Question regarding pistols in MA for a friend of mine whose moving to the state...

A friend of mine is moving to MA. He's researched what he has to be able to do to own a pistol in the state and is proceeding accordingly. One thing he was grey on though is that he currently owns a Glock 17; does he have to sell it/transfer it to a friend before he moves (since its not on "the list) or is he allowed to keep it since he already owns it?

He also asked if he ends up moving to NH eventually can he carry a Glock into MA, provided he has his out of state unrestricted...and uses the 10 round magazines.

Thanks in advance! Hopefully he'll join up in a few months once he moves; I'm trying to convince him.

My belief was he just can't BUY a new one once he gets here...but if its already his- he's ok. IE- the law has to do with dealers selling them...not ownership of them.

Last edited:
...he currently owns a Glock 17; does he have to sell it/transfer it to a friend before he moves (since its not on "the list) or is he allowed to keep it since he already owns it?

He can bring it with him (minus any post-ban large capacity mags).

He also asked if he ends up moving to NH eventually can he carry a Glock into MA, provided he has his out of state unrestricted...and uses the 10 round magazines.

He can't possess ANY firearm in MA without a resident or non-resident LTC.

My belief was he just can't BUY a new one once he gets here...but if its already his- he's ok. IE- the law has to do with dealers selling them...not ownership of them.

Absolutely correct.

Thanks, that's what I thought. Sorry, when I said "out of state unrestricted" I was referring to a non-resident MA LTC; not an out-of-state unrestricted LTC; could have been more clear on that!

Back
Top Bottom