
Well, I just bought a gun (NOTE: NOT a "weapon;" a GUN) from a MIRCS-enabled dealer and I provided neither a finger nor a PIN. Took them about 15 or 20 minutes to play w/all the computerized inventory crap, but that was it.

And I don't even have the new-generation LTC.

Scrivener said:
Well, I just bought a gun (NOTE: NOT a "weapon;" a GUN) from a MIRCS-enabled dealer and I provided neither a finger nor a PIN. Took them about 15 or 20 minutes to play w/all the computerized inventory crap, but that was it.

And I don't even have the new-generation LTC.

His finger was electronically scanned with a "mouse-like optical device".
Q1. Do they do this for old licenses?

Q2. Why would you have your finger scanned if you were buying a gun with an older LTC. I can answer that one for you.

Q3. What was your point?

Scrivener,

You didn't even have to give them (CHSB) the middle finger as part of the purchase procedure? [devil]

From personal experience (both mine and my Wife's), if you don't have the new MIRCS-generated LTC, you don't do fingerprints/PINs, even if the dealer is setup that way. When/if we ever get LTCs that are smaller than a horse-blanket, then we'll be "giving them the finger" for each transaction! Use the PIN if they don't like your finger!

Can't remember if they asked me for a PIN at the time of my license renewal, or if they sent random-number PIN in the mail. Anyone know?

I can imagine the hassle if I can't remember my it. Probably have to visit PD-HQ in person, (of course, on Tuesdays only, between 10 and 11 AM) to select a new one, everyone in the licensing department laughing, first LTC-holder to have forgotten his PIN...yikes.

Crap, I think I lost my PIN! I got to see if I saved the letter and envelope.
The PIN was "issued" to me and on my letter with the permit.

LenS said:
Scrivener,

You didn't even have to give them (CHSB) the middle finger as part of the purchase procedure? [devil]

Nada. I filled out NOTHING for CHSB; the FA-10 was computer-generated. I just scribbled my "X" on the bottom.

And I did, of course, write "REFUSED" on the 4473 where it asks for the SSN...

If the system is anything like at the station, then it's going to suck.

It took over 15 min for them to get a readable scan on my finger. And I think that they did use my right middle finger.

I'm sure that I'll find out when I get the new one.

I have one of the new LTC-A's with the finger print. As luck would have it, I was buying my Remmy Model 7 from Carl at FS, and my finger print wouldn't work! (I made sure to choose my right middle finger [grin])

Of course I didn't have my PIN, because who the hell needs it, right?...Well, it would've saved a bunch of time. After trying my fingerprint about 20 times, Carl tried it himself and it didn't work, so it was the fingerprint system that was failing. I wasn't going to drive home to dig through paperwork and find my PIN, so Carl just filled out an FA-10 with me, luckily.

Back
Top Bottom