Question

I am guessing at least some of you on this board have had the great honor of serving in the millitary (thank you for your service). I have a question for you guys, how does time off in the army work? I know most of the time you get weekends off, but what is the system for being able to visit your family every once and a while? Do you get x number of days of leave per year? I dont know any recruiters to talk to at the moment, and I am not planning to enlist for a while. This question isnt dependant on my choice or anything (I wanna join the army to be in the army, not for the benefits) I was just merely curious and figured one of you might be able to answer my question.

You get 30 days/year of leave. It will be dependent on the training cycle and deployments when you can take it. If you go in, you will get deployed to the sandbox at least once or maybe more.

Best of luck.

B

The only problem with that contract is that it is a "one-way" contract. Everything is "for the convenience of the gov't".

My first job was as a nuclear engineer at GD/EB on nuclear subs. I got to know and work with a lot of Navy officers and enlisted men. One Reactor Officer kept suggesting that I join up and pick up a commission. I told him that I didn't like his contract [wink] . . . at the time they were heavily advertising that you got 30 days/year off. However, I knew that he was losing his days off since they couldn't spare him from the boat and the 30 days are "use it or lose it". He just sputtered (good naturedly) when I countered with the vacation time issue. It was all done in good fun, but the serious side is that the gov't "owns you" when you are in the military.

Had 30 days a year for time off, but as far as weekends off yeah right.[thinking] Glenn and I worked Field Station. We had an actual mission. 24/7, 365. We worked shift work. I worked more swing shift than anything, but he worked what we called 6+2. 6 days on 2 days off, rotate, days, swings, mids. Holidays included.So basically every 8 days you change shift.
What BPM said is also true, you will find yourself in one fo the sandboxes at some time it is a given. We have one son due back shortly from his tour. He is NG. If you deploy, you work 6 days on 1 day off. You do get 2 weeks R&R. You have to give 3 choices then for when you want your time off and it is up to your command then as to which one you will get.
Oh and My weekends off were thursday, and fridays. When I worked straight shift.
Some of the others might chime in, but depending on your MOS you may be working weekends too and your days off will be during the week and which ever shift. Don't know if they still do 6&2.
Best of luck to you.

On September 19, 2001, THEODORE ROOSEVELT departed on her seventh deployment to the Mediterranean and Arabian Gulf. As of early February 2002, the ROOSEVELT battle group had been operating at sea for a near-record 140 days without a port call, engaged in air operations in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. On 19 February 2002, TR broke the record of 152 consecutive days at sea, set by the carrier DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER (CVN 69) in 1980. On 27 February 2002, THEODORE ROOSEVELT entered port in Bahrain, where the US has maintenance and recreation facilities, after a record 160 days at sea. In March 2002, the carrier returned home to Norfolk, Va.

But on the upside, TR never runs out of hot water [grin]

You are also subject to call-up even after your enlistment is over if the military decides it needs your MOS bad enough. (54B)

Yeah, I was told that when I ETS'd out of Dix. I also told them good luck finding me.[laugh]
So I take it that happened to you, Arioch.

how does time off in the army work? I know most of the time you get weekends off,

weekends off? [rofl]

I got a good chuckle at the "weekends off" comment. I was in the Navy assigned to a fighter squadron off of the USS Midway. Longest deployment was over 9 months during Operation Ernest Will. We came close to breaking the record regarding longest period of time between port calls, but missed it by a few days if I remember right. Ahhh, nothing like 12 on 12 off for months on end. I did enjoy night opts on the deck though. No such thing as weekends off when your deployed. I'd get that one right out of your mind.

Now, I commend you on wanting to join the military. As others have said, you do get 30 days a year off, but it may be hard to take that much time off depending upon what your unit is doing.

Take my advise though. No matter what branch you are going in for, you want to get training that will serve you when you get out of the military. This is key. Unless you are in for the long haul, you will be better served if you come out with knowledge in something. Whether it's electronics, computers, logistics etc, you will make out in the end. Also, if your recruiter says you will get a certain school you want, and I cant say this strongly enought, GET IT IN WRITING!!! Not that all recruiters will lie, but why take the chance. Oh and no matter what you think of college now, get the GI bill even if you don't think you'll use it. You may change your mind and the money will come in good use.

