Questions, Questions, Questions

Garys

NES Member
I'm full of, uh, questions. <G>

In no particular order,

Opinions on the SKS as a general shooting rifle? I should probably clarify that. Mostly just recreational shooting at a local range. I have a Ruger 10/22, but want something a little bigger.

Does anyone have experience in getting a C&R FFL? How tough is it?

Home defense shot gun, 20 ga or 12 ga?

I've done a fair amount of handgun shooting, but am just now starting to shoot rifles. Are there any good resources for new shooters? Especially on line ones?

See, I told you I was full of questions.

Welcome to the forum!

SKS Resources:
http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/wwwboard/board3/index.html
http://www.simonov.net/
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Gorge/4653/sks_main.htm

C&R FFL:
There is a long thread here about getting a C&R FFL. Use the Search feature and you'll have a lot of good reading to do. It is easy and well worthwhile.

Home Defense:
I live in an area with lots of houses nearby, therefore my research points out that an AR15 with proper ammo gives less chance to over-penetration causing potential damage to other homes or residents.

If I lived in the sticks, the shotgun might be a good choice.

Therefore, there is no one right answer, a lot depends on the environment around you.

Garys said:
Does anyone have experience in getting a C&R FFL? How tough is it?

Fill out the form, send 'em a check for $30 and wait 3 weeks. Worked for me. :D

Garys said:
Home defense shot gun, 20 ga or 12 ga?
.45 ACP. But there's a lot of discussion on one of the other sections about what loads to use in a shotgun.

Garys said:
Are there any good resources for new shooters? Especially on line ones?

Uh... you found it. Right here. We're full of... advice. Yup, that's what I wanted to say. :D :D :D

Ross

I've got an SKS. Can't remember when I last shot it. Got a be at least several years ago. Sight radius is way too short. Top-loading is kludgy at best. Trigger is ok at best. It's reliable and was relatively cheap. Not terribly accurate.

I've got to have at least 100 times more rounds through my AR15 than through my SKS.

Inaccurate guns don't interest me.

You would think so, wouldn't you? He seems to be unusually intelligent for someone from Commiefornia... this quote might explain it. It's from an article by John Stossel.

What's the special risk? As Alex Kozinski, a federal appeals judge and an immigrant from Eastern Europe, warned in 2003, "the simple truth -- born of experience -- is that tyranny thrives best where government need not fear the wrath of an armed people."

"The prospect of tyranny may not grab the headlines the way vivid stories of gun crime routinely do," Judge Kozinski noted. "But few saw the Third Reich coming until it was too late. The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

As I said, a very intelligent man. I wish there were more of him in our courts.

If they did lock Judge Kozinski away, it most likely wasn't for the little sound bites that tend to get posted. Those were merely the frosting on a rather long and very well written dissent in which he methodically and logically destroyed the majority opinion, providing numerous quotes and legal citations to proove that the right to keep and bear arms was always considered an individual right enforcable against both the federal government and the states. This only started to change when government was forced to accept that that body of individuals included blacks as well as whites, which had never really been acceptable (see the Dread Scott decision). Even then, the "collective right" position only started to become articulated in the 1930s, being accepted by some lower and appelate courts, but never by the US Supreme Court. Kozinski had to be put away, less his thought crime spread to others on the nutty nineth.

Ken

KMaurer said:
If they did lock Judge Kozinski away, it most likely wasn't for the little sound bites that tend to get posted. Those were merely the frosting on a rather long and very well written dissent in which he methodically and logically destroyed the majority opinion,

Yeah, I did look up his opinion and read the whole thing when it came out. I thought it was amazing that this came out of someone in California, actually.

Like I said, we need more like him.

Back
Top Bottom