Quest for an LTC upgrade

I talked to one of the people working at Collector's Gallery in Stoneham and asked him about the Stoneham policy on ALP. He said it was the only kind of permit they issued. I thought I would try my hand at renewing/upgrading and called the Stoneham PD, I talked to a woman there who seemed to think that:
1. They cannot reprint or modify the existing license (Like a lost or stolen license)
2. They cannot let me renew or reapply for the license early, they won't even allow it to be done 3 months in advance of license expiration.
She said she was going to make some calls and find out what could be done and then call me back.

It is my hope that.
1. They can replace the license at will by reporting it as lost or stolen and ordering a replacement
2. There is nothing stopping them from not printing the restriction on the license or modifying the database so the replacement license does not have that restriction.
3. There is no restriction on when you can reapply.

Can anyone give me any information I can give to them that would convince them it can be done?

There is nothing in Chapter 180 or the regulations concerning replacement licenses I have seen that pertain to modification of the restrictions section...

I talked to one of the people working at Collector's Gallery in Stoneham and asked him about the Stoneham policy on ALP. He said it was the only kind of permit they issued. I thought I would try my hand at renewing/upgrading and called the Stoneham PD, I talked to a woman there who seemed to think that:
1. They cannot reprint or modify the existing license (Like a lost or stolen license)
2. They cannot let me renew or reapply for the license early, they won't even allow it to be done 3 months in advance of license expiration.
She said she was going to make some calls and find out what could be done and then call me back.

Rather than make some phone calls, I'd suggest that she simply knock on the Chief's door and ask, since the only reason "they can't do" any of those things would be because the Chief refuses to do so. [shocked]

Ken

I guess my question would be.... how successful are you at getting an upgrade "mid term"?

Will a department even bother? Don't you have to repay all the fees for what could potentially be the same (or god forbid a lesser) license?

It just ain't so. I have assisted many, many clients get their LTCs upgraded mid-term. There is no legal need to wait until one's present LTC expires.

Darius
I should add that Stoneham did not issue me the license originally. It was Medford, would that prevent Stoneham from upgrading the license?

I went through this situation in Melrose. My license application sat until just before I moved out of there, so it was a wasted effort. No harm in trying. But I wouldn't hold my breath. If you have some extra cash, try hiring Cross-X or Scrivener to help you out.

I should add that Stoneham did not issue me the license originally. It was Medford, would that prevent Stoneham from upgrading the license?
Nope. The chief can do what he wants.

AFAIK, only the issuing authority (Medford) could modify your LTC. Stoneham can't do that. YOU could file for a new LTC (which would supersede your current one) in Stoneham, pushing for a ALP at any time. Yes, you pay the $100 and go thru the BS all over again.

Very few if any chiefs will do this however. They could if they wanted to do so, but nothing can force them to do that.

IIRC you are required to notify the proper authorities (COP?) when you move to a new city or town. Perhaps if you plan on staying in Stoneham for a while you should consider "doing the right thing" [wink] and having your license reissued through Stoneham PD to reflect your new address. You do want to comply with the law as a responsible citizen, right? [wink] Oh, and while you are changing your address, perhaps you could check about the possibility of "upgrading" your LTC to a class A, ALP. How convenient.

Notification (by law) must be by Certified Mail/Return Receipt Requested, so a personal visit with the letter/form won't meet the law. Just an FYI.

Back
Top Bottom