Good luck.

Oh, I know all about 12 on 12 off also.[laugh] I also almost had my leave cancelled because we were so short handed.[grin] Oh, and also the only thing they do guarantee is your school, there is a nice clause called NEEDS of the ARMY. Just ask my son on that one. He's a combat engineer doing MP duties right now.[wink]

Also, if your recruiter says you will get a certain school you want, and I cant say this strongly enought, GET IT IN WRITING!!!
I know someone who got a verbal promise for mechanic school in the USMC, but did not want to insult the friendly recruiter by demanding it in writing (yes, really). He got orders to be a cook. (This was about 25 years ago)

His uncle (someone who did not have any particular clout, but is a veteran and knows how things work) called the recruiter and kept moving up the chain asking "who is your CO and how do I reach him?". Eventually, the recruit was called into a Colonel's office in Paris Island and got a real yelling at - but, the recuit would only tell the truth and would not back off his story. The marines investigated, and concluded by sending him to mechanic school. He served honorably and has since been honorably discharged.

MOS and enlistmment

all kidding aside, the score on your aptitude test will dictate what MOS's you have a choice of; even the military isn't stupid enough to take a recruit with high math skills, for example, and put them at the end of a shovel. so do your best on the IQ tests, especially if you like the special forces group...[cheers]

Weekends off? Only if you luck out and get a desk job in garrison.

As an MP, we worked a 12 on, 3 off schedule. 3 day shifts, 3 swings, 3 mids and then 3 training days. The 3 training days had to be done before your days off. If a weekend interrupted the training, we got the weekend off. Then a training day, then a day off.

These were supposed to be 8 hour shifts. However, when you add up the time it takes before/after shift to get ready (boots spit shined, brass polished, white hat white, helmet liner polished, leather gear polished, uniform ironed, briefcase organized, draw weapons, draw vehicles, then stand Guardmount) it could easily turn into a 12-16 hour day. Now add in a major bust with the ensuing paperwork (including Police Reports and Sworn Statements for traffic tickets) you are really dragging.

During the holidays when most folks took leave, we went to a 6 on, 6 off schedule, 12 hour days. All of the above still applied.

If you lived in the barracks, you were subject to all sorts of recall on your days off. Filling in for short squads, doing parades, funeral details, etc.

Most people think MP stands for Military Police. Wrong! It stands for Multi Purpose!

One last Caveat: RECRUITERS LIE!!!

all kidding aside, the score on your aptitude test will dictate what MOS's you have a choice of; even the military isn't stupid enough to take a recruit with high math skills, for example, and put them at the end of a shovel. so do your best on the IQ tests, especially if you like the special forces group...[cheers]

Unless it is something they really want to do. One son went 11B, other went combat engineer. They both scored high. Their reasoning also is they have other skills to fall back on once they are out. They both went to a voke school. One culinary, and the other welding. The one that welds has also put his skills to use over in the sandbox also.

Weekends off? Only if you luck out and get a desk job in garrison.

As an MP, we worked a 12 on, 3 off schedule. 3 day shifts, 3 swings, 3 mids and then 3 training days. The 3 training days had to be done before your days off. If a weekend interrupted the training, we got the weekend off. Then a training day, then a day off.

These were supposed to be 8 hour shifts. However, when you add up the time it takes before/after shift to get ready (boots spit shined, brass polished, white hat white, helmet liner polished, leather gear polished, uniform ironed, briefcase organized, draw weapons, draw vehicles, then stand Guardmount) it could easily turn into a 12-16 hour day. Now add in a major bust with the ensuing paperwork (including Police Reports and Sworn Statements for traffic tickets) you are really dragging.

During the holidays when most folks took leave, we went to a 6 on, 6 off schedule, 12 hour days. All of the above still applied.

If you lived in the barracks, you were subject to all sorts of recall on your days off. Filling in for short squads, doing parades, funeral details, etc.

Most people think MP stands for Military Police. Wrong! It stands for Multi Purpose!

