Question about Chambered Round Changeout

I rarely unload my carry but when I do, the round goes in a box marked "once chambered". When I go to the range I shoot what's in that box first. Then the ball stuff. That gets me a mag or partial mag of my PP ammo for range practice. I never recycle a round that was chambered. It's just what I do.

Sent from the depths of Hell with TapaTalk V2

Yeah, good idea to cycle your defensive rounds that you chamber. I dry fire nearly everyday with my carry pistol so unloading and loading is an issue. Though I've never had a visible or function problem with the rounds I chamber (~300 times a year, 9mm Federal HST), I rotate the bullets in the magazines I carry (so 300/16 = ~ 19 chambers each a year), and then I shoot those rounds off at a minimum once a year.

I just checked them all against rounds fresh out of an unopened box. Every round was within 1mm of each other. Maybe it's the gun (P239) / feed ramp differences?

Yeah, I know, I get it. Theer are times I choose not to carry some place for a variety of reasons, including picking up my daughter inside her school. That isn't one I wish to roll the dice on. I was curious what others do, do you unload or leave it locked in a secure container in the vehicle but loaded.

I routinely have to pick up or drop my kids off at school which requires me go on school grounds (5 and 3 y/o so I have to bring them to the door of the school or inside). I unload and lock it in the lockbox that is in my truck. When I get back to the truck I load it and re-holster leaving the previously chambered round out. When convenient I will rotate that round to the bottom of the magazine. At the range I always shoot my EDC first using the ammo I carried it in with. So my I am changing out the rounds every couple of weeks. So far this has been fine for preventing the setback issue.

Stop clearing your pistol all the time.

If you do clear it to clean it or shoot other ammo, drop the slide on the round rather than loading it into a mag and feeding it.

Queue morons whining about dropping the slide and regurgitation of other uneducated, inexperienced gun myths.

You can't drop the slide on a loaded round then call other people morons. It just doesn't work that way.

Stop clearing your pistol all the time.

If you do clear it to clean it or shoot other ammo, drop the slide on the round rather than loading it into a mag and feeding it.

Queue morons whining about dropping the slide and regurgitation of other uneducated, inexperienced gun myths.

My sig would fail to go into battery if this was done. 4K+ trouble free rounds from the mag though.

But I must be a moron

One thing I noticed with my sig carry ammo id the casings get grooves from the magazine.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

My sig would fail to go into battery if this was done. 4K+ trouble free rounds from the mag though.

But I must be a moron

One thing I noticed with my sig carry ammo id the casings get grooves from the magazine.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Yeah, because Sig [rofl]

I've been CC'ing a lot lately and noticed my defensive ammo (JHP) chambered round gets a bit beat up after repeated loading/unloading of the same round, particularly around the rim area near the primer. On some occasions, I do not get an adequate feed when I go to chamber a round when I load my weapon prior to concealed carry. I usually remove these rounds once this happens and plan to use them at the range for target practice.

My question is, at what point or how many load/unload cycles do you folks go through prior to removing that round from your defensive carry ammo? I've noticed some rough areas around the rim area near the primer and believe this may be the cause of the infrequent load failures that I have experienced. Any thoughts/suggestions? Don't want to get caught short when/if the SHTF...

Thanks!

I ran into this problem for a long time. I carry two guns every day and I often do range trips and dry firing so I'm not at all a supporter of the "load it once and leave it" line. For me it was the mouth of the HP ammo that gets beat up, not the rear of the case. Either way though, I'd imagine the solution is the same. I started chamber loading the round, letting the slide forward slowly, then pinching the extractor with my finger while applying forward pressure to get it into battery. This keeps you from wearing your extractor and also keeps it from slamming into the round and beating it up. Some guns don't have an extractor that's set up well for this, but with others it's super easy.

Using this method, I can keep chamber loading the same round infinitely. The round in the chamber on my primary gun right now has probably been loaded 100 times. No wear on the bullet or case. I do the same thing with my AR when I unload it every morning to put it in the car, then load it when I get home and bring it inside. Works well.

Back
Top Bottom