Question for Landowners

Forgive me if this question has already been asked but to any landowners in NH or MA that target shoot on their property, would you be open to letting someone bring their own targets and spend a few hours with immediate family under the understanding that you would not be "compensated" nor liable for any such activities but there would be a token of gratitude left behind in the way of a few OEM branded boxes of 9mm or 40cal ammo?

Forgive me if this question has already been asked but to any landowners in NH or MA that target shoot on their property, would you be open to letting someone bring their own targets and spend a few hours with immediate family under the understanding that you would not be "compensated" nor liable for any such activities but there would be a token of gratitude left behind in the way of a few OEM branded boxes of 9mm or 40cal ammo?

No... There is no such thing as not being liable. So, No....

Good luck man... I'd try your friend group / community first.

After water, disposable lighters, food, and ammunition, "a small, trusted community" is the best asset you can have in troubled times..

Appreciate all the responses, constructive and otherwise :)
Probably worth saying that after looking into the gun club route, it likely won't be an option. I went and spent too much acquiring a bunch of steel targets during a Black Friday sale (dualing tree, Texas star, other active targets) and am having little luck finding a gun club where you can rent a space with backdrop to be able to setup these targets. Way overdue to get my son and wife out there practicing while having some fun. Guess I'm back to looking for some larger lots in NH to do this. ME looks to be more reasonable but the 4+ hr trip would make it tough to do day trips.

The problem with bringing targets to a range(club) and leaving them there is they’ll be trashed..I already have all those targets at my property. But id almost let you shoot there under my supervision if you’re willing to pick up all my f***ing targets and paint them.

There is no such thing as no liability. What’s the saying you could indite an an egg salad sandwich?

It’s unlikely you’ll find somebody that will give you free rain of their property...

What it all comes down to is regardless of whether somethings legal and right. The amount of shit you get for it ain’t worth it..

It would probably help if you had more than two posts. If you look at my history and my first post I did the exact same thing you’re trying to do to shoot my machine guns. I actually met my best friend that way. So I’m open to the idea

This is my first social media post, as well as my initiation into being lambasted by nes forum members...Within 24 hours somebody let me come shoot on their property. It’s a pretty embarrassing but I leave it there because it’s funny..

The Polish plate rack is by far my favorite. That and squirrel with butter..My place is in Complete Disrepair all the trees came down and smashed everything. I haven’t been up there in almost a year. I just shoot at the farm now.

Attachments

• 3116B45F-363F-4B9D-95EB-919AB38FE95B.jpeg
    3116B45F-363F-4B9D-95EB-919AB38FE95B.jpeg
    905 KB · Views: 62
  • 5CB1E081-2AF0-42D7-B969-E45FEB61EE66.jpeg
    5CB1E081-2AF0-42D7-B969-E45FEB61EE66.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 59
  • 3898C379-3ABC-4114-8A4A-C622D8A95A49.jpeg
    3898C379-3ABC-4114-8A4A-C622D8A95A49.jpeg
    395.1 KB · Views: 62
  • A15EF04E-DE7B-45E9-BCD6-978EF1D2407A.jpeg
    A15EF04E-DE7B-45E9-BCD6-978EF1D2407A.jpeg
    994.7 KB · Views: 250
  • 7B3BDFF0-DB29-4F89-B11A-BA700D3B65D3.jpeg
    7B3BDFF0-DB29-4F89-B11A-BA700D3B65D3.jpeg
    683.5 KB · Views: 67
Probably worth saying that after looking into the gun club route, it likely won't be an option. I went and spent too much acquiring a bunch of steel targets during a Black Friday sale (dualing tree, Texas star, other active targets) and am having little luck finding a gun club where you can rent a space with backdrop to be able to setup these targets. Way overdue to get my son and wife out there practicing while having some fun. Guess I'm back to looking for some larger lots in NH to do this. ME looks to be more reasonable but the 4+ hr trip would make it tough to do day trips.
Why is a gun club not an option?

No.....they dont rent by the hour

But once you join you have access just about any time you want. Most clubs are about $200 a year

Most clubs arent accepting new applicants, however , if you post the area your looking in , there may be some options .

As mentioned, it would help if we knew your general location.
I have not been in a few years, but I used to bring my dueling tree to Ames in Easton with no issues.

I used to hold six memberships to gun ranges.It’s like $1000-$1500 a year. I’d rather cops come talk to me then have to deal with every yahoo asking me questions. I know it’s exciting to see real guns but it gets to a point When there’s a cease-fire and you’re down range and somebody shoots. Other than the NES shoots and some competitions, without RSO’s it’s just not a situation I ever want to be in.

Edit… Maybe it’s just the 2000s time someone’s pointed a Firearm at or shot at me. Id rather teach children most of them listen

you need land. and a direction to fire at that will contain ALL stray bullets. A gravel pit would be great. But just a big berm, or an upsloping grade to catch any errant bullet. then HOPE your neighbors are not antis

NRA used to have guidelines on how to set up a range...not sure hey still do.

I used to hold six memberships to gun ranges.It’s like $1000-$1500 a year. I’d rather cops come talk to me then have to deal with every yahoo asking me questions. I know it’s exciting to see real guns but it gets to a point When there’s a cease-fire and you’re down range and somebody shoots. Other than the NES shoots and some competitions, without RSO’s it’s just not a situation I ever want to be in.

Edit… Maybe it’s just the 2000s time someone’s pointed a Firearm at or shot at me. Id rather teach children most of them listen
i taught a few basic hunter education courses here in MA. i was amazed at how many times one of the students would sweep the crowd. a couple in every class

i taught a few basic hunter education courses here in MA. i was amazed at how many times one of the students would sweep the crowd. a couple in every class
Going shooting ducks we would always try to spot who brings a semi-auto 12ga, as you guess what happens as he starts turning while tracing the flying flock.

Spend all this money on targets but won’t spend the money to join a club?

I realize some don’t allow you to bring your own steel but my local range does with approval by the club president.

Of course having some free open land to shoot on is ideal but not possible for most unless you know people or buy some land of your own.

Last edited:
I hate to sound like a DB ... but very, very few people in this world take responsibility for their own actions and wouldn't try to sue if something happened.

Example: I blew up a revolver in July 2020. It is amazing how many people told me to go after the manufacturer when it was 100% my fault. Not only I DID NOT go after them, I paid them to repair it.

It is sad, but if little Johnny shoots his foot and the hospital bill is a few thousand dollars, and now little Johnny can't walk normal for the rest of his life, many people will turn into total d*cks.

Thank the courts for enabling people to not be held responsible for their actions.

That being said, many people here are awesome, you just have to hang out and make friends. You are brand new, no one knows you.

I hate to sound like a DB ... but very, very few people in this world take responsibility for their own actions and wouldn't try to sue if something happened.

Example: I blew up a revolver in July 2020. It is amazing how many people told me to go after the manufacturer when it was 100% my fault. Not only I DID NOT go after them, I paid them to repair it.

It is sad, but if little Johnny shoots his foot and the hospital bill is a few thousand dollars, and now little Johnny can't walk normal for the rest of his life, many people will turn into total d*cks.

Thank the courts for enabling people to not be held responsible for their actions.
i had some complications from eye surgery a couple years ago.
but it did not seem to have been a mistake the doctor made, but more my underlying health conditions, and the weird egg shape of my eye, that seem to cause the complications. I too could not care less about suing anyone, i just wanted them to fix my eye.
I saw probably 12 different eye doctors at my hospital over the next 2 months, and i could TELL they were VERY hesitant to explain what was going on, or possible treatments to fix it. Well, after a while, when they realized i had no interest in suing them, all sorts of treatments popped up to help me out...like YAG lasers to improve the cloudiness, etc. It was like night and day. today, i see better out of that eye than the other one that had no problems.

Last edited:
I know plenty of clubs that are accepting applications.
All the S.NH clubs I am aware of have a waitlist, some so deep that they aren't taking applications.
NRA used to have guidelines on how to set up a range...not sure hey still do.
NRA Range Source book, stopped updating it years ago, still sold on the NRA website.

If you want to see what's in it Texas DSHS has a copy of an outdated edition.

Last edited:
Oh dude...

You should have asked first.

Very few clubs, if any, will allow you to set up a Texas star. It takes time to bring it all down range, then you shoot it in 10 seconds and have to go set it up again ... if I was shooting at the range and you wanted me to stop every 10 seconds I would tell you to f*ck off or let me shoot your Texas star.

There are clubs that have steel, Westwood, Harvard, Hopkinton ...

Some, like Westwood will allow you to use your own steel, you have to ask first.

No one will allow you to rent a spot.

You can try joining Granby for around $100. They have several action pits, you can drive right up to the pit and I am sure they will allow you to put your own steel (ask them first).

Granby is the easiest club to join. But don't be a moron, it is a great club and we don't need some idiot causing it to shut down.

If you want to meet people, sign up for Granby Steel Challenfe and USPSA, in their calendar, every month.

..My place is in Complete Disrepair all the trees came down and smashed everything. I haven’t been up there in almost a year. I just shoot at the farm now.
a15ef04e-de7b-45e9-bcd6-978ef1d2407a-jpeg.488564
5buq23.jpg

Back
Top Bottom