Which is why when I lived in the barracks, my days off I was not there. If you happened to get seen and they needed something done didn't matter it was your day off. Always told my boss have fun finding me on my days off.[wink]
Nah MP was always Mud Puppy to us.[laugh]
Son is not enjoying MP duties either right now in Iraq. His quote was if he had wanted to be an MP he would have stayed at Leonard Wood for the extra weeks to become one.

Not ALL Recruiters lie. Most of the NG recruiters I have run across don't, they still have to see everyone. Some don't give a damn either though.
There also one on this board who is very up front and honest.[wink] Yes there are recruiters that do lie just to get you to sign though. Tends to be the Reg. Army ones are the ones I heard the most about.

Amen to that! I was in the delayed entry program as I joined up while half way through my senior year in high school. We had to meet with the recruiters every month and two months before I left a new kid joined the meeting. He was all excited that the recruiter told him he could easily upgrade to flight training school if he joined the Airmen Apprentiship program. No college no nothing. The recruiter that was holding the meeting wasn't the one that told this kid that, so after the meeting the recruiter took this kid aside and told him the truth of it all. The kid wasn't so happy at the next meeting.

Unless it is something they really want to do. One son went 11B, other went combat engineer. They both scored high. Their reasoning also is they have other skills to fall back on once they are out. They both went to a voke school. One culinary, and the other welding. The one that welds has also put his skills to use over in the sandbox also.

the key word i used is "choice"; ultimately, you can pick what you want, i suppose. i think we all would like ERICMAN to have the option of the best job possible, as was suggested earlier, to give yourself usable training in the civilian world. want to be in combat? be an RTO. they give the radio and map to the guy who can read and write. don't worry, you'll be in the s**t, but you'll be with the platoon leader and know what is going on, not walking point.

now that we have ERICMAN all spun around, keep this in mind:
1) how do you know if a recruiter is lying? when his mouth is open.
2) DO get everything in writing.
3) don't be surprised when you don't get the job you asked for. needs of the army is always the 2nd choice.
4) DO do well on the aptitude test. if you want to be a rifleman, make it YOUR choice.
5) go in with the right attitude. remember: the army wants you to succeed.
6) in basic, keep your mouth shut as much as you can.
7) also in basic, look for chow you can eat quickly, you won't have much time.
8) if you are given a task you do not care for, do it well, but no so well they remember you the next time.
9) pay attention to details (locker, clothes folded correctly) and be ready for unexpected "chores" the night before an inspection.
10) have fun. you'll always remember basic training!

good luck!

TZ gave you some great advise. The only other things I would recommend is to:

1. Learn the 11 General Orders of a sentry
2. Learn the ranking system of the branch you are looking to join.

If you have time before you leave for boot camp, learn these in advance. It will save you all kinds of grief. I can't remember how many push ups I had to do because I slipped on a general order when approached during guard duty at night in boot camp.

Oh and if your a natural kidder, do NOT joke around in boot camp. One night a DI came into our barracks and was approached by the sentry who states the basic, Halt, who goes there!?. The DI responded Daffy Duck, in which the sentry responded, We'll fly your @ss over here and be recognized. The DI was NOT amused.

Oh and if you learn nothing else from this thread, TZ hit the most important thing on the head while in basic. "Keep your mouth shut at all times, unless asked a direct question!" Best advise someone could give you.

DO NOT VOLUNTEER!

My first night in the barracks, the Drill asked my platoon "How many of you can pass the PT test tomorrow?" A bunch of hands went up (mine included).
"Well then, you guys don't have to take it!". We were like "WOW!". He let it soak in for a minute then told us, "All you self-proclaimed physical specimens have KP duty. Wake up is 0300!"

That was the last time I raised my hand for anything for the next 16 weeks!

[laugh2] [laugh2] Yeah that was always a big one. Also go to church on Sundays. Even if you aren't religious. We told both boys to do that. If you hang around the barracks you will be put to work. It is the one place the DI's can't mess with you.

One son actually went to a bunch of different churches, with various buddies. Alan will tell you he is not religious, but when he was packing to go to Iraq, all the bibles, rosarie beads, etc that he had gotten in basic/AIT went with him.

Back
Top Bottom