• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC references

Chevy 2 65

NES Member
First time I came across this. Helping a friend out who moved from Rhode Island, lived there for 40 plus yrs.

Can references on the mAss LTC application be out of state? I could not find anything solid on it.

Thanks.
And buy a Glock [smile]

Anyone can write a reference.

Also, Bruen put a stop to all unnecessary bullshit that is outside the scope of the basic application. Even though the application asks for references, reasoning and whatever else they can’t/shouldn’t be able to deny the license.

First time I came across this. Helping a friend out who moved from Rhode Island, lived there for 40 plus yrs.

Can references on the mAss LTC application be out of state? I could not find anything solid on it.

Thanks.
And buy a Glock [smile]
If the application doesn't specify, then it doesn't matter where the person lives. No one will call.

I have been a reference 4 times, no one ever called. I waited, cried and waited some more, but nothing. Why don't they like Broc? (Sad music) [crying]

If the application doesn't specify, then it doesn't matter where the person lives. No one will call.

I have been a reference 4 times, no one ever called. I waited, cried and waited some more, but nothing. Why don't they like Broc? (Sad music) [crying]
Woburn called me when my friend applied

Even with that anecdata, I agree

i want to ask something, as my wife LTC saga will probably get delayed now for who knows what long... she always had very bad fingerprints - very thin lines. our police dep apparently got 'new and improved' scanner for fingerprints - and this new shit completely failed to take her fingers well. cop struggled with her for 40 min, then gave up and told her that now it will be submitted 'as is', then most likely be refused and will be returned back with demand to take the electronic scans again, which probably he thinks will fail again, then will be sent back with request for a paper copy. months to take.
anyone was via anything like this? as i am not sure what can be done with any of that BS, as it seems to be the process the state sets, not the town.

i want to ask something, as my wife LTC saga will probably get delayed now for who knows what long... she always had very bad fingerprints - very thin lines. our police dep apparently got 'new and improved' scanner for fingerprints - and this new shit completely failed to take her fingers well. cop struggled with her for 40 min, then gave up and told her that now it will be submitted 'as is', then most likely be refused and will be returned back with demand to take the electronic scans again, which probably he thinks will fail again, then will be sent back with request for a paper copy. months to take.
anyone was via anything like this? as i am not sure what can be done with any of that BS, as it seems to be the process the state sets, not the town.
I had a similar experience, only with an older machine. One officer struggled with my prints for almost an hour before calling in a different individual (that knew what she was doing, and was familiar with the nuances of that particular machine.) I think a few images still didn't meet the standard, but that apparently didn't matter. At least in my case.

If your wife has to go back again, there's certainly a chance that she'd have better luck the second time. Especially if the machine was new to the department, and user experience was limited.

I think a few images still didn't meet the standard, but that apparently didn't matter.
she says he was very upset, for real, and was cursing the machine, as he says the old one was not perfect but at least worked, and this new one is just a complete disaster.
we even know the guy, he lives not too far from us, so, no hidden ill conspiracies there.

not sure what actual experience is needed there, but, who knows, i hope it will eventually get resolved. as of machine - it is just a glass with a scanner. but, who knows. sucks.

I've used out of state before. I always use Staties and/or Chiefs of Police.
When I lived in MA, I purposely used 2 police officers (one lives in NH, retired) that the chief hated plus a federal agent (who lived in VA). On my NR LTC apps, I probably used the same.

When I lived in MA, I purposely used 2 police officers (one lives in NH, retired) that the chief hated plus a federal agent (who lived in VA). On my NR LTC apps, I probably used the same.

One my good friends best friend was retired FBI but he passed away recently however, my son-in-law's uncle is retired ATF. The higher up the ladder the better I say. Most of the cops I knew have retired or passed away. I only have 2 active Staties left I could use, 1 MA & 1 NH, and 2 active Chiefs I could use, 1 MA & NH.

Not in MA. But when I applied for my CT Non Resident LTC I bought a kit and did them myself, they were rejected. Then I went to my local PD and had fingerprints taken, they were rejected, Then I went to the nearest MSP barracks and had fingerprints taken, they were rejected.

I finally ended up driving down to CT and they took them there with a scanner, then I finally got the permit. That was awhile ago but I do remember the guy that took the fingerprints was in a real pissy mood, I thought he was going to break my fingers the way he was taking the prints.

I’m leaving it blank. You only put in references when your first time applying for whatever permit. It would be a bummer if it got kicked back because of that. But they don’t follow up with people anybody I thought it used to specify it couldn’t be a family member and I don’t know anybody I wouldn’t worry about it too much and you can definitely use out-of-state references.

Last edited:

Thanks.
And buy a Glock [smile]
Absolutely, you have the option to use your friend's name, regardless of their location in the US; it doesn't have to be in Massachusetts. My wife and I faced a similar scenario with our applications. When we moved from Colorado, we included our friend's name, who is currently residing in Colorado.

Absolutely, you have the option to use your friend's name, regardless of their location in the US; it doesn't have to be in Massachusetts. My wife and I faced a similar scenario with our applications. When we moved from Colorado, we included our friend's name, who is currently residing in Colorado.

Aren't you the guy that got his app rejected? Now you're giving app advice? 🤣

Anyone can write a reference.

Also, Bruen put a stop to all unnecessary bullshit that is outside the scope of the basic application. Even though the application asks for references, reasoning and whatever else they can’t/shouldn’t be able to deny the license.
I think NY still makes you get FOUR reference letters from people in the county you live in, plus you gotta surrender your social media accounts to the cops.

Aren't you the guy that got his app rejected? Now you're giving app advice? 🤣
Yea that's true, I got declined but not because of the references. My wife she got her LTC.
I am super jealous that you have LTC but I don't have one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom