• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question for those of you who CCW on a regular basis

Nashmack

Banned
This question just occured to me while reading the thread about the WalMart Idiot ( http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10662 )

When you're carrying and ya gotta go in a public restroom, what do you do with your sidearm?

Whenever possible I use a holster that has a retention system, and I try to bring something like a jacket in with me to cover it with (1 I mean the pistol, 2 it's so I don't scare any sheeple!) or I try to arrange it so it's covered by my pants. It doesn't leave the holster at all.

What do the rest of ya do?

Similar to you Nashmack, have a good holster.

... and it should go without saying: usea stall not a urinal.

Luckily I have good bladder control: I can be out for 10 hours without "needing" to go. [grin]

Mine never leaves the holster.

A good holster will do the job. My early on cheap clip-ons did result in a few "clatters" when the pistol fell out on the floor twice while in a stall. Luckily in both cases, I was the only one in the restroom at the time. My Milt Sparks SS II will not spill out the gun in a like circumstance.

I don't bother with "cover" in a stall. The likelihood of someone peeking under the stalls is infinitesimally small and not something to worry about.

I have a really good Tucker holster that stays right on my belt. I just roll the whole thing into my drawers for a cover when the pants are down.

Other times, I wear my Smartcarry which stays around my waist with its own belt. This is really the best option, I think. When using a Smartcarry, forget about the way they tell you to wear it. Wear it on the side like a regular holster. Since it has it's own belt, you can wear it high above the belt line, butt exposed, like a belt holster and wear an untucked shirt or simply push it down INTO your pants below the belt line and tuck over it if you need deep cover. Either way it doesn't weigh your pants down... and you get a place to carry an extra magazine.

And it stays in place on the john.

Sorry for the slight thread drift.

Its all about the holster as others have stated... that being said I have a carry piece small enough to fit into my pants pocket or jacket pocket when need be.

When you're carrying and ya gotta go in a public restroom, what do you do with your sidearm?

That is the sort of thing you should practise at home. What happens to your concealed firearm when you have to perform some "unusual" manuveurs. Will your carry system allow you to bend, reach, stretch in different directions, relieve yourself in public facilities. Find out what works or doesn't work for your carry system before you need to do it.

I've only needed the stall for #2. For #1, I don't undo the belt, so there is no issue.

For #2 (or 10-200 as the Bandit would say) I have not had any issues. I usually loop the end of the belt back through a loop to hold it in place (I have had the holster start to slide on the belt) and otherwise it's business as usual.

If someone starts to get nosey, just act out a scene from Austin Powers and ask in a loud voice "Who Does Number Two Work For?" and I'm sure people will leave you alone.... (^_^)

I usually loop the end of the belt back through a loop to hold it in place (I have had the holster start to slide on the belt) and otherwise it's business as usual.

This is the sign of a bad holster/belt combo. I have a hell of a time getting my holsters to even intentionally slide over a small amount to adjust them to proper alignment once they are on the belt/pants! I'm using a Wilderness Tactical Instructor Belt. A holster like Gary Brommeland's Def-Con http://brommelandgunleather.com/Products/def-con.htm is specifically designed NOT to move on the belt at all!

As a matter of habit, if I'm using a conventional belt, I also loop it back while it is unbuckled.

This is the sign of a bad holster/belt combo.

Mitch Rosen belt and holster. Hard to call that a bad combo.

Actually, my description was off. I don't think the holster moved on the belt, but rather the belt slipped in the pant loops. Either way, I saw the whole rig start to move and got a nice adrenalin rush.

Asked someone I trusted about it and learned the 'tuck back' trick.

Mitch Rosen belt and holster. Hard to call that a bad combo.

Actually, my description was off. I don't think the holster moved on the belt, but rather the belt slipped in the pant loops. Either way, I saw the whole rig start to move and got a nice adrenalin rush.

Asked someone I trusted about it and learned the 'tuck back' trick.

[laugh2] 'Tuck Back' trick? For which weapon?

If you have a cheapy clip on holster (like what im stuck with at the moment)
just take the whole gun and holster as a "unit" and lay it in the crotch
of your pants "the nest" while doing business. Then when you get
up just reattach the holster/gun combo to whatever position it was on your
belt.

Belt holsters though are a bit different.... especially if its a compact
belt holster like a JIT slide. In that case I unbelt, drop trou a bit, and
then rebuckle it temporarily, and use my legs to "supply tension" so the gun
doesnt flop around.

-Mike

Last edited:
Belt holsters though are a bit different.... especially if its a compact
belt holster like a JIT slide. In that case I unbelt, drop trou a bit, and
then rebuckle it temporarily, and use my legs to "supply tension" so the gun
doesnt flop around.

I do do something a little different, almost like what you described with the clip-on. Just take the holster (the further back you wear it the better) and slide that part of your pants, belt, and holster behind the back of your leg and place it in the "nest" and it is right there if you need it. As you stand up you can pull the whole unit up with your pants.

Hmm

I dunno, I carry IWB at 5 o'clock. When I have to #1, I just hit the urinal or stall, never touch my belt, just unzip the fly, that is what it is there for. With #2, I do exactly what I would do if I were unarmed: I pull down my pants and sit down. The holster (CompTac C.T.A.C.) retains my firearm, not that it matters because I pull everything straight down so there is no reason for it to flip. Since my pants are around my ankle and I carry at 5 o'clock, the handgun is hidden by my pants and my legs. When I'm done, just stand up and pull up pants, fasten belt.

I never understand why people have problems. You must be using a bad holster or something. Or maybe a cheap belt, mine is a double thick Galco COP.

Back
Top Bottom